Shock cord knot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hello all

I have a loc hi tech 45 , 2.6in and weighs about 25oz. I've got some 3/8 the Elastic from hobby lobby and it's 4 times the length of the rocket witch I've read shock cord should be 3-4 x the length of the rocket.
What type of knot do I tie the ends with to thread my quick links on?
I'm no good at sewing.
If I do fig 8 obits, can I epoxy the free ends down to the main to reinforce the knot Incase comes undone
Thank you

figure 8s are good. doubled figure 8s are even better. don't bother with epoxyon the ends, tgey do not untie themselves... like some other knots.

of course, check everything before every flight

I encase my knots in epoxy.

Hi, I'm no expert by any means but simply listen to the valuable info people give. I previously an idea to epoxy a knot and several valuable members told me it's not advisable because the cord will become weak or brittle at the glued area. I have since give away from this idea now. I think it's important to isolate every possibility as much as we can to avoid failure.

I just tie a double overhand knot and set it with a drop of glue. Sometimes I fold the end over to make a loop, apply glue, then a staple or two.

Hello all

I have a loc hi tech 45 , 2.6in and weighs about 25oz. I've got some 3/8 the Elastic from hobby lobby and it's 4 times the length of the rocket witch I've read shock cord should be 3-4 x the length of the rocket.
What type of knot do I tie the ends with to thread my quick links on?
I'm no good at sewing.
If I do fig 8 obits, can I epoxy the free ends down to the main to reinforce the knot Incase comes undone
Thank you
The good news is knots in white elastic if they are pulled tight don't untie very easily. The bad news is 3/8" white elastic is not strong enough for that size rocket. I used the biggest I could find at the sewing store, maybe 3/4", for a LOC 4" diameter rocket and it lasted about 4 flights. I probably knew better but I thought the elastic would work, this was 20 years ago. I think the 3/8" elastic is good for something the size of a Big Daddy or Executioner.

I do not use any thing elastic on rocket of this weight (25oz = 700gram). I use either Kevlar or nylon cords 3 to 4 times rocket length and then either braid or bundle the cord for shock absorption.

Back