September Best Rocket Competition - FlisKits and Derivatives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Firstly a shameless plug for our wonderful sponsor this month! A BIG thank you goes out to Jim of FlisKits, producers of truly awesome kits ! Check out the site! I am sure there is a kit there that will tickle your fancy! And 'aim for the sky and try not to miss'!

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

Pretty easy theme this month: FlisKits and derivatives! Meaning a real good build of a stock Fliskit or either an up or down scale of a Fliskits rocket!:)..Just remember Rule #5a!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Our awesome sponsor this month is FlisKits! And the prize? Well it will be something special just like I said before! The winner will get the choice of one of 2 NEW kits coming out to celebrate FlisKits' 8th Anniversary!:D The choices are:

Bull's Eye:It is a BT-70 stubby skill level 1 rocket with laser cut fins and a BT-101 ring fin (18mm powered).

Mystic:It is a futuristic 18mm rocket related (in its "story line" to the Alien8 and Decim8 race of beings. It is minimum diameter (BT-20) with a unique body arrangement at the tail end. Some laser cut parts some cutting your own balsa PLUS water slide decals.

AND to sweeten the deal, Jim will try to get a low production numbered kit(<#15, maybe even a single digit) for the winner! Truly Awesome!!

So, let's get those entries in!

Last edited:
I would like to humbly submit my FlisKits Borealis;

100_0760.jpg

100_0761.jpg

100_0762.jpg

Bought this at the introduction of the Borealis at NARCON 2007. Happens to be production number #7.
100_0686.jpg

Its first flight was bittersweet;
100_0857.jpg

Shown here on the pad on her maiden voyage at NSL2007, she blew apart with an unusually strong ejection charge. Just as I'm about to go out and assess the carnage, none other than Mr. Flis himself ambles up and asks how the flight went. He actually walked out with me and helped me find all of the pieces!

After some careful cutting and repairing, she now flies beautifully;

100_1424.jpg

Original build thread;
https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=34368

Later,
EV

Here is mine. Excuse my finger!

13mmDeuce-1.jpg
[/IMG]

A great launch photo taken by the man himself Jim Flis.

DSC09125.jpg
[/IMG]

Flis Kits are the best kits!!!!!

Here is a derivative of a FlisKit ACME Spitfire (one of my favorite kits). This was the second Spitfire that I had built, so I wanted to do it a little bit differently than the first.

I submitted a build thread located here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=9710&highlight=steampunk

First off, during the build I added some extra supports under the tail shroud and epoxy-coated the inside of the shroud to help prevent flexing of the Fins. The rest of the build was pretty much per the kit instructions. But after that, I started adding assorted accesories including rivets (over 300), launch lug pieces, styrene strips, and various shapes cut from a manila envelope. The large copper pipe running up the side is the functional launch lug.

Paint included Testors metallic gold spray, along with some hand painted testors brass, bronze and copper.

I will post some lauch pictures next....

The first flight was on an E11J reload as the fog rolls in over the Nantucket Sound light house.....

The second flight was also on an E11J, but I shorted the delay by a little more than a second since the first flight's delay seemed like an eternity.....

Build Photo 1.JPG

Build Photo 2.JPG

Build Photo 3.jpg

Build Photo 4.JPG

Build Photo 5.jpg

First Launch Photo 1.JPG

First Launch Photo 2.JPG

First Launch Photo  3.JPG

First Launch Photo  4.JPG

First Launch Photo  5.jpg

Second Launch Photo 1.jpg

Second Launch Photo 2.jpg

Second Launch Photo 3.jpg

Second Launch Photo 4.jpg

Second Launch Carol Marple Photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it's Flis Kits B-day... I'll enter my Stock built Triskelion. What a Great little flying machine! Nothing really special, just a fun build, great fitting parts and wonderful flying:)
Oh I did make the custom name decal.

Here's my 24mm Caution Rocket upscale. All construction is foam core from centering rings to fins. The only thing that is not foam core is 24mm motor tube and recovery devices. It flies incredibly well on a D12-3 but really shines on an F39-9. It currently has eight flights with three of those being on F motors and is ready for more.

Pictured flying on D12-3 October 2009 GHS Launch.

_MG_8672c.jpg

Well, this was going to be the "Diamond Dog" but I edited it:roll: Its now the "Lethal Threat"!!! What makes this rocket special-My first Fliskit,First flown at Cmass Launch with Fliskits B-Day Party.It was my first event launch Ive been to. Its a Fliskits Kit, built and themed by Scott Fitts.So you have Flis,Fitts,First Kit,First Launch at Fliskits Party.That makes it special to me.I do have a build thread in LPR .The only thing not in that is the change I made to the guns.I replaced them with 1/8 lugs with K-9s and BLOOD.Scotty Dog

Lethal Threat.JPG

Lethal Threat 2.JPG

Lethal Threat 1.JPG

Lethal Threat 3.JPG

Some really nice entries.:) Though, I am kind of surprised that there is only 1 upscale and no downscales entered?:confused2: Anyway, just a reminder that the entry period ends at midnight tonight and poll will be posted shortly thereafter.

If you haven't entered do so now for your chance of winning either a Bullseye or Mystic rocket kit- one with a LOW production number(maybe even a single digit one!:eyepop:)!! :D

Some really nice entries.:) Though, I am kind of surprised that there is only 1 upscale and no downscales entered?:confused2: Anyway, just a reminder that the entry period ends at midnight tonight and poll will be posted shortly thereafter.

If you haven't entered do so now for your chance of winning either a Bullseye or Mystic rocket kit- one with a LOW production number(maybe even a single digit one!:eyepop:)!! :D

Let's sweeten the deal... I set aside a signed single digit of each kit for this contest, so let's see some more entries! :D

Here is my entry for the contest. It is a Shadowlord. This picture was taken by Jim Flis this past Saturday at the 8th anniversery launch in Amesbury, MA. This flight was on a D12-5. This was a fast mover despite the large fins.

Shadowlord.jpg

Let's sweeten the deal... I set aside a signed single digit of each kit for this contest, so let's see some more entries! :D

But Jim!
we can only enter ONE model per contests:( I'd be happy to add a few just for you to look at ;)
Ya gotta know, we LOVE all your stuff:)

MM 367b-p01_3 Motor Cluster T3 Stinger_05-03-10.JPG

MM 366p01_MM Flis Dead Ringer_03-30-10.jpg

463a-sm_Thing-A-Ma-Jig (Fliskit) _03-01-07.jpg

Last edited:
I took the ACME Spitfire to it's obvious completion by adding Wile E Coyote as a rider. The first flight on a C11-3 had an infinite delay and well as could be expected things did not end well for the coyote. (really just needed a new NC rolled up) She's repaired now but still needs some painting. check here for the thread https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=3316&highlight=acme+spitfire

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

DSCN0106a.JPG

DSCN0117a.JPG

But Jim!
we can only enter ONE model per contests:( I'd be happy to add a few just for you to look at ;)
Ya gotta know, we LOVE all your stuff:)

Man, John, I LOVE the way you finish these things! The only way you could loose these things is if they landed in the Ball Pit at Chuck-E-Cheese... LOL

I'll enter my 54 mm Deuce. It has 22 flights on it. Last flight was on a J425 blue and a J410 red.

Flight - the fireball to the right at liftoff was a bag of propellant hooked to another pad that was inadvertantly armed at the time of my flight.
[YOUTUBE]LP3KLdoCOr0[/YOUTUBE]

View from the rocket:
[YOUTUBE]X6vUNQjjAIo[/YOUTUBE]

14 crop.JPG

Deuce.jpg

Entry period is now officially closed! ;)

I wanted to enter my 3" upscaled Corona/Corona-2, but I couldn't get a flight in. :(

I knew I couldn't compete with the steampunk Spitfire for craftsmanship, so I tried to go big! It's the American way, right? When in doubt, make it bigger!

Good luck to all the entires!
- Ken

I wanted to enter my 3" upscaled Corona/Corona-2, but I couldn't get a flight in. :(

I knew I couldn't compete with the steampunk Spitfire for craftsmanship, so I tried to go big! It's the American way, right? When in doubt, make it bigger!

Good luck to all the entires!
- Ken
I think I can speak for most-would still like to see it even tho its not in the contest.Scotty Dog

Ken.... Thanks for the words about craftsmanship, but I have to agree with Scotty Dog - some pictures of your 3" Corona would be awesome, so PLEASE post them!

Ken.... Thanks for the words about craftsmanship, but I have to agree with Scotty Dog - some pictures of your 3" Corona would be awesome, so PLEASE post them!

OK.. hang in there. I'll have to set it up to take photos. Storing a skinny 10' rocket carefully means some planning required to pull it out, assemble, and photo.

I will get some photos for you guyes, though!

I still don't "get" the whole steam-punk thing but I sure like it.

OK.. hang in there. I'll have to set it up to take photos. Storing a skinny 10' rocket carefully means some planning required to pull it out, assemble, and photo.

I will get some photos for you guyes, though!

OK, gang... here they are. My original size, still unpainted Corona, and the upscale 3" Corona.

The upscale has a 54mm MMT, and is actually adjustable height. Each of those painted sections is actually a different airframe tube with couplers, so it can be flown in a variety lengths, depending on what I feel like.

Cheers,
- Ken

corona_orig.jpg

corona_3.jpg

corona_3a.jpg

Ken...

That is awesome!!! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Very sweet! Is that tail ring to scale? Looks a tad small...

Can't wait for a flight report :)

Jim, you don't miss a thing.

Scale tail ring would be ~3.75. The tail ring is made from Blue Tube, which I normally cut with a fine tooth hacksaw and a miter box. 6" is too large for me to cut with the miter box, so I used a table saw. My utility blade had too few teeth, and was a little dull, so I had some very ragged edges. I picked up a new blade with a lot more teeth, and got much better cuts, but had to trim down a bit. To make things more aggravating, my table saw is old, and apparently not quite exactly 90 degrees, so I had to grind down a bit more to square it up. When all is said and done, I ended up at ~3 inches. A perfectionist would go back and cut a new ring. I thought it was good enough.

As for flight report, well, I have flown it at half length (~60"). It was my L2 flight on a CTI J335 Red Lightning. It flies just as well as the original. Straight as an arrow. The most difficult part about launching this rocket is finding a rail. It uses 1010 buttons, but most 1010 rails use some kind of stiffening bar on the backside of the rail. Because the tail ring is only ~1.5" away from the body tube, the stiffening bar on the back side tends to act as a rocket standoff because the ring fits over the 1010, but not over the back support. The end result is that an 8' rail turns into 4-5' for this rocket. Makes for some potentially interesting motor choices to get the rocket up to speed with such a short rail.

Jim, you don't miss a thing.

Scale tail ring would be ~3.75. The tail ring is made from Blue Tube, which I normally cut with a fine tooth hacksaw and a miter box. 6" is too large for me to cut with the miter box, so I used a table saw. My utility blade had too few teeth, and was a little dull, so I had some very ragged edges. I picked up a new blade with a lot more teeth, and got much better cuts, but had to trim down a bit. To make things more aggravating, my table saw is old, and apparently not quite exactly 90 degrees, so I had to grind down a bit more to square it up. When all is said and done, I ended up at ~3 inches. A perfectionist would go back and cut a new ring. I thought it was good enough.

As for flight report, well, I have flown it at half length (~60"). It was my L2 flight on a CTI J335 Red Lightning. It flies just as well as the original. Straight as an arrow. The most difficult part about launching this rocket is finding a rail. It uses 1010 buttons, but most 1010 rails use some kind of stiffening bar on the backside of the rail. Because the tail ring is only ~1.5" away from the body tube, the stiffening bar on the back side tends to act as a rocket standoff because the ring fits over the 1010, but not over the back support. The end result is that an 8' rail turns into 4-5' for this rocket. Makes for some potentially interesting motor choices to get the rocket up to speed with such a short rail.

Just keep aware of the CP/CG relationship. You want to be sure that ring, and the associated fins, have enough area to keep her stable :)

OK, gang... here they are. My original size, still unpainted Corona, and the upscale 3" Corona.

The upscale has a 54mm MMT, and is actually adjustable height. Each of those painted sections is actually a different airframe tube with couplers, so it can be flown in a variety lengths, depending on what I feel like.

Cheers,
- Ken

Nice looking rocket! Have you flown yours in full configuration yet?

I'm a big fan of the Corona/Corona II rocket (Only partly because I live in a city by the same name). Currently I'm working on a Corona upscale using a 38mm body & 29mm motor mount.

Nice looking rocket! Have you flown yours in full configuration yet?

I'm a big fan of the Corona/Corona II rocket (Only partly because I live in a city by the same name). Currently I'm working on a Corona upscale using a 38mm body & 29mm motor mount.

Not yet... I wasn't able to get out to the September or October launches this year. Between my son's soccer games, and the 3.5 hour drive out to the launch site, the timing just didn't work.

Next launch is probably in March. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a go at that one.

Back