Sheri's Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've just happened on to this. Steven, if I ever get to build a flying Saturn V, I would consider it the "build of a lifetime." Looks like you're pouring your all into it as well! I'll definitely be following!

Michael Key is a good fellow, we typed back and forth a bit while I was detailing my 1:100 Dragon Saturn V. He's got some great parts, but as people note, Shapeways is expensive and I wonder how much of it gets back to the designers, I don't know. I'm also wanting to build the 1:32 CSM with the transparent panels following Vincent Meens, as well as his matching 1/32 LM, but you're talking some serious bucks for all that. Still, If I didn't foul it up, it'd be a museum grade model, as his certainly is. Vincent used the floating astornaut looking through the sextant, but my backstory on that will be when Michael Collins inscribed this (dang, my narritive is runied he did it whilst en route to Hawaii in quarantine...)
1613095415344.png

Notice it's right by the sextant cover...

Last edited:
Well, I've just happened on to this. Steven, if I ever get to build a flying Saturn V, I would consider it the "build of a lifetime." Looks like you're pouring your all into it as well! I'll definitely be following!

Michael Key is a good fellow, we typed back and forth a bit while I was detailing my 1:100 Dragon Saturn V. He's got some great parts, but as people note, Shapeways is expensive and I wonder how much of it gets back to the designers, I don't know. I'm also wanting to build the 1:32 CSM with the transparent panels following Vincent Meens, as well as his matching 1/32 LM, but you're talking some serious bucks for all that. Still, If I didn't foul it up, it'd be a museum grade model, as his certainly is. Vincent used the floating astornaut looking through the sextant, but my backstory on that will be when Michael Collins inscribed this (dang, my narritive is runied he did it whilst en route to Hawaii in quarantine...)
View attachment 450289

Notice it's right by the sextant cover...

Michael Collins, the unsung hero.

I love this thread. My favorite on TRF (pretty sure I’ve said that before). Such great craftsmanship. I can’t wait to see this finished.
Her Saturn 1b is the one I'm looking for.
Are you still looking? Because I have one. I’m not looking to sell to anyone, because I want to build it. But I’ll never be able to make it look like you will. I’d love to see you give it the same attention that you are giving this Saturn V. PM me if you’re interested.

I love this thread. My favorite on TRF (pretty sure I’ve said that before). Such great craftsmanship. I can’t wait to see this finished.

Are you still looking? Because I have one. I’m not looking to sell to anyone, because I want to build it. But I’ll never be able to make it look like you will. I’d love to see you give it the same attention that you are giving this Saturn V. PM me if you’re interested.
So you are looking for him to build it for you.?? wow. Thats different.

No that is not the understood agreement by either one of us. It is a transaction where I assume full ownership. It's that simple. For my own personal use.
Okay. I understand now. It was confusing because he said...... "I'm not looking to sell." And..... "I want to build it." So in the end, I guess, he is willing to sell and he won't build it if you purchase it. I'm dizzy now.....

Okay. I understand now. It was confusing because he said...... "I'm not looking to sell." And..... "I want to build it." So in the end, I guess, he is willing to sell and he won't build it if you purchase it. I'm dizzy now.....
I fully understand where the interpretation came from. Took me a few moments myself.

Once again I tore off the Bare Metal. I've been using a popsicle stick as a burnishing tool. Too hard and lays lines into the foil. I've ordered more and finally found a round paper burnishing tool with tapered ends. How many times have I done this now? These techniques and parts will be duplicated on the Saturn 1b once I deem them suitable.

IMG_0001 (48).JPG
Screw you previous technique, I'm goin' home. The Bare Metal was not the problem, it was the lack of using the proper technique for applying. So I've gone the old mask and paint routine. I need another coat of primer to fill in the flaws. IMG_0001 (48).JPG

I love that you will be going back to the Starbuck's VAB! Even better is that they asked you back... 😎

Good call on the CSM paint, by the way. I have had success with Bare Metal foil, but it has always been a challenge on anything that had much in the way of surface detail.

I also had the same problems with light masking tape pulling it up. Of course it sticks like burnt lasagna anywhere that needs to be lifted a little to fix a wrinkle. :mad:

Incredible build and it is an awful lot of fun to follow along!

I love that you will be going back to the Starbuck's VAB! Even better is that they asked you back... 😎

Good call on the CSM paint, by the way. I have had success with Bare Metal foil, but it has always been a challenge on anything that had much in the way of surface detail.

I also had the same problems with light masking tape pulling it up. Of course it sticks like burnt lasagna anywhere that needs to be lifted a little to fix a wrinkle. :mad:

Incredible build and it is an awful lot of fun to follow along!
Thank you Mugs. Been waiting for a year to see any progress from the virus rampage. It has become another workshop where an audience watches with fascination with the sort of questions they typically ask. I especially enjoy the kids reactions. Giving away new starter sets and rockets to those who show a keen interest is really fun. Like kids at Christmas time. One HS teacher received an Apogee Saturn 1b unopened. He was a bit strapped for money. Once this was done, he began teaching the kids all about the hobby after school. Showed me a school flight of an Estes Saturn V I also gave him. Can't wait to hear from him. I'll go through my unbuilt kits and will continue to pass them on. I'll be at the door going "Open, open, open".

The entire assembly was painted aluminum, then I used gold Bare Metal foil for the RCS nozzles. There will be a single decal going over the module itself.
That looks great. I think the only way to get better detail would either be some expensive metal deposition process or possibly by applying gold leaf, which is a bit of a lost art. It would be unique though.

Awright, Dave who's Sat V is that? And does it fly? PICS VIDS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!! ;)
That's Sherri from Sherri's hot rockets. Technically it flew on a pair of G80 SU motors but barely and not safely and it REALLY needed alot more motor. Sherri wasn't HPR certified so the pair was the most that could be used. (Ignoring theories about Sherri vs her husband who actually built and flew the rockets, no way to prove it either way)

Mine has a central 54mm and 4x 29mm but it's not even half as good as Steven's

Back