Shear Insanity: a build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in the slightest; it was left in my house (attached to the bench, which is far less vintage) when I bought it. Is there any way to tell?
I'm not well versed on them, but I know collectors are on the hunt for them.... I'll do some digging and get back to you.

This may help: No. 391-5180 (legible in the pick if you click then zoom in)
View attachment 496660

I think the vice dates back to the 1970's, and was made in Japan. Here's a pdf, if you ever need parts, I'm betting they are still available.

Attachments

• Craftsman Vice 391.580.pdf
    380.5 KB · Views: 11
Prefer not to get into too much debate about stability at this point in the build.

No debate here, just physics and engineering judgement. I was just pointing out that in this situation seems that both views presented are correct. The CP will move, but likely not enough to really be a stability concern.

You can always swing test to verify nose-forward flight stability adding nose weight as needed since those minor Cp effects are not represented in the sim, and then update the sim to predict speed off the rod with any actual nose weights added for a variety of motors.

No debate here, just physics and engineering judgement. I was just pointing out that in this situation seems that both views presented are correct. The CP will move, but likely not enough to really be a stability concern.

You can always swing test to verify nose-forward flight stability adding nose weight as needed since those minor Cp effects are not represented in the sim, and then update the sim to predict speed off the rod with any actual nose weights added for a variety of motors.
I just cut the fins today, a bit larger than in the previously posted sim, so margin is now around 1.5 (before un-modeled effects). I should be able to maintain an OR-predicted 1.5 with additional nose weight at the end of the build, and should be fine.

I suspect a TBII joint on large surface area joint with end grain on each side will be quite strong.
As we've both so often told so many, a PVA joint is stronger than the balsa (and cardboard) pieces joined. What I'm concerned about is edge chipping and denting. I hope the CA soak has strengthened and hardened the edges adequately.

NOSE BLOCK

I promise we'll get to some more exciting stuff soon. In the meantime here is too much information about a nose block.

I needed a BT50 nose block or equivalent for where the body splits below the first segment. Lacking a balsa block, I figured I should just make one out of a coupler. I needed a bulkhead, so I decided to whip up some basswood ply. I figured four plies of 1/16" would make a nice stout 1/4" bulkhead, suitable for mounting a screw-eye.

I started with four oversized pieces, glued them together, and sanded to fit.
bulkhead - 1.jpeg
bulkhead - 2.jpeg
bulkhead - 3.jpeg

Nice. One small problem though...
bulkhead - 4.jpeg
So I glued four more layers to it, although I didn't try to make them round or anything, just enough so I could screw the eyelet all the way in.
bulkhead - 5.jpeg
bulkhead - 6.jpeg
And then I glued it into the end of a 2" piece of coupler.
bulkhead - 7.jpeg

That was fun.

I'm still curious about some of the internal details, especially around the body split. I'm interested to see how it comes together, or errrr, goes apart.

As we've both so often told so many, a PVA joint is stronger than the balsa (and cardboard) pieces joined.
I have learned to put some asterisks on that fact. I've had at least two occasions where a wood glue joint snapped cleanly apart (example: when I fumbled my IRIS-T during constructions and one of the fins came off cleanly). I have not yet determined what the factors are that contribute to a weaker joint, but in all cases where I've had the problem it's been basswood, and the joint has been parallel to the wood grain.

A balsa end-grain joint, though, I expect to have full strength.

What I'm concerned about is edge chipping and denting. I hope the CA soak has strengthened and hardened the edges adequately.
Probably not, but chips are easily fixed (if desired) when they happen, and this isn't likely to be a frequent flier in any case.

CENTERING RINGS

The custom lite-ply centering rings that @Sandy H. laser-cut for me have arrived, and they are beautiful. In the batch on the right, you can see alignment ticks at top and bottom. On the left, I extended them with pencil lines. There's gonna be a whole lot of precise ring alignment coming in this build.
rings.jpeg
They are cut with the OD a bit large and the ID a bit small, so after sanding off the char I can sand them to perfect fit.

STUFFER TUBE/MOTOR MOUNT

A BT50H provides the core of the rocket. I don't know why I do this to myself, I hate stuffing parachutes into BT50. Anyway, most of the action happens at the motor mount end, and that is where we'll start.

The cant angle of each BT60 segment is set at 4.4°, so I started at cutting an equivalent angle at the MM end of the tube, so it will match up with bottom BT60 segment.
mm - 1.jpeg
And now I finally had to decide on how to assemble the motor mount. My goal was not just to build this motor mount, but to come up with a good, solid, repeatable process. After getting as much input as I could, I decided on a modified approach that was... well, not exactly the right choice. It worked, but I probably wouldn't do it this way again, or recommend it to anyone.

My general approach would be to cut the tube above the MM use a coupler as the thrust ring. I filed a notch in my coupler to provide room for the Kevlar to squeeze between the coupler and body tube:
mm - 2.jpeg
So far so good. The next step is where I... "innovated". I poked a hole in the center of the coupler (where the pencil mark is in the above picture) and threaded the Kevlar through. Then I tied a nice beefy knot in it (to keep it from pulling through the hole and gave the whole interior mess a nice coating of epoxy:
mm - 3.jpeg
Then I went a couple of steps without pictures as my epoxy was starting to set and I had some on my gloves and I just needed to get it done. But here's what I did:
1) The *far* end of the coupler in the above picture was glued into the motor mount, pushed up against the top of the hook.
2) The *near* end of the coupler, along with the Kevlar in the coupler notch, was pushed into the remainder (long piece) of the stuffer tube.

The whole thing was laid into a piece of angle to keep it straight while it cured.
mm - 4.jpeg
My thought process was that by doing the Kevlar this way, the loose end of the Kevlar would emerge into the body above the coupler, which would give a couple inches of buffer from the ejection charge. That's fine, but what I failed to consider was that pushing the coupler in that direction meant that the Kevlar wanted to push back. I realized this once I started pushing it in, and then needed to try to pull on the Kevlar to keep is straight as the whole thing was going in. I think I was only partially successful, but since the whole thing will be hidden it's OK.

So I didn't come up with my clean and repeatable motor mount process, but I learned some things. Will do better next time. I like the coupler approach, but the Kevlar installation needs improvement.

Finally, I put a 5055 ring around the motor hook to secure it, and electrical tape to hold the top.
mm - 5.jpeg

Final note: the motor hook was aligned (approximately) with the "short" side of the tube. That is where the thick side of the centering ring will go, so I have lots of wood to work with there to cut a slot for the hook.

I don't know why I do this to myself, I hate stuffing parachutes into BT50.

Yeah, even BT55 is soo much better.

The cant angle of each BT60 segment is set at 4.4°, so I started at cutting an equivalent angle at the MM end of the tube, so it will match up with bottom BT60 segment.

That is quite specific and precise. Getting a good perpendicular cut is one thing, how did you do 4.4°?

Yeah, even BT55 is soo much better.
My problem here is that I wanted a significant size difference between the core and the outer tubes, to facilitate reasonable centering rings. A BT55 inner tube would have required a BT70 outer tube, which would have bloated the whole thing a bit more than I wanted to (also I didn't have a suitable nose cone). So 50/60 it is.
That is quite specific and precise. Getting a good perpendicular cut is one thing, how did you do 4.4°?
si_miter.jpg
Miter cut wrap, generated by my own script.
I meant to ask, what's the weight as modeled? Would a streamer do?
4.2 oz dry. I dunno, would it? I'm not sure I'd enjoy stuffing a streamer any more than the parachute.

Ah! Very nice, I recognize that, is that similar to what you used to generate PDII shrouds? Useful and flexible tool.
It's derived from the same code. In general, I find myself customizing/rewriting the script for each application, because every application seems to have a unique twist.

My problem here is that I wanted a significant size difference between the core and the outer tubes, to facilitate reasonable centering rings. A BT55 inner tube would have required a BT70 outer tube, which would have bloated the whole thing a bit more than I wanted to (also I didn't have a suitable nose cone). So 50/60 it is.

View attachment 497526
Miter cut wrap, generated by my own script.

4.2 oz dry. I dunno, would it? I'm not sure I'd enjoy stuffing a streamer any more than the parachute.

As a kid we used streamers a lot. IMO: Streamers are a good recipe for busted fins, but opinions vary.

I'd rather do what I can to keep ground hit around 14 fps or less for a scratch built rocket that I'm trying to minimize damage to..

Streamers are easier to pack, up to a point, I think, because they can be rolled along one exis and end up with the package length only the same as the original width. I'd see what OR has to say about the grass impact speeds with some different streamer dimensions and see if you're satisfied.

Some quick fiddling in OR suggests that it would need to be very large indeed to match the performance of a 15" parachute. E.g., a 6x60 inch streamer would yield 32 mph ground impact. Not interested.

FIN CAN

Now the fun can begin. First comes the bottom segment of the rocket, aka the fin can, and then we'll work our way upward.

Most of the segments will be assembled and slid onto the core tube, but the motor mount prevents me from doing that with the fin can. And so, the rear slotted centering ring goes on first, parallel to the mitered tube end (almost flush):
fin can - 0.jpeg fin can - 1.jpeg
For the BT segment, the four fin positions are marked, two straight and two at 4.4° cant (I used a custom marking wrap for that.) Using my small snap-off blade I scraped off the CWF and a bit of the glassine where the fins go (a surprisingly satisfying process) and crudely re-marked the edges with pencil. This showed me that I left a bit too much CWF on the tubes, will need to sand it down more in the future.
fin can - 2.jpeg
I installed the top centering ring, checking and re-checking over and over to make sure I had it in the correct orientation. Note the alignment mark is centered in a straight fin root. The ring is glued absolutely flush to the tube end.
fin can - 3.jpeg
Then is is slid almost into position. Note the marks on the ring and the tube are aligned. We want this tube to be as close to correct position as possible before gluing.
fin can - 4.jpeg
Then glue was applied to the ring, and the tube is pushed into place. No glue yet on the top side. The bottom ring is almost but not perfectly flush with the tube end, due to very slight error in the angle at which the bottom ring mounted. It's more than good enough.
fin can - 5.jpeg fin can - 6.jpeg fin can - 7.jpeg
A small fillet of TBII is applied at the top ring, more than enough to keep it secure.
fin can - 8.jpeg
At this point it occurred to me to check whether the canted fins will end up properly straight on the rocket. So I made another line on the core tube and sighted down from the end. And the answer is...
fin can - 9.jpeg
...maybe? It doesn't look perfect to me, but I'll have to study more closely when it comes time to install the fins. Possibly, during all the CWF-scraping and remarking, the fin position drifted slightly. Easily fixable when the time comes.

I ran with Neil’s design. Here’s my square version. The square tube made some things easier than a round tube, for example, attaching the launch lug. The square tube also made the alignment easier. The centering “squares” are glued in each end of the tubes 180 degrees apart. To accommodate the angled stuffer tube, I just doubled up the centering squares at the very bottom and very top and kept the long side of the stuffer tube even with the flat of the centering square. BT-50 stuffer tube with standard 18mm engine mount with Kevlar shock cord attached to mount. Nose cone is 3D printed in 3 parts. Small top point of nose has a hole on the bottom that slides over a pin printed on top of the large part. Bottom of nose has a shoulder that slides into the BT-50. I added no nose weight. I’m old school, I just went out and test flew it to see what happens. Used either a 14” or 17” chute with no issues. It’s kind of like the FlisKits Acme Spitfire, doesn’t look like it should fly right, but it does. Flew nice and straight. 4A918A81-5156-4A06-B6AD-81AE7FEC352B.jpeg

Hi Rick!
The square tube made some things easier than a round tube, for example, attaching the launch lug. The square tube also made the alignment easier.
LOL, I am putting off the launch lug until later, gives me a headache thinking about it. I also am jealous that you get a flat surface on which to glue the canted fins. Big old pain the butt for me.
The centering “squares” are glued in each end of the tubes 180 degrees apart.
I imagine our basic construction approach is identical (really only one way to do it). I diverged in the nose section a bit.
I’m old school, I just went out and test flew it to see what happens. Used either a 14” or 17” chute with no issues. It’s kind of like the FlisKits Acme Spitfire, doesn’t look like it should fly right, but it does. Flew nice and straight.
I am very happy to hear that. Actually I've been working off the knowledge that you had mentioned this previously, which gave me more confidence to go forward. Now I just have to get those darned canted fins on straight.... :oops:

Back