Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so true...last year I had to put my beloved Basset down...I cried for days and still miss her terribly. Hang in and build rockets for therapy.....it helps for me at least. Can't wait to see your Redstone...and your Saturn!!! both are awesome cool birds! maybe some day you will build a Saturn 1b?.....my personal fav....just a mean nasty looking booster!

One is never too late for condolences. I thank you very much NJRick! My son and Joanne did the best they could to help out by giving me big hugs as I cried my arse off. I still miss her thinking that she's on some of her favorite sleeping perches, (mostly on top the couch.) It's hardwired in you.

so true...last year I had to put my beloved Basset down...I cried for days and still miss her terribly. Hang in and build rockets for therapy.....it helps for me at least. Can't wait to see your Redstone...and your Saturn!!! both are awesome cool birds! maybe some day you will build a Saturn 1b?.....my personal fav....just a mean nasty looking booster!

Probably get SHR's Saturn 1b. I can essentially use some detail parts from the same sources I've bought for the Saturn V.

IMG_0003.jpg Here is a 1923 T Stake Bed Truck in 1/220th scale. It's all metal etched and the same scale as the Z scale trains.

Interesting looking kit. Not sure I'd try to tackle something that small.

IMG_0017.jpg Finally with the interior installed. I'll be painting this at this point. The reason why I chose not to prior to assembly was CA doesn't work well on painted surfaces and I need all the paint free surface I can get.

Back to the Mercury Redstone I have found a possible alternative for the tower from Shapeways. It has even more detail on it than I could even muster up so as long as I can get it to fit on the capsule itself would this be a realistic alternative to help finish off this model. Then install the recovery system ( using a harness for horizontal recovery on the capsule). I don't know whether or not to use one chute' or two (one for the booster and one for the capsule) yet. Any ideas would be appreciated. :wink:

Back to the Mercury Redstone I have found a possible alternative for the tower from Shapeways. It has even more detail on it than I could even muster up so as long as I can get it to fit on the capsule itself would this be a realistic alternative to help finish off this model. Then install the recovery system ( using a harness for horizontal recovery on the capsule). I don't know whether or not to use one chute' or two (one for the booster and one for the capsule) yet. Any ideas would be appreciated. :wink:

If you want any chance of saving the tower for multiple uses I would put the lanyard (Y harness) on the capsule and bring it down separately on the largest chute possible at a nice 45 degree angle, you want that tower pointing upwards when it hits the ground, but not so upward it gets tangled in the shroud lines coming down. There will be a line exposed on the outside of the capsule at launch. You can hide it but it may chide at scale and detail sensitivities. Many recovery issues on this kit, stemming from long stuffer tube limiting recovery room, extremely short nose cone shoulder, high nose weight and high weight of Uline body tube. Several methods for having the capsule chute pull out the main. Use the biggest chutes possible in the space you have. It is a heavy bird and comes down fast in the best of circumstances. The surface mount fins can pop off, things can easily get tangled. It will get damaged in flight and landing. Very hard kit to recover properly if built stock.

IMG_0001 (3).jpg Finally doing something to this! Wrapping the mid section pin striping that came with the model's checkered decal which had to be cut away.

Last edited:
IMG_0001 (5).jpg IMG_0002 (3).jpg So the booster decals are all done now as well as the capsule. Installation of the recovery system and finishing off the LES is still required. (I'm still debating repairing what I have or going to Shapeways and having one done for me in plastic with even more detail than I've been able to muster up).

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll fit the lugs in there. You can probably better hide the lugs now that the wraps are on.

Saaay...you're from Phoenix. Ever been to a joint called The Camelback Lounge? One of my favorite haunts back in the 80's.

Nope. Never even heard of it. Tried to look on Google to see if it was called something else now, and had no luck.

Nope. Never even heard of it. Tried to look on Google to see if it was called something else now, and had no luck.

Yeah, you won't find it anymore as it's been bulldozed over along with the Uptown Express which was virtually next door. These two places were located on the SE corner of 7th. Ave. and Camelback back in the 80's. Now it looks like a bus stop is there with parking. Ever been to Mr. Lucky's when it was around?

In fact, if you're feeling ambitious, rail-buttons.com sells white buttons. I used one white and one black button on an Astrobee 1500, and they were impossible to see from any kind of distance.

In fact, if you're feeling ambitious, rail-buttons.com sells white buttons. I used one white and one black button on an Astrobee 1500, and they were impossible to see from any kind of distance.

I just went ahead and ordered some black and white ones from them thanks to your input! :cheers:

IMG_0002 (7).jpg Just got the Rail buttons from Rail-Buttons.com. I'll probably use JB-Weld for installation. They even sent me an extra set and a dinner mint. Is that a hint? And thanks for the tip TheAviator!

Back