SFO Bay Area Hobby Stores

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Okay, am headed back to my home state of California for a couple weeks with the family.

I know it's been asked a while back since asked, but some things change (i.e. the one in Mt. View mall closed). What are some of the best hobby stores still left open - specifically in the East, South, or Moneterey/Santa Cruz Penninsula.

Bump. . . .

. . . for the weekday crowd, who are now rolling out of bed and into the office.

It’s been over ten years since I lived/worked in the Silicon Valley and at that time I was only interested in Model Railroading so the shops I frequented were primarily or entirely dedicated to MR.

The loss of San Antonio Hobbies in Mt. View was a serious blow to that region’s hobbyists of all stripes.

Brick and Mortar hobby shops have been dropping like flies seemingly forever most especially in small town America where it is not uncommon to have geographical regions that are literally thousands of square miles in size with absolutely no hobby shop related activities.

Yea, San Antonio Hobbies there at the mall was OUTSTANDING!!! Everything you could ever want or imagine.

Does anyone know if there's anything like that still around? Anywhere in the South or East Bay?

I even went to look up Sheldon's but, see that their website is down. They used to do a lot of advertising, but I haven't seen one of their ads in a while.

Yes.... I really miss San Antionio Hobby....

A close second still seems to be in business but I haven't been in the Bay area for a while:

Try D&J Hobby in Cambell CA.

https://www.djhobby.com/aboutus.html

96 N. San Tomas Aquino Road
Campbell, CA 95008

(408) 379-1696

Hours:
Mon-Wed 10:00am - 8:00 pm
thursday-friday 10:00am - 9:00 pm
Sat 10:00am - 7:00pm
Sun 11:00am - 7:00pm

Thanks for the inputs.

Kinda hard to believe that after San Antonio went under there wouldn't be another LHS that's on par.

I mean we're talking an area that has a population of almost 7,000,000 people!!! :y:

There's a HobbyTown USA in Concord (East Bay, above Walnut Creek). About 15 feet of Estes and Quest, and a full assortment of A-E motors behind the counter (no composites), plus some tubes, balsa and lots of general paint and other building supplies. There's a tiny place called Boss Robot in Berkeley, with about a quarter of that (but still better than a Wal-Mart).
A desperate, mid-to-high power flyer could be excused for driving 1.5 hours out to see Jack Garibaldi at What's Up Hobbies in Stockton. (Guilty...)
--John Beans, Jolly Logic

Hey thanks John.

I know the areas in the Bay Area well, and Concord isn't too far of a drive from San Leandro. But I have a Hobby Town here where I'm at. So I'll probably pass.

I'm looking for one of those LHS's that just seem to have anything and everything; like San Antonio Hobbies used to have.

I guess it's a sign of the times that these brick-n-mortar businesses just aren't making it anymore.

Oh well, if anyone knows of anywhere else, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Is Sheldon's doing any good?

I think San Antonio Hobbies became a victim of changing demographics both economic and cultural.

A desperate, mid-to-high power flyer could be excused for driving 1.5 hours out to see Jack Garibaldi at What's Up Hobbies in Stockton. (Guilty...)
--John Beans, Jolly Logic

Be sure to call Jack before driving out to Stockton. He spends a lot of time on the road traveling to and from various launches. Probably has some real life stuff going on as well. :D

Well son of a gun!

Found a decent shop right here in my home town of San Leandro, in my old neighborhood.

Decent size, with decent selection of everything.

Back