Semroc Launch build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

standardrockets

Reaction score
Admire the unopened package.
PICT1.jpg

Step 1 unpackage and take inventory.
PICT2.jpg

This is after step 2 is completed. Normal high quality laser cut Semroc fins. A little work for the xacto knife It gets to take a break for a few minutes.
PICT3.jpg

Edges all sanded per step 3. Skipping step 4 so no beveled leading edge.
PICT4.jpg

This next picture is after steps 5, 6 and 7. For step 5 I lent the engine hook to Al Gore to distort.
PICT5.jpg

Step 8 is removing all the vanes and the CRs from the fiber set. Just a touch more work for the xacto knife. Then slip on the forward CR. Be careful with the CRs as they are exact fits so do not let the glassine coating get folded back/distorted at the trailing edge of the engine tube when slipping them on.
PICT6.jpg

Step 9 is sliding on the rearward CR. The instructions say to fillet the CRs at this point. I would suggest test fitting the vanes to make sure the rearward CR position is perfect. Then carefully pull the vanes out and fillet around the CRs.
PICT7.jpg

And looking at step 10, it should be swapped with step 9 now that I look at the instructions with a little more care.

Step 11 is the installation of the vanes. Once I had them all in place, I gently slid the flashing from the fiber CRs over the vanes to give a touch more pressure against the engine tube. In retrospect I should have beveled the inside edge to give less of a sharp corner against the vanes. But there was no visible dent from 2 feet away.
PICT8.jpg

Filleted the vanes.
PICT9.jpg

Step 12 SKIPPED IT!!!!! I am so happy to say that I just might have eliminated 90% of all tube marking. You'll see why in a little bit.

Step 13 BT attached to engine mount.
PICT10.jpg

Step 14 Skipped this one but should have read it before going to step 15. You can see the mistake in the photo of the rocket getting fillets.

Step 15 was attaching the fins. I used the Standard Rocket Assembly Tool.
PICT11.jpg

I'm skipping step 16 (attaching the launch lug) on purpose for reasons I cannot divulge at this time.

Step 17 is filleting. I used the cradle top of the Standard Rocket Assembly tool for this holding the rocket. Being the rocket is tail heavy without the upper part attached, I took a magnet and put it into the front end of the main BT to hold it down to the left bracket. I then proceeded to apply fillets. At the time of writing I have 3 of 4 "sides" done.
PICT12.jpg

My mistake of skipping step 14 can be seen when you look closely at the fin to vane alignment.

So also I want to extend my congratulations to Al Gore on his great assessment of the environment. Did I mention it started snowing out here in Minneapolis at about 8PM on March 31 2009?

Last edited:
I'm not seeing the pic of your Step 17; all I see is the red "x" inside a box.

Got that corrected. I had the wrong picture number in there. I guess I subconsciously didn't want you to see my mistake. :D

Got that corrected. I had the wrong picture number in there. I guess I subconsciously didn't want you to see my mistake. :D

I'm not sure I follow what the mistake is; is the fin suppose to be "in line" with
the vanes, too? Otherwise your build (and the pics) looks awesome! I'm looking forward to getting my LAUNCH Missile, too.

Great jig, great build thread, even better rocket! I've been drooling over this rocket for a while

Step 14 clearly tells you to line up the fin lines one would make on the BT with the engine mount vanes right after you do installation of the engine mount. But because I didn't need the lines for straight fins, I kind of dismissed that step.

I should have rotated the BT a touch when I started to attach the fins...

Step 14 clearly tells you to line up the fin lines one would make on the BT with the engine mount vanes right after you do installation of the engine mount. But because I didn't need the lines for straight fins, I kind of dismissed that step.

I should have rotated the BT a touch when I started to attach the fins...
So the fins should be aligned exactly with the vanes?

That's a great-looking jig, by the way. How much do they sell for? I didn't see a price on your site.

Last edited:
Way to go, Lyle.... on the build thread, the rocket build, and your awesome jig! I can't wait to get my LAUNCH missile. I am seriously thinking about getting one of your jigs too - that is WAY too sweet!

Are these available yet?

I sent an EM yesterday asking how availability is coming on the jig. His site says end of June so hopefully we are getting close. I keep checking the vendor section for an announcement.

Back