Semroc SPEV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Here is yet another episode in my ongoing attempt to refurbish and better take take of my active fleet. The rocket is the Semroc SPEV. It was one of the earlier ones but I had developed a few rudimentary skills by this point. It had the most complext paint job I had attempted up until this point.

I managed not to lose any of the fins in flight but one turned up missing anyway when I was rummaging through the box holding many of the older birds. There was no sign of it in the box although I did have a few false starts finding popped fins from other rockets. NOTE: I do not use CA for fin attatchement anymore.

missing-fin.jpg

I ordered a new fin sheet from Semroc and it came in quickly and promptly proceeded to languis for a while until I got arount to it. When I did, I removed one and save the others in the hope that having them would prevent me from ever having to use them.

On my original, I noticed that I had learned to round off the edges by the time I built it so a sheet of sandpaper was used to round all but the root edge. I won't dignify it by calling it "airfoiling" but it does improve the cosmetics.

fin-stock.jpg

rounded-fin.jpg

Something else I noticed from the BT is that when this one was built, I had not yet learned about drilling "rivet holes". I remedied that with the repair and used a tapestry needle to punch a series of holes in the BT where the fin would be applied to allow for better glue penetration.

rivet-holes-1.jpg

rivet-holes-2.jpg

Something else I noticed from the BT is that when this one was built, I had not yet learned about drilling "rivet holes". I remedied that with the repair and used a tapestry needle to punch a series of holes in the BT where the fin would be applied to allow for better glue penetration.

John, try using a thumb tack (push pin) to make the holes. They are a lot easier to control.

John, try using a thumb tack (push pin) to make the holes. They are a lot easier to control.

Thanks for the tip. I had the tapestry needles sitting around but they were not the best choice.

Mostly because it was within easy reach, I sealed the replacement fin with sanding sealer. I put a piece of tape down on a piece of cardboard, sticky side up, and pressed the root edge to the tape. I then used a disposable brush to apply 3 coats over the coarse of a few hours.

The next day, today, I sanded it and decided that the Kilz would fill in any grain that was still left so I began to prime it.

fin-primed-1.jpg

fin-primed-2.jpg

After the Kilz and a bit of light sanding, the fin got 2 coats of glass white. That had a day to dry and then the root edge was perforated with holes from the tapestry needle; I still hadn't gotten around to getting some pushpins.

white.jpg

fin-holes.jpg

The surface being prepared, the fin was placed with a double glue joint and yellow glue.

fin-placed.jpg

I gave the joint several days to dry and then used white glue to apply fillets. I knew that the scar would show through but planned on painting over it.

filleted-1.jpg

filleted-2.jpg

The repair and fillet were painted over with white acrylic. It doesn't match the spray exactly but is close enough for me.

white-2.jpg

While touching up the white, I started feeling guilty about the dings and scars on the black.

black-dings-1.jpg

black-dings-2.jpg

The black was touched up with acrylic as well. After drying, it matched the original black better than the white had.

black-1.jpg

black-2.jpg

black-3.jpg

The SPEV got its first outing since being in the repair hanger today. Since I had Lindsey along to shag rockets, I decided to try it on its largest motor yet, an Aerotech D21-7. It flew beautifully and was gone in the blink of an eye. The chute deployed and we all watched it drift away.

We could not find it but there is a small chance I might be able to locate it on Monday behind a security fence.:(

A video of the flight can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3374939682/

spv-f1a.jpg

spv-f1b.jpg

I went and checked today where I thought the SPEV may have landed. It was no good. It is gone forever.

Did you HAVE to fly it on a D21???:rolleyes:

Pretty much.

It was like the little devil sitting on my shoulder saying, "Do it!". I thought it would go high, and it did, but not quite that high. The wind also decided to pick up for the first time that day just as it left the pad; maybe the vortext generated by the launch caused the wind. I dunno. In any event, its gone.:(

Back