Semroc Scissor-Wing Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, hopefully they have enough product to make up some more of the kits.
Thanks buddy! Don't know where that 1 kit came from when it was showing "Out of Stock" but I nabbed it last night. It's on its way. This one won't sit in the build pile, I'm really looking forward to starting on it as soon as it arrives. :p

Currently (2) in stock of the scissor wing transport at eRockets as of 2232 January 27, 2022.

Wow, they're really flying off the shelves. Currently it's "Sorry, Out of Stock" again as of 9:45am 1/28/22. Good for them. :eek:
At $46 a kit I figured it would be a slower seller, but a good quality old school kit is what everyone is looking forward to. I applaud eRockets for making it available.

It seems they did make up a few more... and sold out almost instantly.

Of note, the Orion is back in stock! 8 left, as of this morning.
I noticed they have several different Semroc kits in stock now that had been out for a long time. Very cool.

I grabbed one as it rolled off the assembly line. Well, more accurately, during our Tuesday night meeting Randy asked who wanted one and I said that I did. Randy went back and grabbed one for me and one for another guy. They were put into stock by the time I walked into Randy's office and paid for it.

I did this quick sketch of a scratch-built scissor wing-type rocket I have been thinking about. It will functionally be the same as the Estes version, but based on a BT-55.

Gotta clear a couple of back log projects first, but planning on starting it soon. Shold probably build the Semroc version as a refresher...

1643783101352.png

I grabbed one as it rolled off the assembly line. Well, more accurately, during our Tuesday night meeting Randy asked who wanted one and I said that I did. Randy went back and grabbed one for me and one for another guy. They were put into stock by the time I walked into Randy's office and paid for it.
My kit should be here today, anxiously waiting! :p

Was it still warm..? :)

May I ask you for a build thread?
Please?
Absolutely. Might be a slight delay though, my box arrived looking like it had been under a pile of heavier boxes and the main tube got bent enough to cause some concern about whether the motor tube will be able to eject at apogee. Emailed Randy since I got a "This mailbox is currently not accepting messages because the mailbox has not been set up" message.

IMG_7623.JPG

No spare Semroc tubes? I bought some of them for a stash back in Carl's day. Hope you can get a replacement fast.

A true unboxing to build thread must show things in steps posted at least a day a part. For example you should next show the box opened with packing mostly only visible. And then say "After opening the box, I had a Beer" Next day show photo of the tube and say; "After I had the beer, I discovered the tube was damaged, so I had to have a Shot and A Beer"

I still regret my Mongoose Unboxing thread got lost with the TRF server crash never to be seen again.

Things noted on initial inspection: Lots of parts. Well-documented instructions. Streamer instead of 'chute, balsa NC instead of plastic, nicely reengineered pivot plate assembly, laser printed water slide decals (bit scuffed, may just scan and reprint them on my inkjet) and a 1/2" dia. dental band instead of the original #8 tan rubber band. Really going to enjoy this build.

parts sheet001.jpg

Attachments

• parts xploded002.jpg
    parts xploded002.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 24
Randy came through. Just got an email from him saying he'll replace the body tube gratis (even though USPS caused the damage and he isn't insured for shipping mishandling like this). Straight up guy and the major reason I continue to patronize eRockets. That and the fact that eRockets is a gold mine for OEM replacement parts that no one else stocks, as well as reproduction kits like the Scissor Wing.

I did this quick sketch of a scratch-built scissor wing-type rocket I have been thinking about. It will functionally be the same as the Estes version, but based on a BT-55.

Gotta clear a couple of back log projects first, but planning on starting it soon. Shold probably build the Semroc version as a refresher...

View attachment 502721
Kit this or else!!!!!!

[EDIT:] Apologies, this was posted to the wrong thread. It should've been posted to the build thread here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/semroc-scissor-wing-transport-kit.170875/#post-2240573 😬

Something I should have mentioned earlier: the motor tube marking template didn’t quite reach all the way around the motor tube. It was short by about 1/8”, so the spacing for the fins, dowel mount and engine hook were off by that same amount. I’d suggest you make your own if you find yourself in the same situation. (Easily done. Go here: https://www.apogeerockets.com/Advanced_Construction_Videos/Rocketry_Video_75
for an Apogee Rockets video on how to do so using Inkscape, Illustrator, or a similar vector program).

Moving on. One of the nice changes in the Semroc/eRockets kit is that fragile components or ones that are tiny or that are at risk of breakage during deployment or landing are laser cut out of sturdier basswood.

IMG_7742.JPG

Instructions have you next attach the basswood fin stiffeners to the fins that will be glued to the motor tube. In my case, the fit of the tabs into the slots was too tight and I had to do some sanding with a small file to make them fit. The stiffeners are tiny and would easily be broken during handling if they were made of balsa. Take your time here and sand carefully if you find you have the same problem.

IMG_7735.JPG

Since these two fins will be attached to the motor tube (which will be ejected at apogee) a rough landing could easily damage them, so I appreciate that the kit provides basswood ones.

IMG_7740.JPG

One thing to keep in mind: the stiffeners should be attached so that the fins are mirror images of each other. There’s a reason for that. They’re like the wings on a glider — you don’t want to end up with two right or two left wings. Once glued on to the motor tube, the stiffeners will both have to be on the same side of the fins, facing each other.

IMG_7744.JPG

To be continued…

Last edited:
It seems they did make up a few more... and sold out almost instantly.

Of note, the Orion is back in stock! 8 left, as of this morning.

Thanks for the info on the Orion being available. :)

I ordered an SWT and Orion. Both arrived yesterday.
Semroc SWT & Orion 2022.jpgSemroc SWT & Orion 2022.jpg

Back