Seperating Electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenman

Reaction score
Re: Mongoose 98

What would the benifit of seperating the Loki ARTS (Flight computer) and the Loki 900mhz GPS which come designed to be used together, though not needed? I hear that having them together can cause interference is this true? If so, I have room in my nose cone for the GPS, would this work better? I know interference from the graphite will come up however a friend with the same kit and with the Loki GPS in the nose cone has had NO interference thus far. Any opinions appreciated!

Interference between electronic devices can be an issue. Since the Ozark web site says the ARTS flight computer can be mounted directly on the 900Mhz transmitter board, I would have to assume the two do not interfere with each other. I would recommend contacting Ozark to make sure.

If by graphite, you are talking about Carbon fiber (CF), that is another issue. If your rocket is made of CF, you have to use an external antenna because radio signals will not penetrate the CF. The CF works like a Faraday cage. This works both ways. Your transmitter can't transmit out and the GPS signals can't get in.
If the nosecone is plastic or fiberglass, you can put the transmitter and GPS reciever in there and it will work.

Interference between electronic devices can be an issue. Since the Ozark web site says the ARTS flight computer can be mounted directly on the 900Mhz transmitter board, I would have to assume the two do not interfere with each other. I would recommend contacting Ozark to make sure.

If by graphite, you are talking about Carbon fiber (CF), that is another issue. If your rocket is made of CF, you have to use an external antenna because radio signals will not penetrate the CF. The CF works like a Faraday cage. This works both ways. Your transmitter can't transmit out and the GPS signals can't get in.
If the nosecone is plastic or fiberglass, you can put the transmitter and GPS reciever in there and it will work.

No by graphite I mean graphite. The nosecone is graphite. The body if CF. Thanks for the data!

They will. Art Applewhite did a test I believe.

Ben

That's good to hear, chances are it will work, but I would still test it on the ground first.

Graphite is a very generic term and the electrical properties can be different from one material to the next. There's no guarantee the material Trenman is using is the same as what Art tested. The results could be dramatically different and during a flight isn't the best time to find out.

[steal thread] Ben, are you going to come out to Battle Park the 12th and 13th of Dec? [/steal thread]

Back