Semroc Saturn 1B Flight Pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbzep

Reaction score
I know I haven't posted much here on the new TRF, so I'll keep this brief and get back out of the way. This is my son's Semroc Saturn 1B on it's maiden flight. He built it with a removable motor mount and popped in a single D12-3 to keep things simple the first time up. (Cluster photos in post #7)

Last edited:
Thanks, and you're welcome. :) We just came in from a cluster flight. I'll post a few of those later. :cool:

Last edited:
Awesome! I have been wondering what one of these models looked like in flight. (I haven't built mine yet.) Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing the cluster launch pics.

MarkII

BTW, here's our new wallpaper at 1920x1080. I rotated, cropped, and resized to make it fit corner to corner on the screen, and also to look like a real Saturn headed downrange (east) off the coast....ignoring that the sun looks a little too far south.

These pics are just further proof of something I said a little while back:

The Semroc Saturn 1B is one beautiful rocket!

MarkII

Thank you for posting those pictures. Your son did a beautiful job. Though we have been working hard on the Saturn V, the 1B is my favorite of all we have done so far.

Sheryl@semroc

Thank you for posting those pictures. Your son did a beautiful job. Though we have been working hard on the Saturn V, the 1B is my favorite of all we have done so far.

Sheryl@semroc

Thanks. My son and I were discussing that last night. I agree with you that the the Saturn 1B (SA-205 round with B&W tanks) just has a coolness factor that the V doesn't have once you take away the physical size and moon mission advantages of the V.

Loved the pictures and wish I was there personally. Thanks for the Desktop pic.

The same desktop pic, edited to fit on a 1280 x 1024 pixel screen (8 x 5 ratio). This is such a cool picture, and your son did a great job of building and detailing it. (I'm envious :eek: ). Those three orange jets coming out of the aft end are too much. I keep switching back to my desktop, because I can't get enough of that pic. Thanks!

Oh, yeah, I keep meaning to ask - what method did he use to build the escape tower?

MarkII

SaturnCluster Desktop2.jpg

Last edited:
The same desktop pic, edited to fit on a 1280 x 1024 pixel screen (8 x 5 ratio). This is such a cool picture, and your son did a great job of building and detailing it. (I'm envious :eek: ). Those three orange jets coming out of the aft end are too much. I keep switching back to my desktop, because I can't get enough of that pic. Thanks!

Oh, yeah, I keep meaning to ask - what method did he use to build the escape tower?

MarkII

I'll have to ask him. I know he used the T-pins to build sub assemblies. I saw the SEMROC jig laying around, but I don't know if he used it or pinned the sub assemblies like I did when I made the 1/100 towers.

Well done on the photos and rocket:) Its a great kit that you did extremely well with:)
:cheers:
Fred

Thanks, Fred.

Mark, I haven't forgotten your question. I'm away from home for a work seminar and I haven't talked to Kody about the tower. I'm surprised he hasn't seen the post and answered himself. I'll ask him when I get home.

MarkII

Well, I followed the instructions very closely and only changed a step or two. Instead of using a sanding block to sand the dowels, I chucked the dowels up in a cordless drill and spun it while pinching it with a piece of sandpaper.

For assembly, I pinned the four vertical struts as instructed and then pinned and glued the horizontal and diagonal struts in the same manner.

Now that makes two of the four sides of the tower. I inserted the two sides in an assembly jig supplied with the kit. The graphic in the instructions make it appear like you are supposed to glue the remaining horizontal and diagonal struts together and then glue them to the vertical struts; however, I glued them individually to the vertical struts. I assembled the V-struts as instructed in the kit.

That's pretty much it. I hope I wasn't too vague.

How high up did the 1b go with the d12-3??I have the semroc kit built and don't know if I should do its 1st launch it with the d12-3 or aero tech e-15. Thanks and great pictures. John

How high up did the 1b go with the d12-3??I have the semroc kit built and don't know if I should do its 1st launch it with the d12-3 or aero tech e-15. Thanks and great pictures. John

Not high at all. The model weight in considerably heavier than a stock 1B with the interchangable motor mount and nose weight he added. If you've seen a stock built Estes or Centuri Saturn V on a D12-3, it was similar. It's been a long time since I've flown my Centuri Saturn V, but I'd guess that the Saturn 1B flew about 80% as high, maybe a hair more.

You really need to fly it on the D12-3 at least on the first flight or two. It will give you a great opportunity to watch the flight up close and personal, and photographing the flight will be much easier.

Wow, great pics. Nice job on the build Intruder. Lots of folk are sketchy on doing the interchangeable mount, but it's not really that difficult once you get going. I'm determined to get my Saturn 1B completed before NARAM....we'll see. How much nose weight was added?

Wow, great pics. Nice job on the build Intruder. Lots of folk are sketchy on doing the interchangeable mount, but it's not really that difficult once you get going. I'm determined to get my Saturn 1B completed before NARAM....we'll see. How much nose weight was added?

.7 oz worth of quick link and washers. Looking at the rocksim screen shots of a stock Saturn 1b (provided by rocketguy101 on YORF) the nose weight wasn't necessary, but I'll keep it on for insurance.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've seen one fly that was modded like this without the nose weight. So, Rocksim must be on the right track. I'm still debating adding the nose weight. Won't be much if I do....maybe 1/4 oz or something. Thanks for posting the rocksim capture though, it's aiding my decision and confirming what I saw in person.

I normally use the TLAR/TFAR technique for designing, prepping, and building rockets, but this was my son's and I was a little paranoid about it. Ok, a little more than paranoid, especially after Carl wouldn't release the kit with an interchangable mount due potential CP/CG issues.

We flew it before Rocketguy101 replied with the Rocsim data, so I grabbed the quicklink and washers and hefted them a couple of times in my hand, once again using the trusty TFLR technique to determine it was the correct weight. After seeing the Rocsim data, I have concluded that I must have had my internal TFAR equipment calibrated for ballasting a 4 motor cluster instead of the single or triple cluster flights we made that day. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

BTW, here's our new wallpaper at 1920x1080. I rotated, cropped, and resized to make it fit corner to corner on the screen, and also to look like a real Saturn headed downrange (east) off the coast....ignoring that the sun looks a little too far south.

NICE!

You take great photos.
Camera?

I've seen one fly that was modded like this without the nose weight. So, Rocksim must be on the right track. I'm still debating adding the nose weight. Won't be much if I do....maybe 1/4 oz or something. Thanks for posting the rocksim capture though, it's aiding my decision and confirming what I saw in person.

I ran the Apogee 1/70th Saturn 1B for a comparison to the Estes bird I modeled...there is nearly 3 inches difference in the CP location, I think the difference is the oversize fins for the Estes model.

Apogee_Saturn_1B.jpg

I normally use the TLAR/TFAR technique for designing, prepping, and building rockets, but this was my son's and I was a little paranoid about it. Ok, a little more than paranoid, especially after Carl wouldn't release the kit with an interchangable mount due potential CP/CG issues.

We flew it before Rocketguy101 replied with the Rocsim data, so I grabbed the quicklink and washers and hefted them a couple of times in my hand, once again using the trusty TFLR technique to determine it was the correct weight. After seeing the Rocsim data, I have concluded that I must have had my internal TFAR equipment calibrated for ballasting a 4 motor cluster instead of the single or triple cluster flights we made that day. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

I would have probably done the same had it not been confirmed with the sim. Better safe than sorry.:)

Back