Semi-Three

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Well, it's only got three, not four, so it's not a semi-four.

This rocket is a tri-monocopter. The three sections separate at ejection and come down independently, all of them spiralling like a maple leaf.

I tested in by myself a couple weeks ago, and lost one piece in the tall hay, so I made another. Today at METRA I launched it on a B6-4, and it worked perfectly. I tried to take a picture of it coming down, but figure the odds of being able to see all three of these little pieces while they're still high enough up to get them all in the picture.

Any chance you could post up some instructions on how to make one?

Very nice, never seens three piece maple seed before. Looks cool assemled also!

Originally posted by wwattles
Any chance you could post up some instructions on how to make one?

Complete instructions being written and submitted to EMRR "Scratch Built" was I tippy-type this.

Looking forward to seeing these plans - that is an interesting rocket. Congrats on a really nifty design!:D

Greg

Originally posted by gpoehlein
Looking forward to seeing these plans - that is an interesting rocket. Congrats on a really nifty design!:D

Greg

It's great fun to fly where there's a crowd and they don't know what to expect. At first the parts flutter and so they think they're going to get to see a CATO. Then the fluttering turns into spirals and the parts slow down their descent.

Frankly I'm amazed all three pieces worked first time, first design. I was slapping it together with an idea of what I wanted to happen but not how. Some of the pieces, like the fins and spars, were already cut scrap pieces. The rocket ghods must have been amused.

Just wondering, how many people would be interested in a kit for this?

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I tried to take a picture of it coming down, but figure the odds of being able to see all three of these little pieces while they're still high enough up to get them all in the picture.

Yep, I was right. Two tiny orange dots against a whole lot of clouds and sky. Zoom? Maybe a telescope. Disposables definitely don't do the job.

Originally posted by JRThro
DynaSoar,

Great *bunch* of reviews on EMRR!

{Elvis} uhTHENKyew, uhTHENKyewverymush. {/Elvis}

There's about 5 more sent in that haven't been processed yet. I'm sure Nick is quite overworked right now with this update, Descon 14 results and a pile of other stuff. Hey, I needed something to do while I was off work and waiting to move. That was about 8 months worth saved up that I dumped on him.

Back