Semroc Saturn 1B arrives!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyGreen

Reaction score
Got a small box today, with a teeny box inside, and inside of that, is the Semroc Saturn 1B!!!

I'm at work now, so I can't give an extensive report, but it looks great! Pretty much just like the Estes IB I built 30 years ago, but with some obvious improvements like the laser cut parts, and MUCH better embossed paper wraps!

Some of you might wonder about the engine mount. It is NOT convertable (though the instructions invite you to do it if you think you can). You build it either for four C motors, or one D.
As Carl has already mentioned somewhere, you can build up the fins (as in the Estes kit) or you can use 1/8" balsa fins provided.

I'm going to build this model fast, so I'll probably use the 1/8" fins, and use the included built up fins to replace the missing and broken ones on my Estes bird. I'll stick with the four engine cluster too.

MODERATORS: I put this under Vendors since it is sort of a review/preview. Feel free to put this somewhere else.

I inherited one of the Estes 1Bs a while ago and it was missing the nose. I inserted an NC-70 and flew it several times with the cluster of 4 motors. It hauls.

Depending on the liftoff weight, I agree with the use of C6-5 motors and not C6-3 motors.

Originally posted by RoyGreen
Got a small box today, with a teeny box inside, and inside of that, is the Semroc Saturn 1B!!!

I'm at work now, so I can't give an extensive report, but it looks great! Pretty much just like the Estes IB I built 30 years ago, but with some obvious improvements like the laser cut parts, and MUCH better embossed paper wraps!

Some of you might wonder about the engine mount. It is NOT convertable (though the instructions invite you to do it if you think you can). You build it either for four C motors, or one D.
As Carl has already mentioned somewhere, you can build up the fins (as in the Estes kit) or you can use 1/8" balsa fins provided.

I'm going to build this model fast, so I'll probably use the 1/8" fins, and use the included built up fins to replace the missing and broken ones on my Estes bird. I'll stick with the four engine cluster too.

I ordered mine on Monday and it was here today!!!

This is a true builders kit. The attention to detail that Semroc has put into this kit is amazing. There are many many detail parts, too many to list really.

This is an extremely professionally made kit. Every aspect of this kit shows the pride that Semroc obviously takes in it's work, from fit and finish to attention to detail.

I can't believe that they can afford to even make this kit for what they sell it for! It's more than worth every penny!

I gotta go get started...

Here are a few that I took after opening the package. However be advised that these pictures don't show all parts. There are wraps, cut-outs, and a whole capsule packet just including capsule components.

One more Exploded View from instruction manual.

Sorry I added a k at the end of the first two pic names. It's of course Semroc.

Originally posted by shreadvector
I inherited one of the Estes 1Bs a while ago and it was missing the nose. I inserted an NC-70 and flew it several times with the cluster of 4 motors. It hauls.

Depending on the liftoff weight, I agree with the use of C6-5 motors and not C6-3 motors.

The original Estes 1/70 Saturn 1-B listed for flight as: 4/A8-3,
4/B6-4 and 4/C6-5.

Originally posted by dwmzmm
The original Estes 1/70 Saturn 1-B listed for flight as: 4/A8-3,
4/B6-4 and 4/C6-5.

Go a couple of years further back (1967) and you'll see it used

4/A.8-3 and 4/B.8-4 (no C's with delays, since the inside diameter of the motors back then was only .4")

This was roughly equivalent to flying with "modern" A5-2's (wish we still had those for other reasons) or current B4-4s.

Wow. That looks like an incredible kit! The fin and shroud pattern sheet looks just like the Estes original.

BTW, what are those smaller fins for on the balsa sheets with the main fins?

Drew

Originally posted by dtomko
Wow. That looks like an incredible kit! The fin and shroud pattern sheet looks just like the Estes original.

BTW, what are those smaller fins for on the balsa sheets with the main fins?

Drew

That;s an innovationn of Carl's. Those fins mount between the fuel tubes under that scalloped shroud to give some support to the points of the shroud.

jim

Originally posted by jflis
That;s an innovationn of Carl's. Those fins mount between the fuel tubes under that scalloped shroud to give some support to the points of the shroud.

jim

Good idea.

I ordered one last night, can't wait. Not sure how the reserve deal works. I emailed about a month ago through the website asking to reserve a Sat1B kit, but got no reply. I then tried the reserve@semroc email address, but the email address could not resolve and was returned. I called about 2-3 weeks ago and left a message asking for a reserve kit and an approximate release date, but never got a return call. Not sure if I'm on the list or not, or if there was a cut off at some point? I'm sure they have been very busy trying to get theses kits together for release, just wish I knew where I stand. I ordered using the reserve price, so I guess we'll see.....

I'm just starting the build now and am at my first major decision point. By the way the instructions are fantastic!

Option A - Four engine cluster standard 18mm or Option B - Single 24mm engine...

I'm strongly leaning towards the cluster, but haven't decided yet...

Cluster ignition will look cool, sound cool and provide a great boost. On the other hand, it's more risky. Any failure could be very costly. Using the single 24mm engine would lower the risk factor, but also the boost.

I'm talking Estes C's for the cluster and Estes D's for the single...

Single engine increases the risk of no ejection charge. Cluster increases risk of ignition failure (3 out of 4 would not be fatal) but lowers risk of ejection failure.

Single motor allows use of 24mm RMS and a variety of loads.

Originally posted by cas2047
I'm just starting the build now and am at my first major decision point. By the way the instructions are fantastic!

Option A - Four engine cluster standard 18mm or Option B - Single 24mm engine...

I'm strongly leaning towards the cluster, but haven't decided yet...

Cluster ignition will look cool, sound cool and provide a great boost. On the other hand, it's more risky. Any failure could be very costly. Using the single 24mm engine would lower the risk factor, but also the boost.

Good points, especiallly on the 24mm RMS and reload variety.

"Single motor allows use of 24mm RMS and a variety of loads."

I'm strongly considering extending the 24mm motor tube for E-mount or RMS, and it's easy enough to adapt to D. Athough, a 4X cluster would look extremely cool during flight. Don't have any experience with clusters at this point, not sure I want to experiment on this. May try my hand with a Duece or something along those lines first.

.........Some of you might wonder about the engine mount. It is NOT convertable (though the instructions invite you to do it if you think you can). You build it either for four C motors, or one D....
Buy two and build it both ways. ;) ;)

...or build an adapter which will allow you to switch between a 4 x 18mm cluster arrangement, or a single 24mm motor.

Originally posted by vjp
...or build an adapter which will allow you to switch between a 4 x 18mm cluster arrangement, or a single 24mm motor.

man do I wish I had the skill to do that....:(

I think it's the 4 engine cluster for me. As long as at least three engines ignite it will look outstanding off the pad!

That's what I intend to do!

I just may do the same thing! I'm having a great time building this rocket (so far);)

Looks and sounds great so far. Keep us up to date on the build and, of coourse, keep the pics coming! :cool:

Originally posted by cas2047

The cluster is cool, and realy pushes this rocket up there. Here is a picture of my 30+ year old Estes Sat 1B at Pawhuska, OK during the 2005 Prarie Thunder.
https://www.tulsarocketry.org/photos/PT05_114_1453.JPG

I am always nervous when flying clusters though. As I already have this old cluster, I would probably build 24mm now.:)

Made some progress on my 1B today. I took a couple of pics and may take a few from time to time during the build...

Custom cuts to 4 of the tank tubes to accomodate the 4 engine motor mount.

Did some painting. Paiting is my weakness so I thought I would get ahead of the game and not have to do the detail work later. We'll see if this works out or not... I will have to mask off the black tanks and paint a white rectangle where the decals will go, but for me it's easier to do the masking than to try and paint the tanks after they are attached...

Back