Semroc vs Estes Goblin & Hornet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todderbert

Reaction score
I was wondering what the kit differences are between the Goblin/Hornet kits made by Semroc and Estes? Read that the Semroc kits have an adapter for the Goblin to run small 18mm engines while the Hornet has the ability to run "D"s along with 18mms. I like having options like that, but wondered if buying these kits is worth it if I have the Estes versions all ready. My Hornet is built, but the Goblin is still in the bag. Did I hear they use stronger BTs, thicker walled vs Estes? Noticed Semroc uses balsa nose cones instead of plastic. Wanted to try another goto company for my LPR habit.

re:goblin
small differences in; decals(aside from one saying semroc), launch lug placement(use the Estes placement), nose cone material, and engine mount adapter is/is not included. oh right, the semroc version comes with a bit of Kevlar for the shock cord mount.
Rex

Semroc has some awesome kits. One of my favorite Retro-Repro kits is the clone of the Estes Blue Bird Zero. It also comes with the 24mm/18mm adapter. Semroc is also a great source for parts too.

Semroc is better than Estes IMHO. I just built the Semroc Goblin and I loved the build....quality materials, quality instructions and a 24-18mm adapter to boot. Leave out the motor hook on the 24mm hole and you can fly it on E9-6s or 24mm reloads. The only thing I'd do different is to change out the streamer to something a bit more substantial. I've never been a fan of crepe paper streamers.

Where would you buy your Semroc kits online? eRockets ships fast because I live in the Chicago area. Are there any other favorite Semroc vendors? I'm going to get a couple of these kits based on all of your recommendations.

Agreed, the Semroc kits are awesome. I love having the balsa nosecones (even though I grump to myself about the extra sanding and sealing, the balsa nose cones are so much better than plastic).

re: where to buy, eRockets is probably the best. He also has a presence on ebay, but I don't think you save any money.

Where would you buy your Semroc kits online? eRockets ships fast because I live in the Chicago area. Are there any other favorite Semroc vendors? I'm going to get a couple of these kits based on all of your recommendations.

eRockets IS Semroc. He bought the company after the death of the founder/owner and keeps the name and website active as a tribute to absent friends. That said, I've only gotten mine from eRockets web store. No complaints about the service.

I'm glad I looked at this thread. I didn't know anything about Semroc/eRockets, and now I know that the Blue Bird Zero is available! A friend of mine built one back in the day and I always liked it. Now I can get one of my own!

eRockets IS Semroc. He bought the company after the death of the founder/owner and keeps the name and website active as a tribute to absent friends. That said, I've only gotten mine from eRockets web store. No complaints about the service.

Probably more precise to say Semroc is a subset (but a large subset) of eRockets. I know he bought it lock, stock & barrel, but eRockets had a business before (and after) that is more than just Semroc.

Back