Semroc USS Andromeda?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was browsing through the latest edition of Sport Rocketry Magazine when I noticed an ad for the new Semroc USS Andromeda. I looked on the eRockets site but there seems to be no mention of it. Is there anybody out there with any details?

I see that the Andromeda fins are available at eRockets. I thought I saw Phil building the prototype, but I'll be there tomorrow night and can ask for details.

The Andromeda fins have been there awhile. It's the Estes version, you can tell by the catalog #:FES for Estes. I ordered them about a year or so ago for my Estes clone. Might be a possible new Retro Repro coming up. Still waiting for the MX Omega shown in the Semroc catalog.

I can tell you that they don't just slap a bunch of stuff together and throw it in a bag. I've seen some of what they do to release a kit when I get there early for our weekly build sessions. I probably missed a step or two, but these are at least some of the many steps to release a kit:

Decide on a design
Will the design sell enough to justify creating it?
Create the Bill of Material
Create instructions
Build a prototype
Fly it a few times
Make changes if needed
Make a few kits and have people build them to verify the instructions and Bill of Material (I've done this part)
Make changes if needed
Build another prototype if significant changes were made to the bill or instructions
Repeat the previous steps as needed
Create a production plan, which parts can be made and which are ordered
Make sure inventory and staffing can support planned production
Order parts if needed
Schedule the production
Go into production

Thanks for the info Zeus. I have a set of the Semroc fins and the card stock centering ring set as well.
I just found it strange that I saw an ad for it before it was released.
The Andromeda has always been one of my favorite Estes designs and I'm super excited to see a Semroc version in the works.

I talked to Randy this evening and he said they are waiting for delivery of several parts for the kit.

Carl had several parts cut for the USS Andromeda (rings and fins) that I remember. We were always running out of them. So glad Randy is bring the kit into production, I know it will be popular.

I'm sorta hoping Semroc does a production run. I built an Andromeda in 79' IIRC.

I think I would also like to do a BT60/BT80 upscale, someday...

Interesting that the decal sheet for the Andromeda has an image of the archer, Sagittarius.

I was at eRockets and I talked to Randy yesterday about this.
He said they're waiting on a order of body tubes to come in.
He said they may not be able to release it until very early 2019.

Thanks,

It is coming guys. The instructions are almost finished. Waiting on decals to arrive. These will be screen printed water slide not laser printed. That's part of the delay. Using the same fins but upgrading the body tubes a little bit. We hope you'll be patient with us.

I'm happy to wait for them to be done right! All the Semroc brand kits I've seen from e-rockets are a class act...I'm sure Carl would approve. Upscales are great too. Val Derkach has flown a very impressive one out here at SDTRA that must be about a 2.5x.

I was browsing through the latest edition of Sport Rocketry Magazine when I noticed an ad for the new Semroc USS Andromeda. I looked on the eRockets site but there seems to be no mention of it. Is there anybody out there with any details?

Are you sure it was not the USS Andromeda from MoreRockets.com ?

There is also an original Andromeda on E-Bay right now, if you are willing to pay the price...

Does anyone know what E-Rockets is doing for the foil wrap? That is probably the most difficult part of this model to procure.

Does anyone know what E-Rockets is doing for the foil wrap? That is probably the most difficult part of this model to procure.

They are using their laser to burn/darken lines on adhesive backed aluminum wrap around thingees. On Tuesday night I saw the prototype built by Phil and it looked goooooood.

I'm sorta hoping Semroc does a production run. I built an Andromeda in 79' IIRC.

I think I would also like to do a BT60/BT80 upscale, someday...
I am planning also on a build. Got the laser cut fins from Erockets and I forget where I ordered the decals. The Andromeda was one of my favorites!

Looks like the intro of the Semroc USS Andromeda must have been delayed ("Available Jan. 2019"). Understandable considering all the things that need to come together in launching a new kit. Anyway, does anyone know what happened to the Semroc MX Omega? I understand they were doing fields tests some months back. It's in the Semroc 2018 catalog, but haven't heard anything since. Kitbasher? Zeus Cat?

Thought I saw something on the erockets website a couple of weeks or so ago. IIRC it said "Coming in July". But then it disappeared after a couple of days. Good to see them trying to get it right instead of rushing to put it out. I've built my share of unstable kits from manufacturers who only care about the $$$$$. Cheers.

Last edited:
I talked to Randy at the club launch yesterday. He said that they are waiting on a tube and decals. He wants the decals to be just right and so far he doesn't have them of the proper quality. Hopefully in June.

Back up on the erockets website with an "Available July 2019" tag. Shows out of stock until the release. Priced at just under $50. Reasonable considering the size and complexity of the kit. Parts, decals, and instructions also listed separately. Two decal sheets listed, a screen printed water slide with white ink and a "new technology" black on silver sheet, as Zeus Cat mentioned.
Looks like I won't have to do a clone:
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flying-model-rocket-kit-uss-andromeda-kv-97-available-july-2019/
Looks like it won't be long now, Malbar!

The initial black on silver laser etched decal was a bust. You could easily scratch off the black with your fingernail. However, a club member recently found a new material to use and it tested great. It is very thin aluminized sheet (1/250th of an inch?) with an adhesive back that lasers great. I saw the test pieces a few weeks ago. Randy and Phil were thrilled with the results. Well, all of us were thrilled. And the material comes in other colors too.

Truly one of the greatest, most coherent sci-fi designs of all time. I also love the Alien Explorer variant (other than the green color scheme).

And now, although no one asked, I'm going to take this opportunity to retract my long-ago comments on the "overly high prices" of the last round of Shrockets from Apogee. It takes money to develop and sell these kits at relatively low volumes, and I now realize how lucky we are that anyone is willing to do it at all. Kits cost what they cost. Estes is a whole separate category due to their high volumes and off-shore manufacturing.

Expensive kit but you get what you pay for. I'm thrilled that it will be available.

So Phil and Randy showed me the decals and silver wrap.

Here are the laser printed decals.
Sb4qipE.jpg

Here are the new silk screened version. Hmm... a slight improvement would you say?
yNBvwOA.jpg

Here are the decals for the nose'
fNqHEoL.jpg

Here are the two silver wraps. The one on the left is the first attempt. The one on the right is the latest attempt. I scratched both of them and the one on the left flakes easily and the one on the right held up under repeated scratching. The old one had just the surface material burned. The new one has the material etched deep enough that you can't scratch it off.

MmTUhdc.jpg

A limited number of these will be available as soon as tomorrow.

Guys,
We still have to produce the metal wraps but they should be done by the end of the week. One of the club members created the wrap that Zeus-cat photographed and we applied to the model. As soon as I finish this post, I'm going to start on producing the wraps here in house. Should have these kits ready to go starting next week. As was stated before, we have been waiting on getting body tubes from suppliers, finding someone to produce the wonderful decals for this kit, and figuring out how to produce a quality foil wrap so we can produce the quality of kit that you all expect.
I hope we have succeeded, and that you enjoy this kit.

Randy also wanted me to say that we upgraded this kit by using ST7 and ST9 Body Tubes instead of BT20 an BT50 Tubes. ST tubes are a little bit thicker walled so they should hold up better with just a slight size difference in the outside diameter.

Back