Shock cord attachment....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tammaraki

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm building a 3" fiberglass rocket with a 54mm motor mount so there isn't enough clearance to use an eye bolt on the forward centering ring. I am planning to notch the forward CR and epoxy the shock cord to either the motor mount or the airframe wall.

My question, is it better to glue to the motor mount or the airframe wall? I am thinking motor mount, but is heat from the engine going to adversely affect the epoxy?

Thanks in advance!

Can you drill a hole in the centering ring so you can tie shock chord around the centering ring? I have read that glue weakens most shock chord materials since it makes it less flexible..

Hi,

I'm building a 3" fiberglass rocket with a 54mm motor mount so there isn't enough clearance to use an eye bolt on the forward centering ring. I am planning to notch the forward CR and epoxy the shock cord to either the motor mount or the airframe wall.

My question, is it better to glue to the motor mount or the airframe wall? I am thinking motor mount, but is heat from the engine going to adversely affect the epoxy?

Thanks in advance!
Glue it right to the motor mount tube. You will be good to go. Tie a knot if you have the room.
20210511_222139.jpg

I tie my shock cords around the motor tube and under the forward centering ring. I then epoxy the centering ring in place. I use JB Weld Kwik Weld to epoxy the centering ring in place because it is heat resistant.

Back