Semroc Starfire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
This one had its own build thread in the old TRF. I thought it was in pretty good condition and pulled it out of the "crate" yesterday to bring it home and build it its own little protective box. Its an ongoing project of mine to retrofit the entire fleet with boxes to protect them during transport.

Today, I took it out to measure it for box diminsions and was horrified to find a gash in the nose cone. I have no idea how it got there but it looks like it was cut with a tube. Its also pretty deep.

NC-Ding.jpg

Not knowing how else to attack this problem, I trowel on some Elmer's filler and set it aside to dry. I left it kind of "lumpy" because when I tried to smooth it, the gash underneath really stood out. I figure the excess material will sand away easily enough.

filler-1.jpg

filler-2.jpg

The filler was sanded off and seemed to have filled the gash nicely. Some of the NC paint was also sanded away but the cone was to get a brand new paintjob anyway.

sanded.jpg

A ring was masked off just below the NC and then foil was wrapped around the rocket to pretect existing paint.

Masked-1.jpg

I actually managed to find the original paint and then it took very little time to spray. With that, its ready to rejoin the Low Power Squadron.

purple.jpg

painted.jpg

Back