Semroc Recruiter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Well I went for it. I decided to open & build this truly awesome looking rocket. The parts, packing, everything where superb. Right, now to the building...:p

I read through the instructions several times, then got cracking on #1

I sanded the surface of the fin sheet with 240 grit sand paper, and cut the little notches out what was holding them in place. Placed them in a neat pile and sanded all of the edges down to get any 'flashing' off. I sealed the surfaces of each fin with 'RS Cyanoacrylate (CYA)'. I placed them on in the airing cupboard for 1hour, then sanded the surfaces down once again.

This takes us up to #6. I placed the bodytube over the tube marking guide & placed pencil lines on the BT where each fin should go. I then made the notches larger by holding the BT up against my door frame.

#7 :
I found this a REAL pleasure to build. I hate spending 2mintutes throwing 2 rings on either end of a tube and gluing them in place, but not with this MMT. I cut out the lovely laser-cut centring rings and sealed the edges with CYA. Secondly I grabbed a'hold of the the Coupler Tube, and glued the CR without the notch for the Motor-Hook onto one end, and glued it in throughly. Next, I placed the motor tube into the the CR that was glued to the Coupler, and stuffed the inside of the coupler tube with Steel Wool that I found inside of a soldering iron kit, then glued the last CR onto the remaining end of the Coupler, without gluing the Motor Tube in place. I slowly removed the motor tube from the CR's, so that I didn't disturb the Steel-Wool, bent the Motor Hook on a slight angle as the instructions say, placed in the motor hook, thrust ring, spacer and kevlar. And covered the whole thing with CYA. Now the only thing to do to complete the MMT was to place the tube back into the Coupler tube with the CR's. I did so and and filleted the joints.

#15:

I lightly sanded the inside of the main BT, and placed the MMT in place. Leaving a 5mm gap between the aft CR & the bottom of the BT, to act as a 'well' for some Epoxy. I CYA'd the MMT in placed and filled up the well with 12 Min Epoxy, leaving room for the Motor Hook note.

#16:

Where I put the lines onto the BT, I roughed them up with some more 240 grit sandpaper, and tacked each fin down with yet again, some more CYA', and added some small fillets using the same stuff. After they where fully dry (15-20mins), I filleted them with some Wood Glue. I also attached the Launch Lugs ( Arn't these a bit big?).

#19:

Number 19 is to CA the screw-eye into the Transition. I also covered this in CYA (Rather than using Balsa Filler, and to give it a little bit more strength)
This was done and then lightly sanded down with 240 grit to get rid of any bumps in the CYA.

#20:

The Transition & Nosecone were both left removable so that I can add a Altimeter (When I get my Picco :))

#22/23/24:

I assembled the 'chute via the instructions, I found it extremely easy ( This might be because I've made 8 Semroc 'chutes ). And yet again this came out to be a AWESOME, looking 'chute. Man, these are too nice to put in a rocket :D

Now all is left, is to finish her. I plan on putting on about 2-3 coats of Halfords White or Plastikote Flat White primer, and painting her the way she looks on the Instructions. And dressing her in her decals :eek:

Conclusion:
This has been the BEST build of all, out of all my Semroc fleet, and possibly my entire fleet!. It's straight forward yet it needs a bit of thinking for a few things. I urge anyone to get one of these sweets why they still can.

Once again, Thank You Semroc for presenting me with this marvellous Kit, your kindness will be repaid :p

Karl

Well I have the first spray of paint on her, I painted her using Plastikote Dafodil ( I decided not to go with the stock paintjob). Im painting the Bodytubes yellow, and the balsa parts matt black.

I will try and get some pictures
Karl

You need to write this up and send it to EMRR.

The things I liked the most about the kit are the cool looking cone and the quality of the motor mount. And the kevlar/elastic recovery harness. Other than CA treating the cone, I pretty much built it stock. Mine will be white; the cone will be matte black with a red 'tower', and it will have roll paterns on the fins. I'll add markings on the cone to make it appear like a capsule. I will even keep the plastic chute on this one just to have it complete.

Are you going to add the little sticker with specs and S/N or kepp it in a safe place? Mine will go on.

Im keeping that part ;) Or theres no proof that it's kit #20 :p

The kit went togethor VERY well, and I realy liked the mmt part :D

Semroc :
I'll send you my copy of the UKRA magazine after I've read my article on the Recruiter :p

EMRR will get a full review when shes been flown ( Next WRS launch, along with the DW )

Karl

Proof? Bah! If my kit is up in the trees, I don't need any steeenkin' proof :p If its in my house, I still got the proof! :)

Weather was extremely cooperative here today so I was able to prime my Recruiter this morning & paint it glossy white this afternoon (all Krylon mind you!)

I'm going to paint it to match the header card :) If the weather is similar tomorrow, there's a good chance that I'll be able to paint the nose cone tip & 2 fins red. Depending on what time I get home from work M, T, & W, I *might* be able to finish it. Otherwise, I'm going out of town on business Thursday morning & won't be back till the following Tuesday :rolleyes:

How's everyone else's Recruiter coming along?

I just looked at my recruiter and noticed something funny.

I think I may have the "Upside down Airmail Stamp"!!!:eek:

My hang tag header card is backwards!!!

This is kinda cool! Mines really special now!

Now I have to buy another one so I can save this one!

Here's mine 99% done. It needs a clear coat and markings on the capsule. I decided not to use the decal with the s/n on it, it seemed to big for the model.

Pic 1 of 2

That looks great Rstaff.

I just started on mine yesterday (Sunday).
Received it Saturday, #53.
I'm going to paint the nose similar to Rstaff, black with red top.
But I think I'm going to paint the fins like the cover art, except white instead of grey. Not sure yet.

I love the roll patterns on the fins, but I don't want to be too much of a copycat. ;)

Tim

Nice job! I like that a lot. Might have to move it up higher in the build list.

Here she is, not all of the decals are on yet. Thats Yellow vinyl around the BT. The balsa parts where sealed with CYA.

Karl

I'm working on finishing my Recruiter with the stock paint scheme (just need to do the last 2 fins in blue...) but I think the yellow/black scheme you've got here is SWEET :cool: Nice job, Karl!

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I will get the rest of the decals finished soon, and I'll post another picture.

I carn't believe how easy this kit went togethor, and how well the transistion & nosecone sealed with CYA.

Thanks,
Karl

Back