Shipping Aerosols.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Is this possible ? I would like to get some of the spray paint products you can get ' over the big pond ' . But im not sure Customs would let it pass through?
-Karl

Correct me if im wrong, but cant you take deoderant cans and such on a plane if its in the hold?

And what are ya wantin to ship over anyways?

Phil

Just Spray-Paints , ie : Krylon , or theres something called Killz ( I think ) thats pretty good . I just want to experiment with other brands.
-Karl

i would imagine you're gonna spend a lot on shipping...
what do you pay for paint? 1.50€ or £1?
base cost here is about $4
overseas shipping is gonna triple that cost...

i can't imagine that any paint is worth that.

i would venture a guess that the exact paints are available over there, just under different brand names.
like when i went to the UK, McDonalds was called Wimpy's...everyone knew it was McDonalds...just a different name...same food though.
https://www.krylon.co.uk
or even the same one

Originally posted by Elapid
...when i went to the UK, McDonalds was called Wimpy's...everyone knew it was McDonalds...just a different name...same food though.

Dunno where you went! We have loads McDonalds...Wimpys are practically the same though! :D

Over here 500ml of PlastiKote is about £5 from B&Q.

Yep and 100ml or 200ml ? is £3. Would just like to try different brands , the only 'good' ones we have is Halfords or Platikote realy , and even Platikote can have there bad batches.
-Karl

I dont think its gonna be worth it with the shipping. IMO, Halfords stock the best quality paints ever! You just gotta use the right method which I found the other day :D

PM Me!

Phil

Originally posted by Mike
Dunno where you went! We have loads McDonalds...Wimpys are practically the same though! :D

that was in 1971
:eek:

LOL, I havn't been in a Wimpy for years but when I did I chose to eat-in and my food came on a plate with a knive and fork! Where's my polystyrene? :D

Originally posted by Karl
theres something called Killz ( I think )

Kilz is a brand of primer sold in much of the U.S. Kilz is advertised as a product that you can apply over oil-based or latex finishes as a stain sealer and paint primer (actually there are several brands that do the same thing). It was originally in liquid or 'paint' form, and had to be brushed on. When dry, it has a white color and has a pretty smooth finish due to a lot of added filler material in the mix. The original formula was alcohol-based (or something like that, it had to be used in a WELL ventilated room) and was a b***h to clean the brushes up afterward.

The newer versions of Kilz are water-based and clean up easier, and somehow still provide a 'seal' over other latex-based finishes, but that's all beside the point.

The stuff these guys are using for rocket primer is the spray-can version. It is still mainly a stain sealer and paint primer. I would be willing to bet that someone on your side of the pond is selling a directly equivalent product. Ask at your local paint store, they can probably suggest something suitable.

At any rate, aerosol products are among the big no-no's for sending on an airplane here in the U.S. Definitely forbidden in carry-on, and I believe also forbidden in cargo. Sorry.

Back