Shear pins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i prefer phillips head in 1/2" in 2-56 size.
+1 for phillips head, and 1/2". Both 2-56 and 4-40 are my most common sizes. However I picked up a 1000 2-56 on clearance from Fastenal with slotted heads, if the holes are drilled to be a simple push fit a small piece of tape keeps them in place without need to use tools.

i prefer phillips head in 1/2" in 2-56 size.

For years I used 1"ish, slot pan-head 2-56 screws. This year I restocked and purchased 5/16th, 2-56 Phillips pan-head nylon screws, and they are a much better length for most of my setups. Minimal trimming, if any. Then there is the obvious. The Phillips head is much easier to install and remove if you have to; I really dislike slot-head screws.

The head Screw type I don't pay attention to, reason being is I find it much easier to use a small rubber mallet to hammer them in than to try and screw them in. I make the hole just tight enough so it sounds kind of like a Zip-Tie going in. The size of the head is what I look at more. I usually get a 1 bag of each in 1/2" 2-56 and 4-40 100 count from McMaster.

My level 3 was the first rocket that I used them on. I went with three 2-56 on a 6" dia. NC. Now, 18 years later I use 4-40. Most the time I just use 1 for 4" rockets. My 6" Mad Dog I used 2.
I use to drill and tap the tubes. It becomes harder to remove them within the threaded holes. Just drill a slightly larger hole, makes it easier to extract later.

For years I used 1"ish, slot pan-head 2-56 screws. This year I restocked and purchased 5/16th, 2-26 Phillips pan-head nylon screws, and they are a much better length for most of my setups. Minimal trimming, if any. Then there is the obvious. The Phillips head is much easier to install and remove if you have to; I really dislike slot-head screws.

You mean there are Phillips head 2-56es!?!?!? Dang!

Gonna hunt me some of those. Must have 4 different sizes and types of screwdrivers putting everything together...

Randy

I picked up 500 of these from McMaster Carr.

Length-wise, I personally don’t see any advantage in going beyond about 1/4” since we are usually dealing with a total thickness of no greater than about 1/8” for G10 body tube + coupler.

The longer ones are easier to manipulate for folks with sausage fingers.

Back