ShadowAero reincarnates the FATBOYS!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the nosecone pics. I'm going to try the archotype cable cuter in mine.

Yes, I have a couple Archetype cutters too. I'll be using them in a couple minimum diameter, high performance builds where space and weight are at a premium.

Well, in hindsight this post was not "soon", but, hey, at least I'm posting... Below is my humble interpretation of the Public Enemy Ultra Fatboy as re-released by ShadowAero. Painting is complete less the clear coat. Although it does not "pop" as much as Dave T.'s expertly airbrushed "show models", I think it turned out pretty well, especially considering I just used rattle can paint and a Parma mask that was available at my local hobby store. I chose to go a bit simpler on the color scheme (neon yellow/black/white) and, after much consternation, held off on putting the Public Enemy & Skull/Bones/Dead Head decals as I didn't want to disrupt up the simple/clean look. I also chose to add more black and extend it through the tailcone area to better integrate with the Aeropack retainer and not abruptly break up the color.

It is built to fly dual deploy with a Raven2/Power Perch mounted on the the nosecone bulkplate and a Defy Gravity tether mounted (on the outside) of the nosecone bulkplate. Also in the nosecone (also on the bulkplate assembly) is space for a BRB tracker, and above that, space for 1 to 5 nine ounce lead muffin weights to provide variable weighting depending on the motor you decide to have this thing "eat." As mentioned before, the kit provided by ShadowAero is extremely high quality, with 11-ply, 1/4" fins (you don't even have to laminate to go past Mach) and stainless steel hardware. I would recommend if you are looking to do a reincarnation of a traditional West Coast rocket with much history.

Dude that looks great!

Regarding the lettering, I'm afraid your UF is doomed! Horizontal lettering must always read from left to right in the direction of flight; otherwise the rocket becomes confused and tries to fly backwards:wink:.

BTW, Eric was right above as he often is. First flight a few years back at Agonia ended tragically with a drag separation of the heavy cone on burnout and my "duh" moment of not adding the two shear pins. Anyway, went out and recovered the debris and have had it sitting on a top shelf in my workshop. Happy to say this winter I pulled the pieces down and began the reconstruction of the airframe, MMT upper CR, and NC. Project is now at finish primer stage and should fly at Midwest Power first week of November.

(With cool new decals oriented properly.)

Maybe that's why rockets don't fly well. I have been putting decals on wrong. The Warlock I am building might fly well if I get them on correct.

Been lusting after the Shock since I first saw it on TV.

Wasn't that Dan Stroud's "supersonic showdown" challenger on The Rocketry Challenge?

Here is the .rkt file I used to cert. I modified the rocket to have a longer nosecone so I could get better stability. YMMV! ...Bert

Attachments

• Shadow_public_enemy_ultrafatbo_long_nosey (1).rkt
    108.3 KB · Views: 47
Roy was (is?) a great guy. Flew with him at ROC and the Hemet Valley Rocket Club. I did my L2 on a 4 inch Gladiator. J275 IIRC

Back