Semroc kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
Since people have mentioned Semroc kits in a recent thread I decided to take some photos of the kits at eRockets last night. The first two are many of the Semroc kits hanging up in the display area. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos as I was using my not very smart phone and the lighting in this area isn't conducive to taking photos.

Semroc Kits 1.jpg

I didn't realize that this one was blurry until I uploaded it. It didn't help that someone was building a rocket at a table just in front of the display and I was trying to keep him out of the photo.

Semroc Kits 2.jpg

Some of the Semroc kits in the bulk storage area of the warehouse.
Semroc Kits 3.jpg

Randy asked me to highlight one of the newest Semroc kits, the Heli-Rocktor. The fins deploy at ejection so that the rocket uses helicopter recovery. Your kit will include full instructions - I looked at one to make sure there were instructions in the bag. I had to work on mine during the prototype stage and use verbal instructions from one of the guys who designed the kit. It went something like this: Step 1 do this. Step 2 do this. Step 3 do this. Step 4 Wait, before glue the parts together in step 2, be sure to do... This happened multiple times during the assembly. I won't mention his name, but Jay gave some very confusing instructions. Your instructions are all written down in the proper order.

Semroc Heli Roctor.jpg

Now you have a better idea of what I have to endure every Tuesday night. In addition to the Semroc kits are displays of Estes, Newway, Flis Kits, Loc Precision, Quest, etc., over 800 different rockets. And then there are the parts, hundreds of parts. Tubes in many different lengths and diameters. Nose cones and more nose cones and even more nose cones. Transitions, launch lugs, centering rings and it just seems to go on and on. No wonder my wallet is often lighter on Wednesday mornings!

Last edited:
I visited there a couple of months ago when I ventured out to Ohio to see my son and was duly impressed with their inventory. They were super folks to visit with and even got a tour of the place. Just had to leave with a couple of new kits. Felt like a kid in a candy store.

I visited there a couple of months ago when I ventured out to Ohio to see my son and was duly impressed with their inventory. They were super folks to visit with and even got a tour of the place. Just had to leave with a couple of new kits. Felt like a kid in a candy store.

If Randy is around and not super busy at the moment you get a tour. I think you have to pay to NOT get a tour. :wink: Randy is super proud of his business and deservedly so.

If Randy is around and not super busy at the moment you get a tour. I think you have to pay to NOT get a tour. :wink: Randy is super proud of his business and deservedly so.

We are heading to Nebraska in August to chase the solar eclipse, I think a tour along the way has made it to the list. So many rockets so little time....

It is probably a good thing that I am separated from his shop by a thousand miles (though I have found the post to be reliable!). I really love Semroc's kits. They remind me of way back when I first started in this hobby, all paper and balsa!

By the way Mike, I really like your signature. With all due respect to G. Harry (and that is a LOT of respect), I've always loathed that term...

Yes no disrespect intended t-ward Mr. Stine. His books have brought me much happiness and information over the years.

It is probably a good thing that I am separated from his shop by a thousand miles (though I have found the post to be reliable!). I really love Semroc's kits. They remind me of way back when I first started in this hobby, all paper and balsa!

By the way Mike, I really like your signature. With all due respect to G. Harry (and that is a LOT of respect), I've always loathed that term...

Is that place for real? Seriously....when I saw the pics....a little pee came out.....

I am so very grateful to Randy and his crew for keeping the Semroc name alive. I know Carl was hoping Bruce and I could continue but with health issues, it wasn't possible. I think he would be very happy that his "creation" will live one. Thank you Randy and crew.

Sheryl

I would like to also thank Sheryl for all of her hard work at SEMROC and her wonderful personality . She knows that I probably did come close to buying two of everything... She and Carl were a great team and brought the hobby a lot of new "old" products and memories.

Thanks also to Randy Boadway for taking on the hard work to keep SEMROC a vital part of our community. I hope to stop in and visit the next time I am back in my native Ohio.

Chas

I moved from Ohio (hated the overcast skies), but would love to go back and see that place. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Only view the videos if you can stomach a bunch of less than pretty, middle-aged guys building rockets. And yes, I am including myself because I am in a number of the videos. If you pay attention you should be able to figure out who I am.

I would like to also thank Sheryl for all of her hard work at SEMROC and her wonderful personality . She knows that I probably did come close to buying two of everything... She and Carl were a great team and brought the hobby a lot of new "old" products and memories.

Thanks also to Randy Boadway for taking on the hard work to keep SEMROC a vital part of our community. I hope to stop in and visit the next time I am back in my native Ohio.

Chas

Thank you Chas. Yes, you along with many others did buy 2 of each kit, numbered and non-numbered. We were thankful for the many loyal friends we had in the rocketry community. Sorry we didn't get to spend much time with several during the NARAM's, but you all were so busy with the competitions.

Back