Shop Mom n Pop

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan R

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The current situation is going to create a big economic dent. People aren't going out. They're buying up all the TP from WalMart and what not. Those big chain stores are always going to be ok.

The people who are really going to get hit are your local Mom N Pop shops. Support them any way you can, especially now. They're the ones who need your help.

Buy from your local-owned stores. Order some takeout once a week from a favorite local restaurant.

Every little bit helps.

Very well put,I could't agree more. Even some of the bigger 'chain' outfits (fast food joints, auto repair places, etc.) are franchises owned and run by a local owner, and margins are often tight for them too.

Very good idea. And that applies to all the little rocketry vendors, too. I just placed an order for more rail buttons with rail-buttons.com
I switched to micro and mini buttons for most of my small to mid-sized rockets about two years ago. They just introduced new one-piece minis and 1010 buttons with recessed stainless screws. They are on sale now thru 3/27. The minis are 10 for $3.25, 1010 are 10 for $4.00. The 1515s are also on sale.

If you haven’t tried minis or micros, here is a picture of them, next to the MakerBeam (10mm) rail, and the 8020 20mm rail. The buttons are shown next to a 1/8” launch lug.

MakerBeam is also available in clear anodizing. This one is 900mm, I now have the clear in 1500mm. Amazon carries them, as well as the 20mm rails. Shown is my Super Orbital Transport on an 8 foot long 20mm rail.

0C03221D-8726-4F7A-8D5C-544C74B1B648.jpeg 2CECD53D-6BB1-4C03-9638-6C74109BD7DE.jpeg

MakerBeam is also available in clear anodizing. This one is 900mm, I now have the clear in 1500mm. Amazon carries them, as well as the 20mm rails. Shown is my Super Orbital Transport on an 8 foot long 20mm rail.

I love your OT. I agree that it is good to order from the small businesses. I just made an order to Missileworks, yesterday. However, it is getting harder to go out for a meal with all these CV-19 concerns. I use to say to my wife let's go out for breakfast, but now that just seems like a bad idea.

And I'm waiting on my eggfinder :D

Sweet transport. Is that the 24mm version? I built that one when I was a kid.
Yes, its a scratch-built using BT-60 main tube. Here it is next to a standard OT (wearing green decals). Cutting all that basswood, and balsa on glider, by hand, was really fun!

Thanks for the kind words.

Attachments

• 95A2C422-D21A-4216-A0A1-2F06918786EC.jpeg
    95A2C422-D21A-4216-A0A1-2F06918786EC.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 23
Just remember that ALL rocketry vendors are basically small operations. I would say even Estes is on the small side of manufacturing firms. It wouldn't surprise me if we lose more rocketry vendors before this is done; the margins just aren't there for them to take a big hit and survive.

Just want to give a shout out to UPS and Postal Service. .. they just delivered new rocket toys today :D

And Tim V and @John Beans for making such good toys.

Last edited:
Trying to follow my own advice and support my local hobby shop during this lockdown recession. Went over to buy a LiPo battery and some miscellaneous parts.
But when I get there he tells me lots of things out of stock. Like the little battery I wanted. He's selling stuff like crazy because everybody is coming in buying model kits, trains, etc. to keep themselves busy.
He says his main problem is he can't get replacement stock for a couple of weeks.
So, good for my local hobby shop. I did get a couple of miscellaneous parts. Glad he's doing good business with what he has.

Back