Semrock Hydra VII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'll probably use a 12" on the payload section and a 24" on the main section. I like my chutes big and my rockets coming down slowly :)

EDIT: Deepsky is out of 24" and doesn't do 12". So it'll be 3 15" chutes.

Arghhhhhhhh Ive lost one of the small nosecone halfs , they where drying on a peice of laminate flooring and now theres only 5 :( :( :( :( :( Ill post a pic of the rear of the rocket after this post
-Karl

Sorry about the poor quality , my other camera is broken.
-Karl

Looking good, Karl. :D

Fair play on painting it by hand. I've tried that, on other rockets; but theres not enough blood in my alcohol stream to keep my hand steady enough! ;)

lol , I was w ondering why the hell I had 24 small fins , I was like , 'this cannot be right' . So it looks like I got a free fin sheet ;)
Thanks for the comment on the Hydra it still isnt finished . Needs the Nosecone to be sanded & primed & painted :p
-Karl

Friday 00:03am , I was awakened by a terrific thud which left me traumatized. I sprung out of bed and found near enough every rocket I own on the floor , fins snapped , dented bodytubes , and the culprit purring at my ankles. Just to my 'amazement' the worst damaged was the Hydra :( 3 small fins where snapped down the grain , 2 wooden dowels snapped in half , and 1 main fin on the Augmenter BodyTube was riped across the grain:confused: .. The rocket took the following steps to be repaired.
1) Everything broken sanded again
2) 3 Small fins CA'd back together
4) Main fin was CA'd back into place
5) Main fin had a layer of CA over the crack to add strength
6) The cracks where coverd with woodfiller , and sanded down
7) The rocket hit the air-compressor to get rid of any dust left from sanding.
8) Repainted to the same colours
9) Dowels CA'd back into place and a layer of epoxy around the snaps.

This has taken me all weekend to repair , but now nothing is noticeable. I still havent found the mini nosecone half that went walkies , maybe the kitten had something to do with it again :(
I have a launch on Saturday and I want the Hydra to attend , but with out this nosecone im going no where. Looks like Im gonna' have to buy a new one. Does anyone have the dimensions of the small nosecones please , and a link to a cheap balsa machining company in the UK.
-Karl

Sorry about the accident.
You know, if you wanted, you could just shape a NC out of card stock. I believe those small ones are small enough that once you coat with some glue, and paint it all, you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from the balsa ones.
Just a thought.

Tim

Sorry to hear about the Accident :(. If I ever get a cat, I will keep him/her out of my rocket room!

This weekend I flew my Hydra twice. Saturday she flew purty with seven A8's. Sunday on seven B4-4's. It is real interesting hearing those ejection charges going off!

Thanks for the comments , the cat should be outside usually she is! Some how she snuck her self into my room :mad: Sorry to ask this but what is 'card-stock' ? I do have some thick card lying around.......I did have the same idea , where i could bend a stip of card around one of the other nosecones , hold it in place and cover it in CA till it takes the shape , sand it then paint...
-Karl

Originally posted by Karl
what is 'card-stock' ?
I transtate card-stock as approx 160gsm card - the stuff used in photocopiers, about twice as thick as normal paper.

If you can find it, use 200gsm card, but watch you don't buy a rediculously priced 'speciality inkjet paper', you're not printing photos and it'll be a waste of money for what you want.

You got the right idea.
Card stock is just heavy thick paper.
Here in the US it is rated in pounds. I use 110 pound just because that's what the local store has available.
It's almost as thick as posterboard but textured like paper.
It's easy to work with, and you could make your cone just the way you mentioned. Use one of the other cones to mold the paper over, smear some glue on it for stiffness, glue it in place, use some glue to fill the gaps, sand, and paint.

Tim

I got the rocket flew today on 3 x C6-3's . Strait as a die ! And not problems with igniton , even got a video check it out !

https://karlsrocketry.tripod.com

Its under the ' Sherdley Park Pics' part.
-Karl

Back