Semroc Saturn 1B

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice. I started my Semroc 1B and can't decide what motor config to go with. I really do like the cluster layout, but at the same time I like the 24mm reloads.

Can anybody tell me about the performance of the 24mm reloads vs the c6X4 cluster?

Last edited:
Hi John, here's mine. I built it as the 4 engine cluster, partially because that's the way the old Estes Saturn 1B was, and to avenge the disastrous flight of mine when I was 15 (only 2 engines lit, both on the same side). Clusters can be tricky, but you minimize (note I didn't say eliminate) the risk by using a good launcher, a 12 volt battery, clip whips, and cherry-pick your igniters. The single 24mm is more reliable, but there's nothing like seeing those 4 flames coming out of the bottom of your rocket.:D

Good luck,
Dennis

saturn1b.jpg

It's a tough choice, but I'm going with the single 24mm mount. I really want to use the reloads with this rocket. I do like clusters however....

Antoher question for you guys in regards to paint. I've been looking at a lot of pictures and I can't really tell if they used semi-gloss, or flat paint. In some pictures they look glossy, in others the paint looks flat.

Can anbody help me with this question?

Antoher question for you guys in regards to paint. I've been looking at a lot of pictures and I can't really tell if they used semi-gloss, or flat paint. In some pictures they look glossy, in others the paint looks flat.

Can anbody help me with this question?

Although not the SEMROC kit (but the original Estes K-29 vintage model using the Apogee Apollo Capsule kit) I used gloss paint; the decals will set better.
I've almost finished the model; only got the decals to do and it's done (been
working on this bird since our Christmas Break 2008).....

Attachments

• Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build.jpg
    Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 38
Hi John, like Dave, I used glossy paint for the decals and coated it with Future after they were dry. I don't know if the full scale rocket was flat or gloss. I want to say flat but don't know for sure.

Nice Saturn Dave!

Dennis

I'll post some pictures of the build tomorrow. So far so good,and Semroc really put together an excellent kit. I'm sort of going out of sequence since I want to get some painting done in sections. I'm building most of the upper half, and will paint the tanks before installing them.

Hi John, like Dave, I used glossy paint for the decals and coated it with Future after they were dry. I don't know if the full scale rocket was flat or gloss. I want to say flat but don't know for sure.

Nice Saturn Dave!

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis! Just finished with the "larger" decals and some of the markings. Have a few more of the "smaller" decals and the model is just about
done.

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 003.jpg

I'm not sure about which type of paint is better for applying decals, but i think flat paint looks better on the rockets. My Saturn 1B was done in flat/matte, while my Saturn V was done with a much more glossy paint. The Saturn V reflects lights a lot more, looks much more glossy, and less realistic than my Saturn 1B.

Maybe i wouldn't have noticed had i painted both rockets with the same type of paint...

Bob

I'm not sure about which type of paint is better for applying decals, but i think flat paint looks better on the rockets. My Saturn 1B was done in flat/matte, while my Saturn V was done with a much more glossy paint. The Saturn V reflects lights a lot more, looks much more glossy, and less realistic than my Saturn 1B.

Maybe i wouldn't have noticed had i painted both rockets with the same type of paint...

Bob

Do a compatibility test just to make sure, then shoot it with Testor's dullcoat (there are other dullcoats out there too) That will take the shine off it and make it look a lot better. OL JR :)

First couple pictures of the easy mod I made to the top star. I added some 1/8" stock to the top of the start to space the lower CR. Instead of having to mark each of the eight tanks with an 1/8" mark this will make sure they are all aligned/even.
S1B_UpperStarMod.jpg

S1B_UpperStarandBT100CR.jpg

These are just some general pictures of the progress I made last night. The tanks have been primed with two coats. I'm planning on having the tanks completely painted before installing them. The capsule is the one from Apogee which is also totally awesome. This is a great building project.

S1B_StufferTubeandTanks.jpg

S1B_ChuteTubeandShockCord.jpg

S1B_UpperBT100Installed.jpg

Definitely do a compatibility test, especially if you use Future. I found out first had that Future and Testors Dullcote don't play well together. The result simulated alligator skin fairly closely in texture. :mad:

And as far as "cherry picking" igniters, I just look at them and try to find 4 or however many you need that look pretty much the same and have the same amount of pyrogen on the tips (I'm speaking of Estes type igniters). I try to stay away from the ones that look like some of the tip is broken off or missing. To go a bit further, get or borrow a multi meter and check the continuity of each one before inserting it and wiring it together with the others. I've had more than one that was broken inside the pyrogen and nothing happens when you push the button. Fortunately I didn't find this out when launching a cluster model. Then just be careful when you insert them, make sure the tip touches the propellant and gently (but firmly) insert the plug. You could even check the continuity of each one AFTER you insert them into the engines just to make sure you didn't break one while putting it in.

Then get someone else to wire them up for you so you can blame them if it doesn't work. ;) j/k

Dennis

My second Semroc Saturn 1B may be constructed with the 4-motor cluster. Possibly fly it on two C6-3s as an original was shown in Sport Rocketry recently.

This picture is of the newly installed upper transition. I had no issues with building the transition piece, or installing it on the rocket. I didn't follow the instructions exactly because I found it easier to install the transition bulkhead on the rocket first. Then I slid the transition down the parachute tube where it joined the BT100.

S1BUpperTransition.jpg

I also cut out the (8) fin covers, and folded/creased them per the instructions. The built up fins have a lot of small pieces, but I'm looking forward to building them.

S1BFinCovers.jpg

Last edited:
This picture is of the newly installed upper transition. I had no issues with building the transition piece, or installing it on the rocket. I didn't follow the instructions exactly because I found it easier to install the transition bulkhead on the rocket first. Then I slid the transition down the parachute tube where it joined the BT100.

S1BUpperTransition.jpg

I also cut out the (8) fin covers, and folded/creased them per the instructions. The built up fins have a lot of small pieces, but I'm looking forward to building them.

S1BFinCovers.jpg

Cannot see the pictures.

It looks great, Dave. What did you use on the Service Module to get that metallic look?

It looks great, Dave. What did you use on the Service Module to get that metallic look?

Same thing I used on the SEMROC Saturn 1-B build last Fall for the Apollo - 7
Celebration; chrome monokote adhesive from BMS. Also used it on my Estes
K-36 Saturn - V Service Module not too long ago :D.

S1BUpperTransition.jpg

S1BFinCovers.jpg
Hi John,
Your photos are showing a great build. I see real craftsmanship in how you are doing this. Please post more photos :) I really like the way this kit goes together.
Cheers
fred

Same thing I used on the SEMROC Saturn 1-B build last Fall for the Apollo - 7
Celebration; chrome monokote adhesive from BMS. Also used it on my Estes
K-36 Saturn - V Service Module not too long ago :D.

It looks great. Parden my newbieness. But, where or who is BMS?

I've got a Semroc 1B still in the box, awaiting my completion of a bathroom remodeling project.

I'm looking forward to seeing this at an upcoming launch. I've been staring at my box for well over a year but just not ready to build it yet. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for but I'm sure that moment will come. It will be nice to review your build pictures before proceeding.

These are just some general pictures of the progress I made last night. The tanks have been primed with two coats. I'm planning on having the tanks completely painted before installing them. The capsule is the one from Apogee which is also totally awesome. This is a great building project.

S1B_StufferTubeandTanks.jpg

S1B_ChuteTubeandShockCord.jpg

S1B_UpperBT100Installed.jpg

Ok, you stink!!! :D Having such a nice, clean, organized workshop, with decals on the doors even... :cool:

How can you get ANYTHING done in there??;)

Have a good one! OL JR

Ok, got more stuff done on my vintage Estes K-29 model tonight; made the
"flight" version dummy nozzles that will be used when my Saturn 1-B takes to
the air.

Pics below: First shows the two interchangable nozzle sections (flight & display). I painted the four flight version nozzles steel/silver as I'm sure they'll get some exhaust debris from the four engine cluster during flight (can
always repaint them as needed).

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 001.jpg

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 002.jpg

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 003.jpg

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 004.jpg

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 005.jpg

Dave how many engines were on the real one and do you think it could be done? Your build by the way it's usual museum quality standard :)
Cheers
fred

Back