Semroc's "The Amazing Point"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
Wanted to build something less complicated than the Nighthawk so I pulled this one out of the rocket stash. Not really easy but it can be built in two afternoons, plus there is very little sanding and painting involved.

Built as per the instructions. I covered the NC with two coats of thin CA and sanded until it was smooth. I liked how the cockpit is painted on the front cover of the instructions so I painted it with two coats of Krylon Red Banner Gloss and used a Testors Acrylic Black marker for the fins. Waiting now for the paint to cure some more and for the glue on the lower ring to dry. I should have this done by tomorrow evening.

DSC00110.jpg

Wanted to build something less complicated than the Nighthawk so I pulled this one out of the rocket stash. Not really easy but it can be built in two afternoons, plus there is very little sanding and painting involved.

Built as per the instructions. I covered the NC with two coats of thin CA and sanded until it was smooth. I liked how the cockpit is painted on the front cover of the instructions so I painted it with two coats of Krylon Red Banner Gloss and used a Testors Acrylic Black marker for the fins. Waiting now for the paint to cure some more and for the glue on the lower ring to dry. I should have this done by tomorrow evening.

As a kid, I loved the coolness of the paper rockets but they hated me and my impatience and especially my clumsy hands. As a BAR, I still love the looks of them and a Semroc point was the 3rd, I think, rocket I built. The maiden flight blew me away. IT ACTUALLY WORKED.

I ruined it on the next flight by letting the cone sit against the blast deflector and it got suction locked. It burned through a C6-3 on the pad and deformed into a hideous blob.

I've got another one sitting in the bag awaiting my time.

BTW, yours looks a LOT better than mine and I was kind of proud of it.

I built one of these a couple years ago, and I think I've just about gotten all the flights I can out of it (shroud is starting to wear thin around the base, elastic is about to give out), but it's been a really nice flyer. My favorite flight so far has been on an Aerotech D21-4 (though I want to try a D10 at some point).

I've also got production #00009 sitting in the basement, but I don't think I'm going to build that one :)

Very fun little kit.

At NARAM-50, Doug Malewicki and Dane Boles stopped by our booth. While I was talking to Dane, Doug was looking over our kits. When he spotted the Point, he said that was his design he did while at Centuri. He was surprised to see it still around. I had never seen his name associated with the kit as the designer, but he will be listed as the designer on the next production run.

It is a great kit. I still like launching it best at dusk with Quest engines. The extra charcoal makes the whole base light up.

I built mine a while ago. Nice build, and nice flier. It is a great small field rocket. I have launched it at dusk and can attest to what Carl said!

The point is one of those "classic" gotta have demo rockets. it's a great little crown pleaser at youth group and school demonstrations.

Micronized or full size it's a fun almost all paper bird.

421-sm_The Point (Centuri)_08-07-99.jpg

The Point-1-sm_1st Fleet b&w_04-15-72.jpg

Great kit. The quality of the parts are really really good. The printed patterns are very clear and clean. It even comes with an extra part: a tube coupler that is between a BT60 and a BT80, it is used to hold the printed patterns in the package.

Carl, question for you: Were the patterns printed on a color laser printer? Can they be coated with Future or any other clear? I have never delt with color laser printed material before. What do you suggest?

DSC00112b.jpg

DSC00113b.jpg

DSC00115b.jpg

John: Where can I get the sheet for the microsized Point? At the yahoo groups?

This is what I would do if I were to build another one of these. You may have to reference the instructions to see what I am talking about.

- Cutting the patterns: use a new blade and take your sweeeeet tiiiime cutting then. Use a metal ruler for those straight edges. No brainer here.

- Body Shroud: Cut along the outside edges. Makes for a cleaner look when finished.

- Long red strip: Cut along the inside of the edge black line. It will help by making the base ring easier to install in the body shroud.

- Cone Base Small Ring: cut on the inside of the pattern. This will help placing the ring made with the long red strip. It will also help when you finish cutting the excess of the red ring which is the one facing down.

Thread open for more suggestions. Post if you have them.

Last edited:
I haven't built this particular rocket; however, I have built quite a few paper models. One thing I like to do is use a marker on the edges where there is color. I use "acid free" scrapbooking (thanks to my wife) markers to edge the paper at a cut. The blacks and reds "pop" when you do that. The "acid free" doesn't bleed and discolor over time. I've had no problem with clear coats either. It also cleans up the joints a little and helps hide seams.

Raul, can you post a pic of the "business end" of the Point?

Great tips on building The Point. I built and flew one when they first came out. Flew a clone just this last Saturday at the DARS launch. It is getting a bit long in the tooth as the motor ejection charges and the sparks kicked off of the blast deflector are taking their tolls.
I have a couple originals, although their packaging is deteriorating due to all the moves in the military and temperature cycles. I have built and fly the SEMROC clone. I ordered extra nose cones and fins since I have a few more shroud blanks.

I still have my original Centuri The Point (built in 1970) and regularly fly it, mostly for Open Spot Landing in NAR competition. It's gone through several
shock cord replacements and a "new" nose cone (magazine paper tightly formed into a sharp cone, then painted bloody red), but this model has pretty much withstood a lot to last as long as it has.....:D

DSC01164_sized.jpg

I only saw two Centuri Points attempt to fly in the old days. I say "attempt" because both burned up on the pad, never having moved an inch. The reason, I learned much, much later, was Bernoulli Lock.

To avoid this, be sure the rocket is supported off of the blast deflector. I would say 2" or more should be fine.

Fortunately I've seen the Semroc Point fly, and fly well, including the "rigid parachute"-style recovery.

That's the term I was lookign for earlier! That's how I lost mine.

"Suction-locked" is actually a more descriptive term, though "Bernoulli" makes one seem like one knows about things like rocket nozzles and disk drives! Anyone remember IOmega's Bernoulli Boxes?

"Suction-locked" is actually a more descriptive term, though "Bernoulli" makes one seem like one knows about things like rocket nozzles and disk drives! Anyone remember IOmega's Bernoulli Boxes?

I ahve a couple of those out in the garage to hold the door open when I'm moving stuff.

I also have an old Overland Data Inc., 9 Track reel tape I used a lot for storing CAD drawings in the pre windows days. FOr some reason I just don't want to get rid of it.

Back