Semroc Sky Hook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
I love the way this one came out. It's a great kit, as are all of the Semroc kits I've built so far. This is the first one I've finished, but I'm seeing a lot of painting in my future this weekend. (I've got Semroc's Lil Hercules, Micron and Astro-1 in primer as we "speak".)

That's nice loking. I remember "graduating" to a Sky Hook from the Scout so many years ago. I think I'll have to get one for old times sake.
Bob

Very nice! :) Just curious, but are the black stripes a decal wrap or are they painted on?

love it. I bought my Semroc Skyhook back at NARAM45. The Skyhook was my very first rocket :)

Haven't built it, but expect to *sometime* this year...

I bet the original Sky Hook does not have Laser Cut fins ;). I have one hanging on my wall, waiting to be built :)

back when the original was made, "laser cutting" was something you read about in SciFi books and others laughed at you for beleiving in such things... LOL

As I remember, my one and only flight with an Estes Sky Hook was made with a B motor, and the thing went nearly out of sight. It drifted in the wind during descent (winds aloft v.s. winds at ground level was something beyond my comprehension back then) and went into a nearby neighborhood----never did find it.

Be careful with yours.

I have an original Astron version in the bag - don't know if I should open it and build it (header card is rather poor) or just get the Semroc version and pick up a Laser-X while I'm at it. But I will build one, either way.....

Originally posted by Fore Check
I have an original Astron version in the bag - don't know if I should open it and build it (header card is rather poor) or just get the Semroc version and pick up a Laser-X while I'm at it. But I will build one, either way.....

Mind if I make a suggestion? Buy a Semroc Sky Hook, and built both of them! :D I wonder if Papa Tango can make the decals Estes used for the Sky Hook in the 1980's? It was my brother's first kit and it was a beauty. I always wanted one for myself. I wasn't around for the Laser-X, but boy howdy, I'm glad it's back!

Originally posted by eugenefl
Very nice! :) Just curious, but are the black stripes a decal wrap or are they painted on?

They were painted. I got lucky and got the tape in exactly the place I wanted it in only two tries. It would probably be easy with striping tape also.

I've got a Sky Hook also, as well as a Micron and a Hydra 7. Yeah, the laser cut fins are very nice feature (especially on the Hydra, it has 21 total!:eek: ).

Back