Setting up a new shop: Tool organizing suggestions needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of my setup. This is just the workshop, not including storeroom and garage. Total space for all of those is around 700 square feet.

Rocket Bench
View attachment 302778

Mechanical Bench
View attachment 302779
Storage under the mechanical workbench works well. The pullout (on slides) parts washer is very convenient given how infrequently I use it. It is out of the way but can still be used in about 30 seconds if needed.
Don’t put your tools up too high on a pegboard. You need a ladder to get to the higher ones!

Electrical Bench
View attachment 302780

Mill
View attachment 302781
Some good racking is essential for keeping things under control. Big plastic buckets keep dust of everything.
The whiteboard is sliding on tracks so I can get to the things on the shelves behind it. That works very well.

Lathe
View attachment 302782
The shelf above the lathe is great for productivity. Everything you need is at your fingertips. Chuck keys, chuck jaws, quick-change toolpost holders, oil can, centers are all readily available for use. One useful addition I would like (and am lacking currently) is a power point near the lathe (away from any splashing coolant!) for when using toolpost grinders or other powered accessories.

If you have space, put a compressor up out of the way somewhere and provide a reticulated compressed air system. So convenient not having to get hoses out and run them to the compressor each time you need to use air. Just hit a switch on the wall to fire up the compressor, fit the air accessory and work!

Ohhh! Now I'm Jelly....I want those toys..errr tools in my shop!

Back