Semroc Saturn Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTRockets

Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing the Semroc Saturn kit and also noticed that Dr. Zooch also offers a similar kit. Can anyone recommend one or the other? Or I could buy both.:) once you get the rocketry bug you want all the kits.

Both are good kits and require a fair amount of skill to assemble, but are VERY different in size, and somewhat different building styles. The Zooch kit is small(12 inches or so?) and flies on a single 18mm motor. I'm not sure of the scale, but he refers to it as "ant scale". Detailed paper "wraps" aid in much of the finishing on a smaller scale like this. Rolling your own LOX tanks and building and escape tower make this challenging, but still easier to build than the Semroc kit. Good looking,good performing, scale-like flyer.

The Semroc Saturn is 1/70th scale and dwarfs the Zooch kit. It flies on a cluster of 4 x 18mm or a single 24mm motor. It is a close reproduction of the original Estes kit. Paper shrouds, built up fins(optional), escape tower, and paint masking can make this model extremely challenging but the finished result can be quite impressive.

The Zooch line is really a remarkable optical illusion--great scale-like detail for very little money and can typically be built over a weekend. The instructions, on their own, are also fun/entertaining.

The Semroc is probably the best overall bang for the buck, about double the cost of the Zooch line, but bigger and more detail, though since it's a replica of the Estes model, not the actual Saturn rocket, it there are some accuracy issues.

My personal preference is the Semroc, but to each his own. If you want either a "rare" version (Zooch kits some versions that have never been available anywhere else) or a good entry level scale-like kit, go for the Zooch. If you are into the appeal of a cluster or mid-power motor, or want a larger/more detailed model, or maybe just a more challenging winter project, go for the Semroc. Sounds like you've already figured out, though, the best choice is always not choosing and getting both.

One big factor to consider--are you up to the challenge of masking/painting roll patterns over ribbed surfaces? If so, Semroc, if not, Zooch (preprinted wraps).

Further complexity, though--have you looked at the Saturn Press (Peter Alway) Saturn V? A little less money than the Semroc, a little larger size than the Zooch, pretty good detail and somewhere between the two in terms of total effort.

Yeah, I was looking for something a little challenging for the winter months. I usually like a larger model to take my time with. I havent checked out the Saturn Press yet. I will make sure to do that.

Semroc is the way to go, plenty of project to keep you busy for the winter. I just started mine and it's an excellent kit. The Zooch kit is also a fine product that takes away the painting with printed wraps.

I have both and have yet to build either.

I got the Semroc kit first, very early on with my eyes wanting it badly. Fortunately for me, the part of my brain kicked in which said, "you're not ready for this yet."

I got the Zooch kit later was was intimidated by it as well but not nearly to the same extent.

I've built kits from both companies and both have been first rate. Both have also helped me out when I've goofed. I think it comes down to whether you want big (Semroc) or little (Zooch) and whether you want challenging but doable (Zooch) or very challenging but doable (Semroc). Based upon what you've said, I would think the Semroc kit is what you're looking for. Both, however, are excellent.

I have built the Zooch kit and it was a fun build! I also have the SEMROC Saturn 1B in my kit room, for when I 'get around to it'..Both kits have their challenges..The SEMROC one is in building the LES tower and the Zooch one in constructing the paper nozzles and fin fairings..

Here is my Zooch Saturn V shortly after completing it..Has flown a number of times on C6-5's all to great flights!
SaturnV042_sm.jpg

I would vote for the Semroc Saturn 1B. While it is a challenge, it is very impressive. This one has a few extra details (like a CM wrap and LEM Shroud wraps)....

Copy of IMG_1422.JPG

Get all three: Semroc's Saturn 1B, and Dr Zooch's Saturn V and Saturn 1B. I have built the 1B and the V from Dr Z and they are great to build. They may be "scale like" but the "like" is pretty convincing. A challenge on their own and they always get the attention of the crowd. A shame we lost the thread on these rockets: they were full of great advice and pictures. If you build Dr Zs rockets make sure you start a build thread and post pictures.

As for Semroc's Saturn 1B, I have one still in the box. I have not found the courage to start it. I built one of the capsules for display and did the tower with styrene rods. It turned out very strong. Like others say, the hardest parts seem to be the assembly of the tower and all the masking that it requires. I have seen a few built buy others here in the forum and it is an impressive rocket once it is put together. If you want to see great pictures of a recently sold Semroc Saturn 1B on Ebay, go here.

I think I will buy both the Semroc and Zooch kits. I am looking for a challenge and I will make sure to post pics as I am building them. I dont always look for a challenge in building kits. I like the quick builds like Estes Alpha dn Quest Astra. Both great little rockets and quite nice to look at when done but a great challenge in the cold winter months just seemed appropriate. I am putting in my order today:D

I have had my Semroc Saturn 1B kit for almost 2 yrs,but haven't started on it because after reading the instructions(Very detailed) I decided to wait until I had no other projects. I really want to take my time on this one,I may enter it in our club scale competition for NAR points. It would be great if you post build pics, I may have to use them for reference,LOL. Good Luck on the build.

I think I will buy both the Semroc and Zooch kits. I am looking for a challenge and I will make sure to post pics as I am building them. I dont always look for a challenge in building kits. I like the quick builds like Estes Alpha dn Quest Astra. Both great little rockets and quite nice to look at when done but a great challenge in the cold winter months just seemed appropriate. I am putting in my order today:D

You won't regret that decision. I still have a little ways to go on my Semroc Saturn, but here are a couple of my Zooch Saturns....

Zooch-IB.jpg

Zooch-Saturn-V-natural-ligh.jpg

Both are good kits and require a fair amount of skill to assemble, but are VERY different in size, and somewhat different building styles. The Zooch kit is small(12 inches or so?) and flies on a single 18mm motor. I'm not sure of the scale, but he refers to it as "ant scale". Detailed paper "wraps" aid in much of the finishing on a smaller scale like this. Rolling your own LOX tanks and building and escape tower make this challenging, but still easier to build than the Semroc kit. Good looking,good performing, scale-like flyer.

The Semroc Saturn is 1/70th scale and dwarfs the Zooch kit. It flies on a cluster of 4 x 18mm or a single 24mm motor. It is a close reproduction of the original Estes kit. Paper shrouds, built up fins(optional), escape tower, and paint masking can make this model extremely challenging but the finished result can be quite impressive.

The Zooch Saturn IB's are *roughly* 1/150 scale... I've got one but haven't started it yet. Actually I have the Saturn I Block II and the Saturn IB.

What I like about the 1/150 scale is that it just works out that a Saturn V based on a BT-80 for the first two stages works out to 1/150 scale... in ant scale terms anyway... :)

Too bad the Zooch Saturn V is BT-60... :( Oh well, I smell a scratchbuild coming on... :)

The Semroc is a 1/70th, like the old Estes Saturn IB... too bad they don't offer a 1/100 version...

Hope this helps and have a good one! OL JR :)

The Semroc Saturn 1B is a GREAT kit. Very challenging, but also very worthwhile. You will have an absolutely AWESOME rocket when you are done. 'Nuff said.

I do not have the Dr. Zooch Saturn V kit (yet), but what Wes wrote about the Estes K-39 Semi-Scale Saturn V on his web page for his version EXACTLY captured my experience with that old kit, too. It was like he tapped into the part of my brain where my memories of 1970 are stored, and pulled that one out. (Man, how did you do that?:confused: ) Anyway, I hope to get his version sometime soon, along with many more of his kits. :)

Mark \\.

I bought both yesterday. Like I said I will take pictures of the building process and post them here. Im really looking forward to it.

I do not have the Dr. Zooch Saturn V kit (yet), but what Wes wrote about the Estes K-39 Semi-Scale Saturn V on his web page for his version EXACTLY captured my experience with that old kit, too. It was like he tapped into the part of my brain where my memories of 1970 are stored, and pulled that one out. (Man, how did you do that?:confused: ) Anyway, I hope to get his version sometime soon, along with many more of his kits. :)

Mark \\.

Actually- I didn't have to go into your brain- because we both had the exact same experience with the K-39... as did many others in 1970... mine was June 14th, or so it says in my notes from that day. We were all punching holes in the sky with the same rockets it seems.

Okay... now back into your brain... Whoa!... who's that blond from the 10th grade? ;)

I've built and flown all of the Dr Zooch Saturns, also the Semroc Saturn 1b. The Apogee Saturn 1b is also in my fleet but no desire to fly it. May build a second Semroc with four-engine cluster in Skylab markings.

The Semroc Saturn IB has the option of card fins and balsa fins. The Apollo capsule/LES takes almost as long to build as the rest of the rocket IMHO.

English class... mine was the one in homeroom... GET OUT OF MY BRAIN! :eek:

Back on-topic...

FYI- to everyone here- Thank you VERY much for the good words here. It is really rewarding to produce a product that people actually like and have fun with. Way better than airline piloting. When I have a bazillion boxes yawning up at me and I'm dropping the parts into them late at night I always tell myself "Someone's gonna have fun with this." as I do each one. Then I turn around and send most of the money to BMS and think- "He's gonna have fun too." I, personally, am really happy there are lots of different Saturn kits out there- there is room for everyone in this party- the more, the better! Keep building and flying folks... especially flying... I mean, fly your Dr.Zooch rockets a lot... every day... no matter what the weather... and even if there are tall trees nearby... just go right out and fly... excuse me now while I put together your replacement kits :rolleyes:

I LOVE MY ZOOCH Saturn V

the one thing i did though was to pin the engine nozzle on with a bit of wood dowling through the base engine engine mount plate. Mine just kept falling off otherwise, probably more to my handling and care.

Anyone know a release date on the semroc Saturn V though?

I LOVE MY ZOOCH Saturn V

the one thing i did though was to pin the engine nozzle on with a bit of wood dowling through the base engine engine mount plate. Mine just kept falling off otherwise, probably more to my handling and care.

Actually that's how the engine bells are attached in the upcoming Ares V kit too. So you're right on track.

I still have the build pics from my Dr. Zooch Sat 1B. I'll try to discribe as I go....

Start with the motor mount and tube mount. The tank tubes go between the innermost black CRs

DSCN9875.JPG

Then you have to roll the tanks. I came up with this to hold the seam while the glue dries. In the background, you can see the MMT painted black to blend between the tanks.

tubetip.jpg

I used this cool thing to strip the balsa for between the tanks.
strippernoglitter.jpg

Finally, you glue the tanks in with the aid of the bodytubes
tubes.jpg

Next I tried filling the balsa with this light weight filler. Worked great and gave an awesome finish, but it was too soft..... dinged up on the first flight.
DSCN9889.JPG

Here it is with the basic construction complete
DSCN9940.JPG

Before adding the wraps, I take an ACID FREE MARKER * and edge teh seam. I tends to make it blend in an not have the white background showing. Disclaimer....don't do this unless you know what the ink will do over time and clear coats.......
markertip.jpg

Last edited:
This shows the BT edge with the marker applied. I think it is better than having a "white" edge to the BT
markertip2.jpg

Next comes the Command Module. I used Bare Metal Foil on the CM bodytube. Then added different wraps to detail.
CM.jpg

Basically followed the instructions to complete the tower. The wire cross braces were a little painful......:eek: but not bad.

CMclose.jpg

I started my engine bells by building the wraps per the instructions....well, I did just about everything by the insturctions, but anyway.... You have to anchor the line on the wrap and let the glue dry.
DSCN0028.JPG

Then I take the line and soak it in "Kicker". At that point, I put a little drop of CA on the engine bell and start wrapping the line around. Once the line touches, it is stuck. You don't have to worry about it moving. Oh, you do have to worry about it going on crooked......but, go slow and it is fine. Once you get all of the line on, go back and soak the whole thing in thin CA.
belltip.jpg

This is what it looks like finished:D
Finished.jpg

Wow! Yours looks way better than mine... except for Walt Cunningham's autograph! HA! :D

Seriously- however- I've seen yours in person, and it is WAY better than mine. Nicely done!

zas201trf.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking of purchasing the Semroc Saturn kit and also noticed that Dr. Zooch also offers a similar kit. Can anyone recommend one or the other? Or I could buy both.:) once you get the rocketry bug you want all the kits.

Yep, I've got the bug, but it seems like I'm doing way more collecting these days, and a lot less building (a common theme for many).

I've got several Estes Vs and 1Bs, the Apogee 1B, the Semroc 1B, and will break with tradition and get a Dr. Zooch Saturn 1, SA-5. I've always loved the looks of this rocket, and was amused the first time I saw the Dr. Zooch site, and the reference to it being the coolest rocket ever flown. A few years back I was in Michigan, visited Peter Alway, held his scratch built SA-5 (on the cover of The Art of Scale Model Rocketry), and became totally obsessed with planning the build of one. The Dr. Zooch kit is my next Saturn buy, for sure.

Last edited:
Seriously- however- I've seen yours in person, and it is WAY better than mine. Nicely done!

Thanks Wes.

I have to say, that the Dr. Zooch kits are absolutely the best way to get started in Scale building. The kits are relatively easy to build and the make a beautiful rocket that flies perfectly when done. They have the right proportions and give you a good feel for the real rocket when done. The price is right as well. Also, they are just plan fun to have as part of the fleet. I've flown all of my Dr. Zooch kits at least a dozen times and except for the time I tired the Titan on an "A", all fly great (Never saw Zog run so fast.....:eek:). Did you know the parachute will still deploy in the ground…….:eek:

Zooch when are you going to put out your LUT for all the Saturn V that have gone out all these years to be desplayed on?

Back