Shock Cords

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Blue...-/283413349830?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Heavy 10 oz cloth, the best i have found so far , a package with 1 yard is surprisingly heavy , !!

Are you using this, successfully, for wraps?
The fact that the price is so low, plus the emphasis on cotton/canvas in the description, makes we wonder how much aramid is actually in it. I don't understand your comment about weight - a 1 yard piece of 67" wide, 10 oz fabric should way ~19oz, exactly as much as any other 10oz fabric, right?

Yes wraps as in blanket for protection against burning particles, the weight is a fabric term , i think probably referred to as thread count? I ordered several different kinds, 7oz 8oz and the 10oz. There is a noticeable difference in the weight and texture, for example the 7oz would make a heavy duty shirt the 10 oz is more like canvas pants or couch material , i have used all in BP estes style ejection charges , with marks but no burning through, i should set up a burn test with my torch to see the difference, as to the quantity of kevlar ? Don't really know exactly...

Thanks for the info!
Weight is a pretty simple thing, actually - it is literally just the weight of one square yard of the material. (That's why I made my slightly smart-a$$ comment - a square yard of every 10oz fabric should weigh 10oz, regardless of thread count, quality, etc.). For this purpose, heavier cloth is better (until you get to the point where you're worried about too much weight).
Thread count is different - it's the number of threads per inch woven horizontally, plus the number of threads per inch per inch vertically. So a 600 thread count cloth will have 300 threads per inch, in each direction. This affects the 'fineness' or feel of the cloth, and the size of the pores/holes between threads. A 1000 threadcount fabric will have lots of very thin threads woven closely together, whereas a 200 threadcount fabric would have larger threads woven more loosely. For our purposes, high thread count is better, since we don't want large pores allowing hot gasses or particles through. I think one of the problems with the low-quality nomex I've bought on ebay was low threadcount- although it's a heavy (7oz) material, its also pretty porous.
I'm not sure a torch test is the best way to measure - for sure you don't want it to sustain fire (i.e., keep going once lit) but I think a torch is hotter and more sustained than what you will see from an ejection charge. I think most Nomex fabrics would burn through quickly if subjected to a direct blast from a torch.

Thanks for the info!
Weight is a pretty simple thing, actually - it is literally just the weight of one square yard of the material. (That's why I made my slightly smart-a$$ comment - a square yard of every 10oz fabric should weigh 10oz, regardless of thread count, quality, etc.). For this purpose, heavier cloth is better (until you get to the point where you're worried about too much weight).
Thread count is different - it's the number of threads per inch woven horizontally, plus the number of threads per inch per inch vertically. So a 600 thread count cloth will have 300 threads per inch, in each direction. This affects the 'fineness' or feel of the cloth, and the size of the pores/holes between threads. A 1000 threadcount fabric will have lots of very thin threads woven closely together, whereas a 200 threadcount fabric would have larger threads woven more loosely. For our purposes, high thread count is better, since we don't want large pores allowing hot gasses or particles through. I think one of the problems with the low-quality nomex I've bought on ebay was low threadcount- although it's a heavy (7oz) material, its also pretty porous.
I'm not sure a torch test is the best way to measure - for sure you don't want it to sustain fire (i.e., keep going once lit) but I think a torch is hotter and more sustained than what you will see from an ejection charge. I think most Nomex fabrics would burn through quickly if subjected to a direct blast from a torch.
Wow ok then, good luck,! đź‘Ť

Heavy 10 oz cloth, the best i have found so far , a package with 1 yard is surprisingly heavy , !!

I also use a Cotton/Nomex blend I got of ebay and love it! Its cheap and and lasts just as long at the expensive pure Nomex or Kevlar blankets I use to buy. I use some 6oz cloth for my minimum diameter stuff and the 10oz for the rest.

Back