Quantcast

Semroc's Nighthawk Finally Finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

rosko_racer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
1,497
Reaction score
0
This one was as painful to build at the OT. I did go for airfoiling the wings on the glider... what a pain!!! I even got asma after all that sanding!!! Painted it orange metalflake and gloss black. Added a few decals so that it would not look so plain. Who has built one of these? What was your experience? Was it a pain as mine?

... now, which rocket is next on my list to finish this weekend??

NightHawk-002.jpg


NightHawk-003.jpg
 

zog139

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
434
Reaction score
19
Raul I finished mine a ways back and have not flown it yet either. I'll bring this one to Craigs as well.
 

rosko_racer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
1,497
Reaction score
0
Looks like that while at Craigs there are going to be a few Nighthawks, OT, and Launch missiles. I still have to balance the glider... that may happen tomorrow...
 

AKPilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
5,347
Reaction score
0
Completely awesome! Inspirational . . .
 

rrobe99999

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2009
Messages
107
Reaction score
9
I enjoyed building this kit. I usually clone rockets from plans, so having laser cut balsa and decals is quite a luxury for me. Notching and bending the wing tip was a new technique for me. Looks like you perfected that as well. Using "pin in hole" to attach glider to pod was also new to me. This is much easier than the "piece X" method. The airfoil shape was different than any others I had done before. I was suprised with how well this tail-less design worked. I continue to learn something new with every rocket I build. The 1/2A motor is not enough. Go with the B4-2.
 

shuyge

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
5
I scratch built one of these many years ago. I used contest grade balsa, and covered the wings in yellow tissue. Mine was a superb flier but I needed to tweak one of the wing tips to get it to circle. I ended up cutting off the tips, sanding in the correct anehedral angle and gluing them back on. I ended up losing it after it thermaled off a ways and I wasn't able to be close to it when it landed. The yellow color in grass ended up being the killer.
 
Top