semroc V-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
Was on their website this morning and could not pass up this kit.Includes free shipping.Anyone build one of the x-kits?

Was on their website this morning and could not pass up this kit.Includes free shipping.Anyone build one of the x-kits?

Yes, I built one for the EMRR 2009 Challenge, in which I did not get a chance to compete due to a Llama related incident.

It is a great little kit, typical high Semroc standards of fit and finish. Even gives you the option of scale fins or oversized fins. FInished my out in as a proposed Kriegsmarine sea launched version of the V2. Thanks to Luke Strawalker for sharing the great decal he created.

Very nice paint job.Don't know what paint scheme I'll go with.But I do like yours.Have to give this some thought.

Very nice paint job.Don't know what paint scheme I'll go with.But I do like yours.Have to give this some thought.

Just so no one thinks I am trying to claim credit for the paint job, the linked rocket is not mine. I just patterned mine after Luke Strawalker's fantastic paint job.

That's a nice paint scheme- i have not seen that one before.
i'm painting my v2 with this paint scheme, which i think looks a bit unusual.

v2 no 3.jpg

rstaff3,is the camo. version all hand painted, is there a green base coat?Must of taken hours on both.I don't know if I have the patience.Alot of masking on a small bodytube.But the results are remarkable.

One thing I noticed,are the instructions with this kit?I'm a bit confused about what I'm reading on this.I just built a Sunward Screamer kit(level 3) that turned out great.The hardest thing about that kit was building the motor mount.The cutting of the tube proved to be easier than I thought.But When I ordered this kit it didn't state that it did not come with instructions(or did I miss this?).This is a level 2 build.Any help would be welcomed.this was ordered today.Thanks,cjp.

One thing I noticed,are the instructions with this kit?I'm a bit confused about what I'm reading on this.I just built a Sunward Screamer kit(level 3) that turned out great.The hardest thing about that kit was building the motor mount.The cutting of the tube proved to be easier than I thought.But When I ordered this kit it didn't state that it did not come with instructions(or did I miss this?).This is a level 2 build.Any help would be welcomed.this was ordered today.Thanks,cjp.

The X-Kits don't have a full set of instructions, just a few added tips. There should be a link to JimZ's site where they can be downloaded.

Re: My camo paint job - I shot a base coat of Testor's desert tan and then added the other coats with brush-on paint. I masked a bit at a time. The scheme is my own but is roughly patterned off a one I saw on a web site.

I found that out just a few moments,will vist the site.You did a nice job on your rocket.Any problems on finding her in high grass?The club I belong to flys from a 140 acre farm donated to the city of Aurora,Ohio and there is some high grass fields and nearby woods that might give a problem to finding it.I'm thinking of a white and black pattern.

Thank you,I saved that page,it does'nt look to hard to build,but I don't want to miss anything.I've been away from this hobby for over 30 years,got back into it this past August and have built 7 rockets since,this will be my 8th.This is becoming habit forming,but I'm having so much fun.

Those colors are not as easy to find as bright ones, but I haven't had a problem yet. At least the chute is brighter. Unless I use a camo one of those too. :eek:

cjp,

Welcome to TRF! I get up to fly with the MTMA once every year (or two). Maybe I'll get to meet you sometime.

Yes, I built one for the EMRR 2009 Challenge, in which I did not get a chance to compete due to a Llama related incident.

It is a great little kit, typical high Semroc standards of fit and finish. Even gives you the option of scale fins or oversized fins. FInished my out in as a proposed Kriegsmarine sea launched version of the V2. Thanks to Luke Strawalker for sharing the great decal he created.

Cool! You're certainly welcome Layne... :) Never had anybody inspired to copy my work before... :eek:

Got any pics?? I'd love to see them!

Later! OL JR :)

That's a nice paint scheme- i have not seen that one before.
i'm painting my v2 with this paint scheme, which i think looks a bit unusual.

I copied it virtually identically to the Polaris missiles, at least the photos released of the test rounds launched from the Cape:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UGM-27_Polaris

https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-27.html

Specifically I copied the pattern of the Polaris missiles seen in the James Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me" when Bond is removing the detonator from a Polaris missile to modify into an armor-piercing bomb to get into the tanker control room at the climax of the movie...

OF course, since the Polaris had no fins, unlike the V-2, I wondered about what to do to make the back end more 'visually interesting' so I copied the aft roll pattern seen in some launch pad photos of test Polaris missiles and painted one side of each fin black, half the intervening tailcone adjacent to the fin black as well to the centerline between the fins, and the opposite fins' facing side white, along with the tailcone from the center to the second fin. The back of that fin was black, in a repeating pattern on the 'front' and 'back' of each fin and the adjoining tail cone. Those line up with the roll pattern bars on the front of the rocket, and the black ring around the top of the tube masks the nose cone line, so the nose cone with the same black-white stripe pattern tapering to the point (masked off as well as I could for my first "big" paintjob since getting back into rocketry a year or so before, but which would be better today:)) and having the black and white bars start at exactly 1/8 diameter (same as the black/white bars under the tube-top black ring) means you can fly it with the black and white stripes either all aligned above and below the ring, or alternating.

I like it. What really surprised me was, in searching out U-boat "nose art" that there wasn't ANYTHING that was really 'cool'-- not even like in the movie "U-571". So I made my own...

Later! OL JR :)

I down loaded the plans after I down loaded the wrong estes kit( no.1926).Then I found the estes k-22 plan.I'm happy to here from a member who flew with MTMA.Great group of people.Hope to see and meet you Peartree.Our next launch is a high powered launch in Middlefield,Ohio,I think in 2 weeks.If your still a member you should get a e-mail from Mark.If not let me know and I can pass on the information to you.Thanks again,cjp.

I down loaded the plans after I down loaded the wrong estes kit( no.1926).Then I found the estes k-22 plan.I'm happy to here from a member who flew with MTMA.Great group of people.Hope to see and meet you Peartree.Our next launch is a high powered launch in Middlefield,Ohio,I think in 2 weeks.If your still a member you should get a e-mail from Mark.If not let me know and I can pass on the information to you.Thanks again,cjp.

We never actually joined (mostly because we're over an hour away) but we *are* on the Yahoo! groups mailing list. If it isn't posted there, then, yes, I'd love to know when and where.

I'll let you know as soon as I receive a e-mail from Mark.I'm in Cuyahoga Falls.So for me it's still a 30 to 40 min. drive to Middlefield.I'm a bicycle rider of 30 years and have ridden that part of the state.It's Amish country and really a nice drive out.Will let you know as soon as I find out anything.cjp.

After printing the K22 plans I found that they have a few pictures of different paint patterns(Fig.16)I don't know what I'll go with.I'll have to search the web for different pictures.Thanks luke strawwalker.

Just looking at the Fig 16 again,one of the Peenemunde test variations was a black bottom up to the middle and rest white.So that means taping only half and still getting a correct paint pattern.It's not all that bad looking to me.I know it's taking the easyway out,but I can always build a larger scale(hope the wife isn't looking) and try a more difficult variation.

Yep, I bought, built, and flew one at NARAM 50 last year. The motor is *still* stuck in it! It flew like a bat out of hell on a B6-4.

having just spent the last few minutes on the web i have found that Excelsior do decal sets for the no 3.
https://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id15.html

I am currently, among other things :rolleyes: working on the V-2 decals. They are one of the more "dissorganised" files I got with Excelsior. They are all there they are just a bit confusing. I'm not blaming Phred. The V-2 scale decals are just way confusing.

I will have combination set when I finish with various V-2 rounds and scale based on main body tube sizes.

Please, be patient with me. The organization on this one is a head scratcher.

Or is that headbanger?:bang:

I am currently, among other things :rolleyes: working on the V-2 decals. They are one of the more "dissorganised" files I got with Excelsior. They are all there they are just a bit confusing. I'm not blaming Phred. The V-2 scale decals are just way confusing.

I will have combination set when I finish with various V-2 rounds and scale based on main body tube sizes.

Please, be patient with me. The organization on this one is a head scratcher.

Or is that headbanger?:bang:

i was going to email you today about these, so thanks for letting me know in advance. still on the base coat of yelow on the rocket, so won't be needing declas for a bit, i'll be in touch. on the positive side, you know you have at leasy one customer wanting the decals! its the no 3 decals that i want, which should be "easier" than the no 2.

The kit is a fun build and great flyer.Just take your time on the finish.Here's mine with the oversize fins and 3-tone jagged camo. John P.:D

DSCN1059 (2).jpg

yeah V-2's!!!!

V-2's have a special place as where I went to school had a motor that was donated by Von Braun in the 50's. I did a little restoration work on it. I once had an awesome binder of reference material but it has mysteriously vanished.

Good info here
https://www.v2rocket.com/

I have 2 a estes one painted in camo that I need to paint a new NC for and the Maxi V-2 painted as the A-4 test variant (The first successful flight in Oct 43 complete with Frau der Monde)
seen here
https://www.v2rocket.com/start/makeup/bw_scheme2.jpg

also
Hölsken, Dieter:
"V-Missiles of the Third Reich: The V-1 and V-2"
is an excelent resource

Been having trouble posting,three times today I was not allowed to post on my own thread.jpaw33,nice camo job,airbrush?If not ,you have a steady hand.I would love to try a paint job like yours or like mjennings,but the masking on such a small Dia. tube for me would most difficult when trying to get straight and perfect blocks.The camo paint might be a better choice if I don't go bottom half black and top white.This was one of the test variations used at Peenemunde.It might also be easier to see if I put a C6-7 in her.

Tamiya paints thru an airbrush,masked with Tamiya tape. v2rocket.com is an excellent site,lots of paint schemes. Good luck!! John

Back