SEMROC Orbital Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsNorth

Reaction score
After enjoying the many build threads here I was inspired to sit down and really build this classic. After 3 weeks of sanding, priming, painting and more sanding here are a few pix of my first serious model build in many, many, many years. While it wouldn't compare with most of the projects posted here, the time and effort put into her was definitely inspired by the skill and artistry exhibited on this site. Hopefully one day I'll be as skilled and many of the members here. I wanted to share the final product and say thanks to all for the inspiration and advice :)

I'm hoping to get it up in the air as soon as we get a day when the winds are light and it's not raining...

100_0365.jpg

100_0363.jpg

100_0366.jpg

100_0367.jpg

Last edited:
It looks might-t-fine to me!

I bet it will look even better during lift off!

I had this (Estes) kit back in the late 70's while in the army. Then out of rocketry until this year. I also recently purchased this (Semroc) kit, and eagerly anticipate flying this beautiful model again. You did a very nice job, I hope I can reproduce what you have done here. Thanks for showing.

Looks fantastic! Post a flight report please. :)

Thanks. I'll be happy to post a report, maybe with some pix of the flight. The fields I usually use are hip high in corn now so it maybe awhile before the glider goes for a spin, but I'm really hope for a maiden booster flight on Sunday if the weatherman is right :wave:

I had this (Estes) kit back in the late 70's while in the army. Then out of rocketry until this year. I also recently purchased this (Semroc) kit, and eagerly anticipate flying this beautiful model again. You did a very nice job, I hope I can reproduce what you have done here. Thanks for showing.
Thanks very much, I'm sure you'll do a great job! Please share some pix of the finished product.
I made a real mess out of an Estes Interceptor back in the 70's/80's :blush: and never got it off the ground.
You'll enjoy this repo, I know I did !!

Great job on the transport :) I can't wait to see liftoff pictures :)
Cheers
Fred

Great job on the transport :) I can't wait to see liftoff pictures :)
Cheers
Fred

Thanks Fred, the weather is cooperating here for a change :wave: so I may get her up on Sunday time permitting. If not we're supposed to have real summer until at least the middle of the week so I've got some alternate launch windows. :)

Thanks Fred, the weather is cooperating here for a change :wave: so I may get her up on Sunday time permitting. If not we're supposed to have real summer until at least the middle of the week so I've got some alternate launch windows. :)

She looks great and don't sell yourself short; for a low-power model this is a pretty involved build. I just finished mine a few weeks ago and just flew it for the first time this last Sunday (16th). I'll have some pics once my sister posts them for me and we can compare notes/photos once yours gets into the air. :)

She looks great and don't sell yourself short; for a low-power model this is a pretty involved build. I just finished mine a few weeks ago and just flew it for the first time this last Sunday (16th). I'll have some pics once my sister posts them for me and we can compare notes/photos once yours gets into the air. :)

Thx Red, appreciate the support.
I was planning on a try this evening, but the clouds are rolling in as I type :mad: and we're supposed to get more of the same into the weekend :bang:

I can't wait to see your pics and read the launch report! Looking forward to comparing notes and pix.

The stars finally aligned! I had some free time and the weather bright and calm.
Today we did 2 launches of our OT.
For Launch 1 we did not fly the Glider to test the Transporter's stability and launch trim. Keeping in step with the "go slow" method we sent it up on the minimum recommended B6-4. She launched perfectly, making 4 or 5 revolutions before arching over and popping the chute at about 350 feet. Perfect deployment and very gentle landing.
Launch 2, we mounted the Glider and loaded another B6-4. With the Glider attached the OT arched on her back more than I had suspected it would, but at deployment the Glider detached and with a 5 to 7 degree nose stall circled from about 275 feet for a prefect landing. Unfortunately the shock cord tanged in the shroud lines and the OT landed hard.
Damage: cracked the under fins on the wings and minor dent at the top end of the tube which was easily rounded like new. She's on the bench ready for repairs and repaint to fly another day. But I will definitely be loading the recommend C motor to give the Transporter more altitude for full chute deployment.
Unfortunately we could get any pix and the daughter has the camera away for the weekend.

The stars finally aligned! I had some free time and the weather bright and calm.
Today we did 2 launches of our OT.
For Launch 1 we did not fly the Glider to test the Transporter's stability and launch trim. Keeping in step with the "go slow" method we sent it up on the minimum recommended B6-4. She launched perfectly, making 4 or 5 revolutions before arching over and popping the chute at about 350 feet. Perfect deployment and very gentle landing.
Launch 2, we mounted the Glider and loaded another B6-4. With the Glider attached the OT arched on her back more than I had suspected it would, but at deployment the Glider detached and with a 5 to 7 degree nose stall circled from about 275 feet for a prefect landing. Unfortunately the shock cord tanged in the shroud lines and the OT landed hard.
Damage: cracked the under fins on the wings and minor dent at the top end of the tube which was easily rounded like new. She's on the bench ready for repairs and repaint to fly another day. But I will definitely be loading the recommend C motor to give the Transporter more altitude for full chute deployment.
Unfortunately we could get any pix and the daughter has the camera away for the weekend.
Sounds like it went well congrats :)
Cheers
fred

Back