Shipping HPR motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmt56

Reaction score
Is it legal for a non-vendor, non-manufacture, to ship HPR motors across state lines?
Of course all hazmat fee's would be paid.
It would be nice to get a definite yes or no on this one.
Why do I think that will not be the case? LOL

Is it legal for a non-vendor, non-manufacture, to ship HPR motors across state lines?
An individual may personally transport APCP HP rocket motors, and black powder rocket motors in their own vehicles within the US, however an untrained, unauthorized individual can not ship any rocket motor anywhere in the US via commercial transport. State lines have nothing to do with it.

All rocket motors are considered as hazardous materials in commercial transportation and they are classified by DOT as Class 1 explosives.

Shipping any hazardous materials, explosives or not, is illegal unless you are trained and totally familiar with 49 CFR Parts 100-185 which specifies the exact packaging, labeling, marking and documentation requirements for commercial shipping in the US by road, air, rail or ship. Common carriers will not accept known hazardous material shipments from individuals unless they take a hazmat shipping class and become certified.

Failing to inform a common carrier that your shipment contains hazamt is a crime that is punishible by fine, and potentially imprisionment. The minimum fine that I am aware if $1,000 and usually it is much higher. A case familiar to many of us resulted in a felony conviction and a $40,000 fine. Jail time has been awarded in cases where there has been a blatant, repeated violation of the law.

Shipping explosives is expensive. Unless you are a party to certain DOT Special Permits, any explosive shipment must be made via explosives truck which typically costs several dollars a mile. If you are party to a DOT Special Permit, you may ship rocket motors packaged, labeled, marked andd documented in a specific way via common carrier for regular shipping costs plus an addition $25 hazmat fee. Google DOT-SP 7887, DOT SP-8451, DOT-SP 10996 and DOT-SP 11472 for examples of DOT special permits for explosives.

Individuals are permitted to mail rocket motors and reloads containing not more than 30 grams each by surface parciel post IF they have prior written approval from the USPS central office in Washington DC and package, mark and label the shipment by USPS regulations.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I am a certifed hazmat and explosives shipper and am a party to DOT-SP 7887 and DOT SP-8451.

Bob

Short answer ....... No.

In order to ship them you would have to complete a HazMat training course offered by FedEx or UPS or some other qualified training facility (not exactly sure how UPS does it, FedEx has thier own training program). You can't ship hazmat unless you have an account and have been cleared by the carrier.

Many many hurdles, short answer .... still No.

Hello Bob
Thanks for the info.
Looks like this answers my question.

You can thank the great bureaucracy for that one....
:mad::bangpan::bang::

If you really need to ship them; seek out a nearby vendor & see if they can help you out.

JD

An individual may personally transport APCP HP rocket motors, and black powder rocket motors in their own vehicles within the US,
Hello Bob,
Lets say I make an APCP motor that is more than 62.5g and I want to transport it in my own van to a launch site. This is allowed as long as I am using my own vehicle and I am driving it? Thank you for your time.

Hello Bob,
Lets say I make an APCP motor that is more than 62.5g and I want to transport it in my own van to a launch site. This is allowed as long as I am using my own vehicle and I am driving it? Thank you for your time.
You do understand that this thread is 14 years old, and that Bob has not been on the forum since June 2018?

Hopefully someone else will provide you a definitive answer to the question you posted (though I believe the answer is 'yes').

You do understand that this thread is 14 years old, and that Bob has not been on the forum since June 2018?

Hopefully someone else will provide you a definitive answer to the question you posted (though I believe the answer is 'yes').
Thank you for your concern, yes I do understand that this is a very old thread but I felt that replies to this thread were more likely to get attention than making a new thread of my own. I did not realize that Bob has not been active, but I was hoping that he or someone else would be able to provide the document showing that personal transport is unregulated.

Thank you for your concern, yes I do understand that this is a very old thread but I felt that replies to this thread were more likely to get attention than making a new thread of my own. I did not realize that Bob has not been active, but I was hoping that he or someone else would be able to provide the document showing that personal transport is unregulated.
Personal transport for your use is not regulated normally, including across state lines. International transport for personal use requires lots of paperwork or buying onsite and using there. There is no document that I can think of right away that would say what you are looking for, shipping regulations are usually worded for "in commerce" aka transporting for money (simplified).

https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/standards...d-questions-applicability-hazardous-materials
(8) Question: Are hazardous materials being transported for personal use subject to the HMR? For example, are pesticides that are transported from a store by individuals to treat their garden subject to the HMR?

Answer: The answer is no. Under part 171, the phrase "in commerce" means in furtherance of a commercial enterprise. Transportation in a private motor vehicle for personal use is not considered in furtherance of a commercial enterprise even when transported in a leased or rented vehicle.

Back