Semroc's Nighthawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
Having built Rokitflite's FakeWulf I decided to tackle this one. Got it about two weeks ago and immediately started building it. Gliders is one area of rocketry that I have been very interested in getting into. This model is really a challenge and very interesting since it has a few things I have never seen before in a rocket.

Assembled the pod first because I thought it was the easiest part. After assembling the canard fins I sanded them to their airfoil shape and strengthen the balsa with a coat of thin CA. Sanded to a smooth finish. After this the assembly was pretty much forward.

The Glider is another story: carving and sanding... lots of dust and chips all around!!! After assembly I used tape to protect the part of the wing that was not part of the airfoil. Took me about two afternoons to sand the airfoil. I also applied a coat of thin CA along the edges of the airfoils to strengthen the balsa there. Sanded the entire bird and gave it a coat of SIG's Sanding Sealer... it smells...

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

Right now it is waiting to be sanded. Nice glider and fun to build but I did not liked all that sanding. Here are a few pics of how it looks right now. I was thinking of painting it close to what it looks like on the Estes 1973 Catalog.

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

Right now it is waiting to be sanded. Nice glider and fun to build but I did not liked all that sanding. Here are a few pics of how it looks right now. I was thinking of painting it close to what it looks like on the Estes 1973 Catalog.

I built one from scratch from plans...got some warm air on a cold gray day....it thermaled out on the first flight ...headed deep into the woodline, never to be seen again.

have the pod still....

The Glider is another story: carving and sanding... lots of dust and chips all around!!! After assembly I used tape to protect the part of the wing that was not part of the airfoil. Took me about two afternoons to sand the airfoil. I also applied a coat of thin CA along the edges of the airfoils to strengthen the balsa there.
Those are two great ideas, wish I had thought of that!
I was thinking of painting it close to what it looks like on the Estes 1973 Catalog.
Yeah, I'm kind of partial to that scheme too ;). If you figure out how to get those corner curves in the mask, please let me know!

I think that I will first make the wing pattern out of paper. Then will place masking tape on a cutting board and use the paper pattern to mark then cut the curved corners. Then place the masking tape over the fins.

At the Old Rocketeer's Reunion during NARAM-50, former Estes employee Mike Hellmund displayed many Estes Catalog models that he had rescued from the trash dumpster.

Here's a picture of the actual photo model of the Nighthawk used in catalog pictures.

Estes Catalog Model Nighthawk @ NARAM-50.jpg

I haven't built a Knighthawk since my original back in the 70's. It was a really fine build that I enjoyed even with all the sanding. Back then I added the hawks Head and bill to the forward end of the glider. seemed like a natural thing to do, I'm glad to see Carl agrees:)

Biggest problem was I never got to fly the bird, it was destoryed by vandels a week before it's scheduled launch:(

Last edited:

A word of warning on the yellow finish. I built one quite a few years ago and tissued it in yellow esaki. It thermalled a ways away but not too far. It landed in dry grass never to be seen again. :(

When I build the next one, it will be red and black...:cool:

Back