Semroc Mars Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven40

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I recently finished the Semroc Mars Lander. Don't intend to fly it, just a hanger queen for now.

I did some modifications including using springs instead of rubber bands for suspension.

I took detailed photos of various steps and will post if there's interest!

Steve

Attachments

• ML-1small.jpg
    ML-1small.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 72
It looks awesome! I love the Mars Lander design, even more after seeing the movie and reading the book "The Martian".

I have mixed feelings- if I build a rocket I think it has to be flown at least one time, and I understand the risk involved for a kit that I've put a lot of hours into.

I'm working on my own Mars Lander that I've been working on for many years. I've been held up by the raised panel detail, now I've decided on a couple of variations to try so now I have to do some tests of them.

Here goes!

Semroc would have you build the thing and then start sanding and finishing the completed rocket. I prefer to completely finish sub-assemblies, then assemble, taking care to remove paint at glue joints. BTW, I used Tamiya acrylic paints which I airbrushed.

Here are a few sub-assemblies. Note the rubber bands; I hadn't decided to go with springs at this point.

Attachments

• ML1.jpg
    ML1.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 69
Deciding to use springs, I remembered buying a bag of assorted springs from Micro-Mark several years ago. By some miracle I found them!

Attachments

• mars3.jpg
    mars3.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 48
After choosing a few that had a proper "feel" to them, I attached one to a leg, and adjusted the tension by adjusting the length as shown. I was going for an amount of tension matching the rubber bands.

Attachments

• mars9.jpg
    mars9.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 65
  • spring1.jpg
    spring1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 63
Once all four springs were attached, the rubber bands were removed. The holes through which the springs were placed were soaked with CA to strengthen them, and a dab of epoxy secured them. Then the excess spring was clipped off.

Attachments

• springs2.jpg
    springs2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 52
  • springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 52
It seems to me that springs are definitely worth doing. Once the rubber bands decay, there's no good way to replace them. As far as locating suitable springs go, check a good hardware store. Maybe even springs from pens might work?

I can round up more photos.

BTW, the entire rocket was finished in gloss for decals, then overcoated with a clear satin.

Also, as far as launching the little beast goes, I have a second kit in the stash. When my grandson gets a little older we can build it to fly!

Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer!

Steve

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220101_142144.jpg
    thumbnail_20220101_142144.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 49
  • SIB.jpg
    SIB.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 48
Nice work! I wonder when I'll get around to building mine? Don't know if I'd go with springs, or a removable bottom to replace rubber bands. Purchased at NARCON 2006 when, IIRC, it was first released.

After choosing a few that had a proper "feel" to them, I attached one to a leg, and adjusted the tension by adjusting the length as shown. I was going for an amount of tension matching the rubber bands.
Nicely done! Such meticulous craftsmanship. 👍

Thanks guys,

One more photo (sorry about the poor choice of background) showing how the end of the spring was bent (and later the end coil opened up) to fit over the dowel to replace the rubber bands.

Steve

Attachments

• apringbend.jpg
    apringbend.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 33
Firstly,

Very nice workmanship!
The springs look nice!

Second,

Be very careful about overbuilding/finishing the Mars Lander. It's marginally stable.
I'll have to check, but from memory, Carl said keep the weight below 4oz and the CG
near the top of the descent stage (BT-100).

If you are close on these do the 1st flight in very light or calm winds.

I'm not planning on launching it.

Back in 1972 I launched this sucker. That was fun! I'm on the right.

Steve

Attachments

• enhancedHONCHO LAUNCH CREW 1972 - Copy.jpg
    enhancedHONCHO LAUNCH CREW 1972 - Copy.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 45
Back