Shipping Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavRedf

Reaction score
With the new regs that your government has bought in I just wondered how this would affect us here in the UK, any ideas?
Are you sure that your public servants hav'nt been taught by ours as they seem to think "how can we interpret this to cause the maximum chaos" still I suppose that anyone with thier snout in the public trough must want to keep it there.

Don't think it effects us much. We've always needed permits for AP motors. :( BP motors arn't affected.

What we have to be wary of, over here, is the anti-firework lobby. If fireworks become too highly regulated, our BP motors might get caught up in the legislation, and get banned! :eek:

As an European importer for Aerotech motors I have to correct you, but only a little ;) :
The direct impact is small: Higher transportation costs due to the transport restriction inside the US cause a small increase in prices at the end.
Of course the importer needs to take care of one or two additional issues, but this isn't really something critical.
I didn't have any problems with recent Aerotech shipments from the US to Switzerland!

The indirect impact is more of a problem: Currently the US rocketry sceene seems to be kind of paralized, what causes problems for the manufacturers. Many companies had to shift one or two gears back!

So: Folks keep building and flying rockets and don't sit and wait for "better times"!

Juerg

Originally posted by cydermaster
Don't think it effects us much. We've always needed permits for AP motors. :( BP motors arn't affected.

What we have to be wary of, over here, is the anti-firework lobby. If fireworks become too highly regulated, our BP motors might get caught up in the legislation, and get banned! :eek:

I could'nt agree more,once the "you can't do that here"brigade get started on rocketeers we'll have a real problem.I also find it so frustrating that i can have a house filled to the brim with as much D motors as i like but i need permits and certificates coming out of my ears before i can have 1 E motor....OUTRAGE:confused:

I think Juerg hit the nail on the head here, the biggest problem is going to be a lack of things to put motors in. A vast majority of kits are made in the US (I can only think of Physics of Flight and Orbital Engineering that are made in the UK) so if US manufacturers gradually stop because of the regulations that's when we're going to see problems.

As for getting caught up in fireworks, I can't see that being a major issue. The main problem with fireworks is noise and disruption, dangerous fireworks that are a threat to people are already illegal. Since rocket motors aren't designed to be noisy they shouldn't get caught up, but then rocket motors aren't meant to explode.... :rolleyes:

Yes Mike but since when has it mattered to our buerocrats if they are the same or not if they get thier teeth into us we have a fight on our hands. But it would probably be done by stealth.

Yes Arthur it makes no sense to me either.
David

Talking of "flying", how is motor availability in UK?
I heared rumors that Britain is "dry" on Aerotech motors but don't understand why.

Juerg

Originally posted by Juerg
how is motor availability in UK?
I heared rumors that Britain is "dry" on Aerotech motors but don't understand why.

Apart from Andy at Deepsky being let down by his suppliers every now and then, BP motors are not too hard to come by (apart from Es and C11-3s which aren't available here).

I don't have the necessary paperwork to buy/use AP motors, so I've no idea how the Aerotech situation is. Any Brits able to chip in on this one?

I think we're still pretty dry, last I heard we weren't expecting new stocks until end of 2004. I was at K-Lob a few months ago and there seemed to be quite a few aerotechs, whether they've been saved since the fire I don't know.

People seem to be trying different manufacturers in the meantime, Pro38s and Hybrids for example.

I just don't understand why!
Aerotech is delivering motors and has beend delivering all the time (on a limited scale)
I did get a big shipment in september and have several hundred motors on stock. Pete could get motors as well, I am sure. I just don't understand why he doesn't.
Strange...

Juerg

Originally posted by cydermaster

I've no idea how the Aerotech situation is. Any Brits able to chip in on this one?

as far as i understand it, supplies of aerotech 38mm reloads are short.

iGGiE

As far as im aware PRO 38's are available but don't quote me on that...I think i have allmost given up on the idea of moving up to E motors and above:( but im getting all the power i need from clusters:) maybe in the future when motors become more available i'll set my sites back on highpower

Back