Semroc kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zericon

Reaction score
I love the semroc kits... i've just placed my third order in a month for some... Anyway just wondering about there SLS line has anyone tried any yet?
If anyone has, how are they/ how is there flight? what size field? seems there awfull small for such big engines...

thanks

Well, I'm working on my SLS Sky Hook now, but I will say I am impressed with the kit. The tubes are thick walled and very strong. It came with a large ripstop nylon chute, and 29 to 24mm motor adapter. Oh, and basswood fins, laser cut.

It does seem too small for large motors, unless your the type to send a 20" long rocket 4000 feet. That's what is predicted on an F25. Other estimates: 2000 ft on an E9 and 1100 ft on a D12.

My only complaint is that there is no positive motor retention if using a 29mm motor. The adapter does come with a hook, so I think I'm just going to glue in the adapter and fly only 24mm motors.

It's a great kit, and more SLS kits are on the way.

Here's a snip of an email I got from them:

""The Aero-Dart (1965 edition) is almost done and will probably be the next
SLS.

We flew a 175% upscale of the Astro-1 at NARAM. The SLS Goliath is in the
works; our first Level 1 kit (Aerotech H97, but will fly on F's and G's).

Looking at the Laser-X as 175% upscale.

Thanks again for all your support of Semroc.

Regards,
Carl""

I'll have to let you know how it flys later. :)

Tim

I just finished my Skyhook but it's been way too humid to paint. I am adding a clear payload section. Dresses it up, makes it a bit heavier and doesn't really change the model structurally.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10762&highlight=Skyhook

Yes, very beefy tube but you gotta be nuts to fly it on an F or a G.

I'm gluing my 24mm adaptor in place!;)

I could still fly it on an F21...if I want to...which I don't!

For motors that size, masking tape is all the positive motor retention you need. Masking tape does not work whell when your rocket is large enought to require over 2 grams of BP, or if the motor burns for more then 5 seconds (tape starts to melt).

Originally posted by n3tjm
For motors that size, masking tape is all the positive motor retention you need

What size are you referring to? The F's?

The only F's I've flown have been in my Aerotech kits, so I have the hook. If tape will work, that'll be good to know for future models.

Tim

I use friction fit in motors up to and including 38mm. When you get to 54mm, the pressures on the motor during ejection charge may exceed the hold of the tape. My magnum uses a washer and nut system to back up friction fitting.

Back