SEMROC Thunder Strike Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsNorth

Reaction score
After a few months being too busy with work to do much on the hobby front, I have found some time to start some projects on the Rocket Front :)

So for my first build of 2010 here the SEMROC Thunder Strike, my first really long rocket. 4 feet when ready to fly.

picture.php

There's really difficult about this kit, but I'm really enjoying this kit!

Last edited:
The first thing of I found interesting was how this kit ties the Kevlar line to the motor mount

picture.php

Reading the instructions is a definite plus

Following the assembly instructions through the build makes this a very quick and satisfying project.

The next challenge was mounting and aligning the 2 launch lugs on the bottom of the rocket. Since this build uses 2 small lugs, one mounted on the fin and one mounted along the the same line at the top of bottom BT.
To align the 2 LL's I used a technique that JAL3 posted recently on one of his build threads using a piece of a launch rod to set the lugs properly

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The rod was held in place by a piece of Painter's Tape

Last edited:
After 3 rounds of primer and sanding the Thunder Strike is ready for paint

picture.php

I plan to use the standard color scheme red & white, but for a little extra pizazz the NC will be painted the same red to match the lower part of the rocket.
Krylon Gloss Banner Red........ Daaad Sexy! :bangbang:

What are you using to cradle that body tube? That looks pretty handy!

What are you using to cradle that body tube? That looks pretty handy!

They're High Density polyfoam cross support packing for HP Blade Enclosures. We have to trash the packing every time we install a new Enclosure, so I figure Reduce Reuse Recycle. Yeah, they come in really handy especially for complex wings like the Orbital Transport. I have a couple I can give up, PM me if you're interested.

The Thunder Strike is finished!!

picture.php

The only deviation I made was to paint the NC the same Red as the as the bottom half of the lower BT.

picture.php

I would like some advice on the chute. I had thoughts of replacing the 16" chute SEMROC supplied with an 18" Mylar chute. When I opened the SEMROC chute I noticed it is a 4 shroud design. The chute I was planning on replacing it with is only a 3 shroud design. I'm now a little worried that the Mylar chute may not be up to the stress of deployment and decent. Anyone have any thoughts??
Thx

Last edited:
Looks great! I can't wait to fly mine. I re-christened it to Wolkentanzer (cloud dancer) and I have to wait for a warm day to spray on the clear lacquer to apply my decals. ( I use flats, this way I don't have to worry about build-up or runs.) I do plan to use the Semroc lightning flash, I really like it.

Nice work!:)

Looks great! I can't wait to fly mine. I re-christened it to Wolkentanzer (cloud dancer) and I have to wait for a warm day to spray on the clear lacquer to apply my decals. ( I use flats, this way I don't have to worry about build-up or runs.) I do plan to use the Semroc lightning flash, I really like it.

Nice work!:)

Thanks Steve. Yeah I hear ya, I'm really anxious to this one up too. I think I'll be buying the LHS out of D Engines this weekend if the weather stays calm, clear and above freezing. Before the Super Bowl of course ;)
I've shied away from flat because I'm a little afraid of screwing up all the work if the clear is not compatible with the paint. I've seen several threads related to that here.

I'll be looking for some pix of your finished product. I really liked this build.

Back