Semroc SST Shuttle-1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypv

And so it begins...
Reaction score
I just finished the SST Shuttle-1.

As usual I papered the wings/fins with adhesive label paper. I weighed the balsa for the glider before and after, it added 3 grams. I kept the paint light on the glider, one light coat of primer and one coat of gloss white. Also a coat of Future after the decals. The glider weighs in at 12 grams.
The only thing I haven't done is put on the glider trim tabs, waiting until right before it flies in late April. Don't have any place to trim the glider right now.

SST Shuttle 1 sm.jpg

SST Shuttle 2 sm.jpg

SST Shuttle 3.jpg

SST Shuttle 4 sm.jpg

that's a nice looking rocket.
I've never laminated the wings of rocket with label paper, have you ever had problems with them peeling off over time?

Great looking rocket Tony! That is one of the rockets I have added to my cart several times but never hit that order button. One of these days, one will be mine! :p

Looks great Tony! I hope I can see it fly this April.

Mine has stalled. I need to mount the resin ramjets. That and I don't have enough time.

that's a nice looking rocket.
I've never laminated the wings of rocket with label paper, have you ever had problems with them peeling off over time?

Thanks.

I've been using label paper for about 3 years now and haven't had any lifting or peeling. Just make sure you seal the edges (except the root edge) with thin CA.

Looks great Tony! I hope I can see it fly this April.

Mine has stalled. I need to mount the resin ramjets. That and I don't have enough time.

Thanks Mark.

I know yours will look great when you get it done.
Can't wait to see your Saturn V too.

Thanks Doug.
I'm afraid your too late, it's OOP.

What?!!? It's OOP already? Dang, I was going to get one in the near future
to replace my Centuri vintage version. The vacu-formed plastic has become
brittle so I can't really fly it anymore (last flown in late 2004 - I have the
pre-launch pictures).

I just finished the SST Shuttle-1.

The only thing I haven't done is put on the glider trim tabs.
Hi Tony,

Nice job as usual. I didn't use the self-stick paper trim tabs on mine. It didn't seem like they were sturdy enough to hold the trim.

I made balsa elevators and hinged them to the stabilizer using tabs cut from a soda can. The elevators can be bent into position and they stay put.

Back