Semroc Squire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cydermaster

Reaction score
Just put the finishing touches to my Semroc Squire (#28). What a superb rocket.

The kit comes very neatly packaged, and the parts are of kick-@&$£ quality! :) The balsa sheets are very nicely laser cut. The instructions are excelent, and contain a little background to the rocket and the company - a nice touch.

Although a new design, the emphisis is on retro styling. The componants are far from retro, though, with materials like Kevlar (shock cord) being used.

I've used the retro style for my paint job. The nose cone was ment to be blue, as per the cover art, but I picked up the black paint can, by mistake, didn't realise until too late, and couldn't be arsed to sand it back and start again :rolleyes: ! - Anyhow, the black nose is pritty cool.

The waterslide decals finish this bird off to a treat!

:D

Heres the Squire on one of the Semroc rocket racks.

Edit: Posted a better quality pic - didn't realise how much quality had been lost during the jpg conversion!

I ordered a Laser-X from Semroc at the same time as my Squire. That ones in the paint room at the mo, but looks like its going to be even better than the Squire!

On the strength of these two kits, I placed another order, with Semroc, for the Hydra-VII. In the Hydra's parcel was a freebie Triton kit, with a note attached saying "Thanks for the order". You can't beat that! :D Thanks Semroc. :D The Triton took about 1/2hr to build, and is primed and waiting for a coat of the brightest paint I can find. Looks like the Triton is a very loosable rocket! ;)

Heres a pic of the buisness end of the Squire, showing the finnage.

I must say - I'm totally impressed.

The reviews fore SemRoc have been nothing but glowing. At their prices, I *need* to get an order together.

Nice going, Cydermaster!

Finally got to launch my Squire today. :)

I'm glad to report that she flies every bit as well as she looks! :D

With that amount of finnage, I was not surprised that she flew as streight as an arrow.

First flight was on an A8-3. A little underpowered, but an impressive flight, none the less.

Second flight was powered by a Quest B6-4. This ROCKED! She went alot higher than I expected! :D The 'chute didn't open, and acted more like a streamer. In a way, I'm glad it did this, as she would have drifted a fair way if the 'chute had opened! The design of the fins ment that the base of the model touched down before the fins, so they were undamaged.

I am MOST pleased with this kit. :D

Got a cool photo of the B6-4 lift off.

Looks like a nice kit , and you've finished it off realy well! , Does the squire come with the Semroc 12" Blue&Clear 'chute?
-Karl

Originally posted by Karl
Looks like a nice kit , and you've finished it off realy well! , Does the squire come with the Semroc 12" Blue&Clear 'chute?
-Karl
Ta ;)

It does come with one of those cool Blue&Clear 'chutes. I've had enough of Tesco-Bag 'chutes, and normally swap them for one of my Mylar or Nylon ones.

The Semroc 'chute was just too cool not to use, at least once; so I did, and she did look cool coming down under it. The 'chute tangled on the second launch, so its been removed, and my Squire now comes down under a 12" Thrustline Nylon 'chute.

My Laser X came with an even cooler Red&Yellow 'chute, in the same design. That'll be used, at least once, too.

Bung a Squire into your Deepsky basket, Karl, you won't regret it! ;)

lol , I know I wont , it looks fantastic!
When I opened my Hydra , I put the 'chutes to one side. I only just opend the little packets they come in , and relised that there sooo cool! The clear blue looks realy nice , and matches the rocket. They do look a little fragile to heat , so im a bit warey of damaging such a nice 'chute haha!
-Karl

Deepsky will be stocking the entire Semroc line shortly. We have most of the new ones and a lot of the back catalogue but will be filling in the gaps or folks that like the good old designs.

We really appreciate your custom. Thanks for all your support.

Paul

Got a chance to fly my Squire on a C6-5 today.

WOW - how cool? :D

No pics I'm afraid, but take my word for it - it rocked!

This is, without a doubt, my fave rocket of the moment.

Got bored...nothing on TV worth watching...soooo I decided to build my SEMROC Squire.

I looked at all of those fins and thought...hmmm way more than I need but...is it?

I scanned all the "variations' of fin layouts in the plan book and I didn't see anything that I really liked.

I first glued on the main fins, 'cause I knew I wanted them.:D

But what to do with eight "finlets"...

Then it hit me...I sanded a 45 degree bevel edge on the root of each "finlet" and this is what I came up with.

Now I still have to sand the edges and install the motor mount.

And NO! That wasn't easy to do!:eek:

Originally posted by sandman
Got bored...nothing on TV worth watching...soooo I decided to build my SEMROC Squire.

I looked at all of those fins and thought...hmmm way more than I need but...is it? [snip] But what to do with eight "finlets"...

Then it hit me...I sanded a 45 degree bevel edge on the root of each "finlet" and this is what I came up with. [snip] And NO! That wasn't easy to do!:eek:
Sandman,

*That* is just stinkin' *cool!*:D ;)

I haven't bought a Squire yet because of trying to space 12 fins evenly around an ST-8 body tube. But *this*... WOW! Nice job! I'm looking forward to "post-painting" pics. ;)

Cheers,

--Jay Goemmer
"Centuri Guy"

Thanks.

Actually the main reason I did it wasn't for the spacing...that would be easy for me.

It was the paint masking that killed that idea for me so I came up with the snowflake fin arrangement and a simpler paint scheme.

White body blue fins and nose cone and the red decals.

Back