Short fat rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Crossfire. Here it is on a J460R airstarting 4 G69 skids.

2010_0619_120216.jpg

Here's the on board video from Bong:

Last edited:
Here's my Polecat Aerospace Goblin 5.5 (my L2 bird).

Rocket to the left is a 2.6" downscale F/G Goblin by Madcow Rocketry with 29mm pipe. Not present is an identical Madcow F/G Goblin with a 38mm motor mount.

What can I say? I like Goblins.

Motor hardware to the right is a 2000 Dr. Rockets 38/480 commemorative, serial number 042.
Photo taken at Snow Ranch.

Cert motor used was Aerotech J420 Red and subsequently flown on Cesaroni J316 Pink (duh!).
GoblinFamilyPortrait01.jpg GoblinFamilyPortrait01.jpg

To deal with those pesky Estes Mega Mosquitoes... I have my Deep Space OFFL (Puns&Jokes)

21584510095_ffe4d7e164.jpg

My Warlock. This is a great short, fat rocket.
83C3BAC1-5E4E-440F-A55A-885E4ABBB48E.jpeg

Here’s one I made out of rigid foam insulation board with a wrap of fiberglass. It’s super light. This rocket is 48” long and 7” in diameter, while the Warlock is 52” long and 7.5” in diameter. So they aren’t exactly the same, but they’re close. The foam one weighs just under 4 pounds, while the Warlock weighs around 7.5 pounds. It’s a really fun rocket for long-burn motors, because it stays slow. It’s light enough to get off the pad quickly, but then drag keeps it slow. I flew it on an I125 last month to 1,600 feet. That’s a 4.4 second burn to 1,600 feet — a very low and slow flight under thrust almost the whole time.

9E6FBA18-7AC8-4254-953E-9F3308FCC9D2.jpeg

I keep searching for photo of my favorite. I will post it when I find it. It had flat plates on the trailing edges of the fins.

E7BBA3E1-07E3-4AF0-9F7E-AA189934607E.jpeg

I had one of these, severely underpowered and fell apart after a few flights.
This isn’t mine, it is from this thread

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-porta-potshot-first-look.97233/

I actually have one unbuilt kit. I was thinking about modifying it for rear eject with a D Motor. Rear eject not just for the obvious thematic points, but as designed IMO there just isn’t room for wadding and chute. But I would say this is the consummate “squatty” rocket!

View attachment 406844

I had one of these, severely underpowered and fell apart after a few flights.
This isn’t mine, it is from this thread

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-porta-potshot-first-look.97233/

I actually have one unbuilt kit. I was thinking about modifying it for rear eject with a D Motor. Rear eject not just for the obvious thematic points, but as designed IMO there just isn’t room for wadding and chute. But I would say this is the consummate “squatty” rocket!

I think this could be a good 3D project. Any interest?

I think this could be a good 3D project. Any interest?
I was thinking the same thing, yes, I would be interested. I know zip about printing, but I think I could come up with good design for the motor mount, rear eject system, basically the guts (intestines?) of the rocket.

The original is foam, which made it real light but also very fragile. Estes MIRV has the same problem (and is likewise severely underpowered.)

I am guessing 3D printed side panels would be heavier than the foam. Could you build such a thing, upscale it to maybe 14 inches not including fins, and keep the mass with motor and recovery under 396 grams for a 24 mm D?

Back