Semroc Pro Cherokee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was finally able to watch all the vendor presentations. I wasn’t clear if this new model had a 3D printed or just a blow-mold plastic nose cone? Assuming the later. The upscale Orbital Transport looks to be available in several weeks with 3D printed parts. The Semroc parts and kit line will be moving in the direction of 3D printing. I’m definitely nostalgic on balsa nose cones and transitions, but 3D printing is the probably the only way forward for vendors.

Peter Alway is fun to watch. What a cool guy! Sure would like a copy of his first book!
1D0880A6-BD68-4AC7-8FFB-1ABE30F05822.png

You are correct about the blow-molded nose cone on the Pro Cherokee.

It will probably be longer than several weeks on the Orbital Transport, because we are waiting on getting in body tubes for it. There is also another Pro Series kit in the pipeline that will also use some of those tubes.

You are correct about the blow-molded nose cone on the Pro Cherokee.

It will probably be longer than several weeks on the Orbital Transport, because we are waiting on getting in body tubes for it. There is also another Pro Series kit in the pipeline that will also use some of those tubes.
Well, hopefully before the end of the year for the OT. If you can divulge, what are the specs?

Looks like the new Semroc Pro Cherokee rocket kit is selling good for eRockets. They ran out of stock yesterday, but more added to stock and are selling well. Looking forward to more of their Pro Series Rocket Kits 🚀

Gee, it looks to me like 3 fins and a 2.6” body tube…..might as well just get some parts and build one…enough long NCs out there to complete this and save yourself $90….yawn.

or better yet, get creative! :)

Not a hater, just bored of the same samo….

Gee, it looks to me like 3 fins and a 2.6” body tube…..might as well just get some parts and build one…enough long NCs out there to complete this and save yourself $90….yawn.

or better yet, get creative! :)

Not a hater, just bored of the same samo….
And now for something completely different.
20210727_143950.jpg

I was finally able to watch all the vendor presentations. I wasn’t clear if this new model had a 3D printed or just a blow-mold plastic nose cone? Assuming the later. The upscale Orbital Transport looks to be available in several weeks with 3D printed parts. The Semroc parts and kit line will be moving in the direction of 3D printing. I’m definitely nostalgic on balsa nose cones and transitions, but 3D printing is the probably the only way forward for vendors.

Peter Alway is fun to watch. What a cool guy! Sure would like a copy of his first book!
View attachment 474928
I think the following would be the correct balsa upscaled nose cone for the new Semroc Pro Cherokee,
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-balsa-nose-cone-bth-80-10-6-secant-ogive-sem-bnc-80hac/

I purchased a Semroc BNC-80HAC to replace the kit supplied nose cone (Which is an AeroTech 2.6" nose cone).
This cone is shorter than the AeroTech nosecone so I will have to use a longer piece of body tube to make up the difference.
Now that's OCD I can appreciate! Are you going to scale it to the original 16.5" or 18" tube?

I purchased a Semroc BNC-80HAC to replace the kit supplied nose cone (Which is an AeroTech 2.6" nose cone).
This cone is shorter than the AeroTech nosecone so I will have to use a longer piece of body tube to make up the difference.
Bob,
How much longer will the BT be?

Bob,
How much longer will the BT be?

The body tube will need to be two inches longer to make up for the shorter, more accurate, balsa nose cone.

I contacted Randy at eRockets/Semroc and asked him whether the Pro Cherokee was based on the 16.35" or 18" BT-55 body tube.
He replied they just went with the whatever looked right using the AeroTech nose cone.

The reason we went with the Aerotech nose cone is availability and cost. A balsa nose cone would have cost 36 Dollars instead of 15 Dollars for the plastic cone. We're trying to keep the costs down. We keep having a hard time getting in Balsa in the size we need to make a 2.6" nose cone, and this way we can try and meet the demand for the kit.

Yes, we shortened the body tube but we feel it has the right proportions. Sometimes, you have to have trade-offs.

The reason we went with the Aerotech nose cone is availability and cost. A balsa nose cone would have cost 36 Dollars instead of 15 Dollars for the plastic cone. We're trying to keep the costs down. We keep having a hard time getting in Balsa in the size we need to make a 2.6" nose cone, and this way we can try and meet the demand for the kit.

Yes, we shortened the body tube but we feel it has the right proportions. Sometimes, you have to have trade-offs.
Do you sell the aerotech nose cone as a separate part, if so, what's the part number of it?

Back