SEMROC Firefly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Let me start this review out with a complaint to all the model rocket kit manufacturers.

The Estes Mosquito
The Fliskit Flea
The Semroc Firefly

See a pattern here?

Now notice that all manufacturer's kits that are named after a little insect...ALL seem to dissapear on the first flight!:kill: Why is that?

I have seen two examples of the Firefly launched and not once did we even see the second stage!
One was an ORIGINAL 30 year old kit that JimZ was flying for the first time. In the words of JimZ's wife after 3 hours of searching, "Jim, what were you thinking?"

I am making some modifications to mine.

1.) Single Stage with still the Firefly look.
2.) Motor mount adaptor to fly on 18mm 1/2A or 13mm A motors.
3.) The rest of the parts will go into the parts bin.

To begin I was just a little taken back by the $10 price. That seemed kinda high for the normally very inexpensive SEMROC kits.

Then I opened the package....WOW!!! a teeny tiny rocket with 42 parts!:eek:

Holy parts assortment Batman! Very impressive.

sandman

In all fairness to Carl, I will be ordering another kit to build stock as a two stager...cane we say "Rocket God sacrifice".

Here is the new motor mount with an engine hook added.

The parts on the left are some of the original motor mount parts that will be used on a different project.

I am not going to glue the two stage parts together until after they are painted.

sandman

New motor mount and first stage completed waiting for the fins.

1/16" fins are really easy to sand!

The laser cutting still amazes me, I can't wait until Exacto makes a laser cutter.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Let me start this review out with a complaint to all the model rocket kit manufacturers.

The Estes Mosquito
The Fliskit Flea
The Semroc Firefly

See a pattern here?

I see you did NOT mention the FlisKits Tumbleweed. I've flown mine 4 times & still have that little bugger sitting on my desk :D Heck, I have harding time finding MOTORS (all flights have been on 1/2A3-2Ts) than finding the rocket in the grass ;) I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty darn lucky...

Gordon,

I could see your modifications to this to make it a model that you won't loose...

- 8 ounces of nose weight
- 12" parachute deployment on ignition....

:D :D

I see you did NOT mention the FlisKits Tumbleweed.

Jim,

The Tumbleweed isn't named after a tiny insect...unless there is a new species of bug out there!:D

Although I will be building one stock...as an offering to the Rocket Gods.

sandman

OK...progress, slow work day...

The fins were glued on this morning and I finished the fillets this afternoon/evening.

I left the two "stages" unglued for now to make painting easier.

One little gotchas to watch out for but no biggy. You have to pay attention to the launch lug location. Don't just put it between a pair of fins!

I did make a different tail flar (nozzle) because I used an engine hook.

sandman

Finished!:D

That was easy! I think it's cute but I will have to build another one stock.

I can't see any real deductions on this so far. Gotta be a 5/5 for the build.

It's pretty light...may have to stick with an A or less.

sandman

I will try to paint the Firefly this weekend.

I do have another one "on the way" that I will build stock.

sandman

Finally got it painted but ran into a snag on the decals.

The fin shevrons are only for the left side!

I got 8 left sides and no rights!:confused:

Nothing that couldn't be easily fixed with a pair of scissors.

Excited about flying this one (it'll be a single stage using both stages glued together).

Gotta give this kit a 4.9 on the build. Deduct .1 for the decals...minor detail.

Originally posted by jflis
Gordon,

I could see your modifications to this to make it a model that you won't loose...

- 8 ounces of nose weight
- 12" parachute deployment on ignition....

:D :D

Fishing rod. Reel. 1,000 ft. of monofilament already pulled out.

"You know where to put the hook." -- Parodied from 'Tommy'

WHOOSHZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

POP!

crank crank crank crank crank crank PULL crank crank crank crank crank crank crank PULL crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank PULL crank crank crank crank crank crank crank .....

Those 24" chutes are real fighters, I hear.

i built the Centuri Firefly many decades ago. i cannot remember if it used shorty engines or regular length motors. I know my Beta used shorties.

There are no certified mini booster motors currently and none are in production. The smallest booster motor currently manufactured and certified is the Quest or Estes B6-0 (AND the Quest B6-0 is not on the NAR list but is in their hands for testing or the testing is done and they have not updated the list).

Back