Setting up the VX-8GR and TH-D72 for BeeLine GPS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only deal on 2 meters is an optimum antenna is longer than a 70cm (~400Mhz) tracker. The low powered 70cm Beeline stuff is perfectly adequate for a sport flier. In a big long nosecone mounted tracker, 2 meters is not a problem though one has to be able to have a reliable removable bulkhead that won't rip out on the harness.

I've had flights go out of sight for a long time and due to the prevailing ground winds everyone assumes the rocket is going to appear in the downwind direction based on the ground windspeed. Well, winds aloft can be different and with live tracking on a map, I was able to yell and tell everyone to look 180 degrees from where they were looking. Sometimes we'd see it coming in under the main, sometimes not. This occurred many times with me as I would track other folks APRS tracked rockets as I had the ground equipment and simply would just have to change frequencies on my radio.

Also with APRS, with the altitude reporting one can easily tell the main chute has successfully deployed due to the slowing of the descent rate of the altitude readout. The NMEA trackers (example Eggfinders) have this same benefit also. This is true even if the rocket can't be seen due to the distance. Hence, if I fly at a large venue I try to blow the main up high, 1000' or higher because altitude is one's friend as far as radio propagation is concerned with the low power and short antennas. In a high speed flight state, GPS may not work so well but once the rocket is in the recovery phase, things settle down and positions stream in more reliably. With a mapping program, one can establish a drift pattern of the descending rocket. There will eventually be a loss of signal as the rocket gets lower to the ground. If there is a relatively higher wind blowing, the final resting place may be a distance away from where the last position was reported. If one gets to the "last known position" they will likely reacquire a new position as the rocket will be pretty close. If the GPS is facing the dirt, they might still receive a signal but know which direction to proceed even though a valid position is not being transmitted. After flying several GPS tracked rockets, I've never had this scenario occur. Once I got close enough to pick the signal in the ground footprint of the tracker, I got an accurate final position.
I've never lost a GPS tracked rocket. Even one that was a lawn dart. With the lawn dart there was one position packet that came in when the rocket was about 75 to 100 feet in the air. I half heartedly proceeded to that position and there was the fincan sticking out of the ground. It was a fiberglass rocket so a new nosecone, new tracker and the rocket still flies.

Smallish DD rockets even with sizable main chutes disappear quite easily even with a nominal recovery.

Yeah, following an arrow on a radio will achieve the same recovery but if one can real time plot a rocket's trajectory on a map, it's nice to know that the rocket likely didn't land in a lake, pond, drainage ditch on a roof or what have you. That is not so much of a problem for our brethren that launch in the wide open spaces out West but us Midwesties have a lot of ground "stuff" to deal with.

Kurt Savegnago

Hi Kurt, I had 2 440 Bee systems , both now lost to bad issues with the flight plans...

When I got my last one , I wanted it to be on 2 meters so I could use it for other purposes.. plus I had several Big Red Bee 440 RDF tracker beacons...

I still like Big Red Bee Products

Yeah, the radio doesn’t have a compass in it so doesn’t point at the transmitter. It’s showing you the bearing from north to the transmitter. And GPS is only really good to 20 or 30 feet, give or take, so test with the transmitter and receiver a fair distance away, like a couple of hundred feet. Does that help?

Hi Will, you had me on this one as I remembered mine would do heading up as it was the first HT I had with a compass 'Display' in it.

So I looked it up:

1685564776346.png

I was hoping someone could chime in. I am kinda lost. I have a yaesu vx8gr and a brb gps. I followed the instructions Kevin laid out https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/setting-up-the-vx-8gr-and-th-d72-for-beeline-gps.45080/
and ive got a lock and i think? Im getting info from the brb but idk. My arrow wasnt pointing to where it was in the yard and i have no distance data point. the screenshot below was just to show its working. I know i need to be outside. It would never "point" to the unit and i never had distance Info.
If anyone has this setup, id appreciate a rope! Lol

See page 66 of the manual for GPS manual how to set north up or heading up. As Will points out with no compass in it you must be walking so the HT GPS can tell your position to the Packet.

So, wait for the info to give me a lat/long position, then maybe take that data and enter it into a phone app like GPS status so i can walk to my rocket?

What I am really looking for is a GPS solution that i can put in my rocket, and then have a handheld of some type so i can follow a screen right to it. Does a system like that exist and if so what does everyone recommend? I do have my ham license or i could go 900mhz. Either would be an option. I am new to GPS and looking for a simple solution.

I have an RF unit from Wildman (comspec) that works great that i will use for smaller stuff but really wanted a simple easy to use GPS option for larger birds.

Upgrading altimeters too so integration would be nice but not mandatory.

I appreciate the thoughts and help.

So, wait for the info to give me a lat/long position, then maybe take that data and enter it into a phone app like GPS status so i can walk to my rocket?

What I am really looking for is a GPS solution that i can put in my rocket, and then have a handheld of some type so i can follow a screen right to it. Does a system like that exist and if so what does everyone recommend? I do have my ham license or i could go 900mhz. Either would be an option. I am new to GPS and looking for a simple solution.

I have an RF unit from Wildman (comspec) that works great that i will use for smaller stuff but really wanted a simple easy to use GPS option for larger birds.

I am old school and still use the BigRedBee GPS unit and either my FT-3D HT or my TH-74D HT that have APRS and the compass will show me what way to walk as I am walking. I still have my VX-8G and it also did that with compass display set to Heading UP and if I was moving back in 2009 when I got it.

Altus Metrum has GPS systems that will hook to your Smart Phone and put it on the Google Maps display for you to walk to.

I am certain Featherweight Altimeters also does, and if you kit build the Egg Timers.

I am old school and still use the BigRedBee GPS unit and either my FT-3D HT or my TH-74D HT that have APRS and the compass will show me what way to walk as I am walking. I still have my VX-8G and it also did that with compass display set to Heading UP and if I was moving back in 2009 when I got it.

Altus Metrum has GPS systems that will hook to your Smart Phone and put it on the Google Maps display for you to walk to.

I am certain Featherweight Altimeters also does, and if you kit build the Egg Timers.
Thanks Art. Good info as always!

I use the MissileWorks T3 GPS. It uses 900 Mhz to connect to a ground unit I have in a single outlet sized box. That connects via Bluetooth to my Android phone. My location, the rocket location, and the track the rocket took all show up on a Google Maps satellite map of the area. I think you can download the satellite maps beforehand if your launch site doesn't have cell service.

You do need to carry the receiver with you if you want updates from the rocket as you get close. Sometimes the last packet received is a few hundred feet away from the actual landing spot. Rocket Locator will still get you to the last location, but if you bring the receiver, it will update as the receiver starts getting more packets from the rocket on the ground.
Screenshot_20181026-105649_Rocket Locator.jpg

I use the MissileWorks T3 GPS. It uses 900 Mhz to connect to a ground unit I have in a single outlet sized box. That connects via Bluetooth to my Android phone. My location, the rocket location, and the track the rocket took all show up on a Google Maps satellite map of the area. I think you can download the satellite maps beforehand if your launch site doesn't have cell service.

You do need to carry the receiver with you if you want updates from the rocket as you get close. Sometimes the last packet received is a few hundred feet away from the actual landing spot. Rocket Locator will still get you to the last location, but if you bring the receiver, it will update as the receiver starts getting more packets from the rocket on the ground.
View attachment 584771
That looks awesome. I may pester you for additional info

View attachment 584771
My buddy lives the RRC3 so that one I am considering. The new Raven as well. A companion GPS would be nice

Back