Shooting Star Scratch Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
Okay, my daughter built a scratch rocket for the local youth fair (won a blue ribbon of course) and I have something a little wierd happen to it today at a local launch. Just for reference it's basically a Lil' Nuke with 5 fins and a 29mm MMT.

Launch was with a E16-4w AT RMS. Just as it was coming up to pressure I heard a tiny pop and the nose-cone got pushed up about an inch before it left the rod. I've reviewed the video about a 100 times. Of course as it went up the cone got a little cock-eyed and it did a nice squirrely sky-dance to an altitude of about 300' and quickly dropped to earth with a chute that inflated about 20' above the ground.

Fortunately, nothing was damaged but I have no idea what would've caused this. Several other rocketeers (with many many years more experience than me) couldn't figure it out either. I replayed the video half a dozen times for the guys and we still couldn't figure it out.

The picture shows a band of white which is the n/c partially popped out. Any ideas?

-DAllen

You might of had the BT "air" compressed. It might of decided to "pop" right then and there. Did you put the motor in and then the cone? if so that will compress it.

thanx, Ben

That is extremely bizzarre. I've loaded every rocket I have ever had that way. Motor first, dog barf, 'chute and cord then the n/c. I have never had that happen before. Wierd.

-DAllen

huh :confused: I have never had an issue with it Till my PML AMRAAM. I think the AMRAAM was sealed air tight most Estes rockets aren't. That would be my only explination. drill a 1/16" hole right below the cones shoulder to release some pressure see if that helps (it should).

thanx, Ben

Back