Semi-Personal Launch Report, ROCC 04/27/14 (videos)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusSRG

Reaction score
I finally made it out to a launch on Sunday! Having not flown since New Years Day I was itching to fly! Nothing prepped either. Amidst starting a new job, playing gigs and planning a wedding, rockets are lower on the list at the moment:( My only goal was to fly a G25W and a G125T--two reissued AeroTech classics I've never flown.

Couldn't have asked for a better day...
wildflowers.jpg

Unfortunately Ken didn't have any G125Ts, but I did grab a G25W for my spool. Loaded the motor, borrowed a thin mil 12" chute from Brad (aka Uncle Vanya--thanks!) and headed to the pad. The G25W was all that I expected! Being a fresh load it lit right up and lofted the spool a few hundred feet. Maybe 500'? The long burn was AWESOME. Great spool motor. I cut the delay to the minimum 4 seconds but it was more like a 2. I didn't factor in that this was a long burn motor...makes sense. 2 seconds was actually perfect, but the chute tangled so it had a 'bounce' landing:) No harm done other than cooking the chute a bit. I'll be replacing that...
[video=youtube_share;iji3Cu3NCWY]https://youtu.be/iji3Cu3NCWY[/video]

Next I decided to put the Ultimate up on some kind of cluster. I've really been enjoying the new AeroTech DMS single use so I got an H115DM and some Estes D12's from Ken. I put the H in the center and used unsheathed medium thermalite (along with some BP and lots of tape) to airstart (2) D12s. Great boost from the H115DM with a great airstart right after burnout........and then another at apogee!! Before heading to the pad I noticed the pyrogen on one piece of thermalite was chipped up an half gone. I quickly replaced it with a longer piece... Instead of cutting it to the same length I just doubled it up under the nozzle, thinking it would light all at once and burn off. Nope. It burnt the full length of the fuse and the second D lit right at apogee. It might've pushed it back down a bit but the 'chute still deployed nominally for a soft landing by the pads.
ultimateapr27.jpg
[video=youtube_share;2pCrMNe5Gj4]https://youtu.be/2pCrMNe5Gj4[/video]

I thought I was done, but I had some time left so I put the Big Brute up on a G64-4W. Great boost and perfect deployment but re-cracked the already repaired fin, despite a soft landing. D'oh!

Overall it was a great day with gorgeous weather. More videos from the launch including a killer K695R flight can be found on my YouTube page below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozHHUDUdgJjEraFXYs8OsQ

EDIT: I guess this was more of a personal launch report...oh well, too late!:cool:

Last edited:
To be clear, that photo was a shot from a field nearby on my way in. The wildflowers were irresistible. Our field isn't much different… Certainly "tree locked". All we have is 5000'... We make the best of it!

Back