Shock cord management

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_H

Reaction score
I have always Z-folded my shock cords, using tape, to keep them organized and also for some shock relief on deployment.

I am about to build a 6" airframe rocket and have a question for the hive mind... The drogue shock cord will be 50' of 1"tubular nylon webbing. Does anyone use something like a 'throw bag' used in whitewater river rescue, where the cord would be carefully 'stacked' inside a bag with a drawstring closure? A hard foul-up could be very bad, but a carefully stacked cord should pull cleanly every time. A purpose built nomex bag would be clean and fast to pack, and would take the place of a blanket.

For those using long lengths of 1" webbing, how do you manage your shock cords?

Thoughts?

I have no experience with 1" shock cord, but I discussed this general idea with my TAPs for my L3 in progress. Didn't seem to be a lot of support from them, I was planning on folding and taping. It's a 7.5" LOC Bruiser EXP for reference.

Pretty much anyone else responding is going to have more experience than me, so take this with a pound of salt.

I've been flying a 6" rocket with about 35' of 1" TN. I've been using the pant legs of some old Nomex uniforn firefighter pants as deployment bags..a very short video..that shows the pant leg deployment bags...after a flight

Tony

I've been flying a 6" rocket with about 35' of 1" TN. I've been using the pant legs of some old Nomex uniforn firefighter pants as deployment bags..a very short video..that shows the pant leg deployment bags...after a flight

Tony

Thank you, Tony.

What is inside that shock cord deployment bag? Is it folded and taped in there?

I like the idea of the pantleg (bag) Efficient!

I kind of want to make a bag like that, go to a bridge and drop a weight to see how many times out of say 100 drops, the cord (1" webbing carefully stacked, not folded and taped) tangles in the unfurling. I grew up rock climbing, and spent quite a bit of time on commercial longliners and crabbers, so 'stacking' line is not a new concept to me.

Thank you, Tony.

What is inside that shock cord deployment bag? Is it folded and taped in there?

I like the idea of the pantleg (bag) Efficient!

I kind of want to make a bag like that, go to a bridge and drop a weight to see how many times out of say 100 drops, the cord (1" webbing carefully stacked, not folded and taped) tangles in the unfurling. I grew up rock climbing, and spent quite a bit of time on commercial longliners and crabbers, so 'stacking' line is not a new concept to me.
inside the pant legs...deployment bags are shock cords and chutes.. The shock cords have some bundles of cord taped together with electrical tape. These are not for cord management but as break points to slow/disperse some of the deployment energy.

This new video shows how some of the break points are still together meaning . I have the charges and break points dialed in now..

I forgot to put the SD card back in the onboard video camera..hoping to get video or the chutes coming out an inflating..I hope to fly it again next weekend,,

Tony

Back