Servos for camera payloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Dunakin

Reaction score
For the past several years I've been using the Cirrus CS-30 BB servo to activate the 35mm cameras in my payloads. A few months ago I discovered that Cirrus has discontinued many of their servos, including this one. Most of their current line of servos are smaller, but also have much less torque. I've finally found one that will work as a suitable replacement, the CS-20 HP. The torque is sufficient, and the speed appears to be comparable. The output gear is larger than on the CS-30, so it won't fit my existing hardware -- but this won't matter on new payloads using new hardware.

Also, it appears that Aerotech 1.88" airframe tubes and couplers are compatible with the tubes I've been using on my smaller camera rockets. I had been getting tubes from Vaughn Brothers Rocketry but they went out of business last year. Totally Tubular has the AT tubes and couplers. Only problem so far is that they seem to be pretty slow about answering emails, so I haven't been able to place an order yet.

Ray - have you looked at any other brand besides Cirrus? You might want to check out Hitec or FMA Direct. Both of those companies have a comprehensive line of servos that are pretty reasonably priced (as long as you stay away from the new digital servos, which are VERY expensive).

Just a thought.

What Ken said, Ray...

He and I have used a wide variety of servos over the last many years and I can attest to the quality, power and small size of some of the newer servos on the market. FMA used to carry good stuff but their newer servos are not very good these days. For micro servos, check with <a target="_blank" href="https://www.towerhobbies.com">Tower Hobbies</a> ... they have good Futaba servos with 35in/oz of torque for around $24.95...Hobbico CS-35 servos with 55in/oz of torque for $19.99...A HiTec HS-225BBS with 57in/oz of torque and a HS-81MG Metal Geared Micro with 41in/oz of torque, both at $23.99. They also carry Multiplex servos, but I have never tried them.

Goos luck and let us know what you finally buy.

Carl

Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
For the past several years I've been using the Cirrus CS-30 BB servo to activate the 35mm cameras in my payloads. A few months ago I discovered that Cirrus has discontinued many of their servos, including this one.

snip

Greetings Ray! I'm not sure if you knew that I had lost my (one and only) camera payload or not, but once you identify the best suitable replacement for the Cirrus please share your findings. I'd really like to build another camera pod soon as I am having serious onboard photography withdrawals!

Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
Also, it appears that Aerotech 1.88" airframe tubes and couplers are compatible with the tubes I've been using on my smaller camera rockets. I had been getting tubes from Vaughn Brothers Rocketry but they went out of business last year. Totally Tubular has the AT tubes and couplers. Only problem so far is that they seem to be pretty slow about answering emails, so I haven't been able to place an order yet.

I just got an email back from Totally Tubular, after sending a second message to them. Looks like maybe the problem was at my end, as I've also just heard from a couple other people that I emailed at about the same time, who never received my emails.

Originally posted by CTulanko
What Ken said, Ray...

He and I have used a wide variety of servos over the last many years and I can attest to the quality, power and small size of some of the newer servos on the market. FMA used to carry good stuff but their newer servos are not very good these days. For micro servos, check with <a target="_blank" href="https://www.towerhobbies.com">Tower Hobbies</a> ... they have good Futaba servos with 35in/oz of torque for around $24.95...Hobbico CS-35 servos with 55in/oz of torque for $19.99...A HiTec HS-225BBS with 57in/oz of torque and a HS-81MG Metal Geared Micro with 41in/oz of torque, both at $23.99. They also carry Multiplex servos, but I have never tried them.

Goos luck and let us know what you finally buy.

Carl

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into those. The hobby shops around here seem to mostly carry more expensive servos, except for the Cirrus stuff.

Ray,

I used a variation of your design on a small digital camera payload that uses super cheap generic micro servos. I set the rig up for better leverage but less total travel at the shutter button. It still moves enough to engage and release the shutter, and with better leverage, I don't have to worry about the servo's puny torque.

Since you use a different camera, reworking the mechanism might be useless to you because the shutter button may need to travel farther than on my little digital camera. Just thought I'd share that with you even if the info may be useless for your situation.

tim

Back