Semroc Trident X-Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypv

And so it begins...
Reaction score
Just finished the Trident.
I picked up some original Trident decals at NARAM from Gordon (Sandman).
As always a great kit from Semroc.

Trident sm.jpg

Looks awesome Tony! Mine is still just plain ol white:eek: But, mine is an original Estes kit that HAD been sitting naked for 30 something years..So, maybe someday the decals will go on!:roll:

Looks awesome Tony! Mine is still just plain ol white:eek: But, mine is an original Estes kit that HAD been sitting naked for 30 something years..So, maybe someday the decals will go on!:roll:
That would kind of be like taking Granny out to get a tattoo, wouldn't it, Jon? :shock: :D

MarkII

Looks great Tony!

Did you buy your x-kit at NARAM? I'm working on mine right now. I've got the ports cut and all the balsa filled, sanded, and glued in.

I'm sure Sandman appreciated the business, but did Sheryl give you a set of decals for the Trident? They are not in the kit, but I was handed a separate sheet of decals when I picked mine up. Or, were you saying Sandman gave you a set out of an actual Estes kit?

AKPilot and Pantherjon thanks. :)

Looks great Tony!

Did you buy your x-kit at NARAM? I'm working on mine right now. I've got the ports cut and all the balsa filled, sanded, and glued in.

I'm sure Sandman appreciated the business, but did Sheryl give you a set of decals for the Trident? They are not in the kit, but I was handed a separate sheet of decals when I picked mine up. Or, were you saying Sandman gave you a set out of an actual Estes kit?

Thanks Craig. :)
I bought mine right after they came out. My kit came with the Semroc decals (in the box not in the kit bag) that are not the same as the Estes decals. Sandman's decals are ones he printed and are the Estes design.

Tony, did you use the dowel stand offs for the launch lugs? I'm thinking about leaving them off but want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by doing so.

Edit: Also, how did you handle the motor mount assembly? I found the coupler and centering ring assembly did not match up with ring measurements on the engine tube. When you slide it over the BT20, it's too long and the BT20 doesn't slide all the way through if you stop at the first mark. It's supposed to have a small lip above the top coupler ring where the instructions indicate it needs to be filleted. I slide the coupler assembly down to the second ring marking and added a new marking at the bottom. I suppose I'll have to modify the rear decal to fit now, since the amount of exposed tube have been shortened a little. I could have left off one of the decorative rings to make everything jive, but it looks much better with four rings instead of three.

Last edited:
Tony, did you use the dowel stand offs for the launch lugs? I'm thinking about leaving them off but want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by doing so.

Edit: Also, how did you handle the motor mount assembly? I found the coupler and centering ring assembly did not match up with ring measurements on the engine tube. When you slide it over the BT20, it's too long and the BT20 doesn't slide all the way through if you stop at the first mark. It's supposed to have a small lip above the top coupler ring where the instructions indicate it needs to be filleted. I slide the coupler assembly down to the second ring marking and added a new marking at the bottom. I suppose I'll have to modify the rear decal to fit now, since the amount of exposed tube have been shortened a little. I could have left off one of the decorative rings to make everything jive, but it looks much better with four rings instead of three.

I didn't use the dowel. In stead I used balsa stand offs, but not as thick. I think the reason for the stand offs is in case the tubes are miss aligned a little.

I did what you did and also put the rings a little closer together. But I still had to trim the decals a little. :rolleyes:

I like the idea of the balsa standoff, I may use that.

One "trick" I used on this was to make little cardstock corner pieces inside rectangular ports. In other words, on the ends of each port of the central tubes, I made small U shaped brackets(about 1/8 " wide) and CA'ed them in place leaving half the width sticking out. These acted as a guides to help align the ports. Worked very well to help line everything up and add a tiny bit of reinforcement in the areas that don't benefit from the thick glue fillets. Wish I had taken a pic of that step. But I'm like you, in that, once I get started on a project, I often don't want interrupt the flow and stop for a picture.

I like the idea of the balsa standoff, I may use that.

One "trick" I used on this was to make little cardstock corner pieces inside rectangular ports. In other words, on the ends of each port of the central tubes, I made small U shaped brackets(about 1/8 " wide) and CA'ed them in place leaving half the width sticking out. These acted as a guides to help align the ports. Worked very well to help line everything up and add a tiny bit of reinforcement in the areas that don't benefit from the thick glue fillets. Wish I had taken a pic of that step. But I'm like you, in that, once I get started on a project, I often don't want interrupt the flow and stop for a picture.

That's a great tip Craig.
Wish I'd known about that before I built mine. Would have been a lot easier. ;)

Finished mine last night. Once I pulled out the Semroc decals, I understood what you were talking about. I got a fresh batch of Micro Mark Decal paper the other day and wanted to try it out, so I printed up Kurt Schachner's decals(which I'm sure are similar to to Excelsior). I'm not 100 % sure those are the original Estes design either ??? I've heard on the earliest versions they were supposed to be made from tape. But, did decals that came later in the kit look like What Kurt drew up? It's hard to tell by the catalog photos.

I'll try and get some flight pics this afternoon.:)

Trident-xkit.jpg

To Foose4string,
My original Estes Trident (early 1970s) didn't come with any decals.
You were given directions on how to make the long red stripes from red-sprayed scotch tape! I did mine that way, but not very successfully.

This is from my old instructions: Read the red trim part -

Lettering: “Presstype” or decal lettering
Symbol: Hand-drawn in enamel or India ink
Red Trim: Spread cellophane tape strip on glass or back of metal rule and paint or spray red - let dry -
Cut to required shape and peel from glass with point of knife. Locate trim in proper area and press in place.
Black Trim: Decorator tape strip is placed on glass or back of metal rule and items of black trim are cut to shape. Lift pieces with point of knife - locate in their correct spots and press in place.

Next time I'll get the decals.

Finished mine last night. Once I pulled out the Semroc decals, I understood what you were talking about. I got a fresh batch of Micro Mark Decal paper the other day and wanted to try it out, so I printed up Kurt Schachner's decals(which I'm sure are similar to to Excelsior). I'm not 100 % sure those are the original Estes design either ??? I've heard on the earliest versions they were supposed to be made from tape. But, did decals that came later in the kit look like What Kurt drew up? It's hard to tell by the catalog photos.

I'll try and get some flight pics this afternoon.:)

Looks great Craig. :)

Back